Music: What do you think of the 80s?

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
There were some good artists: Prince, Dire Straits, U2, Kate Bush, Eurhythmics, Tina Turner, Talking Heads, David Bowie, and early pre-1984/Jump Van Halen. Most of the rest of the singles/pop hits played on MTV and the radio were horrible.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The 80s are a pivotal decade for the music I like (metal and punk). There was a lot of experimentation, and a lot of bands had an authentic sound because of that. The synth-heavy new wave thing started to get on my nerves after a while, though, outside of a band like Talk Talk. Depeche Mode was okay, I guess.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
The 80s are a pivotal decade for the music I like (metal and punk). There was a lot of experimentation, and a lot of bands had an authentic sound because of that. The synth-heavy new wave thing started to get on my nerves after a while, though, outside of a band like Talk Talk. Depeche Mode was okay, I guess.
Agreed. I love New Wave and Punk but forgot about them while I was writing that post.

Reactions: Hippasus

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Much of the problem in the 1980s was the sharply reduced budgets for acts. And that meant going lean, introducing new technologies to fill that palette. That could mean replacing a drummer with a drum machine, or guitars, strings and so forth by synthesizers. Many of the experiments failed but some mistakes became genre-definers like the Roland TB-303.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I'm of the firm belief that we'll never see another decade like the 80's when it comes to experimentation across almost all genres of music and the sheer amount of greatness across all the genres.

That's not to say that the best music and bands of all times came from that decade, but that taken as a whole, you'd be hard pressed to find another with so much happening during it. Bands like Metallica, Van Halen (yeah late 70's but the 80's they were in a different stratosphere), Duran Duran, Madonna, The Cure, Guns N Roses, Depeche Mode, the whole Hair Metal scene, punk rock, NWA, the list goes on and on.

I'm sure many would disagree, and that's cool, but it's just my opinion.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
imho the 80's was the last decade where the bar was real high on pop music. the artists were killers!!!! U2, police, dire straits, van halen, prince, mj, madonna, hall and oates, and so on. even those one hit wonders - a lot of those songs once you heard them they would be permanently embedded inside your head, and you didn't mind that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After the 60's, my favourite decade for rock and pop music. So many great New Wave bands and some resurging established acts like Roxy Music and Neil Young as well.

Reactions: MakeTheGoalsLarger

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Other than acts mentioned, you had the alt-college bands led by R.E.M. making an impact. This really is its own genre of music. Also, the birth of electronic music and rap into the mainstream. Post-punk and new wave which have been mentioned (add Hoodoo Gurus, INXS, Blondie, Echo And The Bunnymen, Go-Go's, The Smiths, Midnight Oil)

You had 70's artists like Queen, Springsteen, Elton, Jackson Browne, Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder, Genesis, Billy Joel, McCartney, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, etc., still having great ouput (along with Bowie and others mentioned).

For melodic music that rocked it couldn't be beat (again sticking with artists not mentioned yet): Heart, Journey, Richard Marx, Foreigner, Leppard, John Cougar Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, Rick Springfield, Tears For Fears, Billy Idol, The Cars, Bangles, AC-DC.

Pure pop artists not mentioned with huge chart presence: Whitney Houston, George Michael, Olivia Newton-John, Laura Branigan, Kenny Rogers, Sheena Easton, Paula Abdul, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins,

My Best-Carey

Dec 29, 2004
So diverse.

The births of New Wave, Speed Metal, Rap, Gangsta Rap, and Teddy Riley's New Jack Swing sound, just to name a few.

There was a lot of good Country and R&B stuff too.

No one has mentioned how huge and important Mtv was. 120 Minutes, Head Bangers Ball, and Yo Mtv Raps.

Sony Walkman's and Boom Boxes galore... you could buy new stuff on Vynl, cassette, DAT, or CD.

Then you also had frauds like Milli Vanilli and C&C Music Factory.

It was easy to find stuff you didn't like, but there was so much goodness too.

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
80s was garbage , movies sucked but a handful, music sucked but a small amount, motorcycles sucked till mid to late 80s , I'd have worse things to say but the 80s gave us the beastie boys.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
There were some good artists: Prince, Dire Straits, U2, Kate Bush, Eurhythmics, Tina Turner, Talking Heads, David Bowie, and early pre-1984/Jump Van Halen. Most of the rest of the singles/pop hits played on MTV and the radio were horrible.
Graham Parker, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears, Billy Idol, Human League, The Cure, The Smiths, New Order, Yazoo, The Clash, Spandau Ballet, etc

Check out Live Aid, Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing". It's almost a religious experience

I was at Philly part of it. Truly awesome!

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
5 of my favourite bands to come out of the 80s
IMG_3533.gif
IMG_3532.gif
IMG_3535.gif
IMG_3534.gif
IMG_3536.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad