What do you think of Mike Johnston and the coaching staff/system

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
A little over one month into the NHL season and I think the positive differences are clear. From the line matching to the gameplan changes to the fundamental style... I think we are a much better coached team and I think that is being played out in the stats..
By this time last year the pens had played 17 games. they have played 13 to date this season. this year we have won 10 and lost 3 (77%win%), last year we won 11 and lost 6 (65% win%)

In the 17 games last season the pens goals for was 2.94 and their goals against was 2.35.

This season the goals for has been 4.23 and against is 2.07

more detailed breakdowns show:

we had 2 shutouts for (11.8%) and 1 against (5.9%) in 17 games last season.
This season we have 3 shutouts for (23.1%) and none against (0%)

Goals For: --2014-2015 - 2014-2015
----Over 5: - 0 -(00.0%)-- 3 -(23.1%)
----------5: - 2 -(11.8%)-- 2 -(15.4%)
----------4: - 4 -(23.5%)-- 2 -(15.4%) * each of these years contains a game with 4th goal on a shootout win)
----------3: - 7 -(41.2%)-- 5 -(38.5%)
----------2: - 0 -(00.0%)-- 1 -(07.7%)
----------1: - 3 -(17.6%)-- 0 -(00.0%)
----------0: - 1 -(05.9%)---0 -(00.0%)

Goals Agst: --2014-2015 - 2014-2015
----Over 5: - 1 -(05.9%)-- 0 -(00.0%)
----------5: - 1 -(05.9%)-- 1 -(07.7%)
----------4: - 3 -(17.6%)-- 2 -(15.4%)
----------3: - 1 -(05.9%)-- 3 -(23.1%)
----------2: - 5 -(29.4%)-- 1 -(07.7%)
----------1: - 4 -(23.5%)-- 3 -(23.1%)
----------0: - 2 -(11.8%)-- 3 -(23.1%)

So basically at this point of the season last years team was far less offensively proficient, and this years is far more consistent:
----Over 3: - 6 -(35.3%)-- 7 -(53.8%)
---Under 3: - 4 -(23.5%)-- 1 -(07.7%)
Defensively as well, last years team was very inconsistent, having more low scoring games against, but more high scoring on vs them too... :'
----Over 3: - 5 -(29.4%)-- 3 -(23.1%)
---Under 3: -11-(64.7%)-- 7 -(53.8%)

All in all for the first 15% of the season it looks to be a marked improvement both by the eye test and in the stats

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This thread is just way too early. To be fair - we cannot give a good answer until the entire 1st year PLUS playoffs are over.

The only thing we can say is that we had huge issues early on and they were quickly adjusted instead of just doing what DB did. PK - now doing very well. Breakout - getting better. D-zone - work in progress w/ improvements. Transition defense - meh I do see a lot more attention by our forwards.

Just way too early. Waaaay too early. So far I like the adjustments.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
The most noticeable thing for me is just that the team just moves the puck more intelligently. If there isn't a play up ice, then they'll regroup. If a shot to the net isn't the best play, they'll keep cycling. Some of the breakouts where the breaking winger lays the puck back to the center coming up with speed have been pretty nice to watch as well.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I guess it should also be noted that when Bylsma first took over, him loosening the reigns a bit was universally viewed as a great thing for some time. It took over a year for the real issues to start becoming evident so Cole is correct, it is too early to make any final judgments, but it does overall look much better in a myriad of places

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Decent start yes, but the roster is much much better now. I mean, Tanner Glass? Brooks Orpik? Those aren't players that deserve to play on a playoff team.

Let's wait till Johnston can get the Pens 1 win away from the 2nd round without Crosby+Malkin in the lineup and then we can compare. It's only 13-14 games into the season right now, and a lot of players are playing over their heads. There's no way Kunitz and Hornqvist are finishing the season over ppg, things like that aren't sustainable, as is the pk which seems unbeatable right now

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The most noticeable thing for me is just that the team just moves the puck more intelligently. If there isn't a play up ice, then they'll regroup. If a shot to the net isn't the best play, they'll keep cycling. Some of the breakouts where the breaking winger lays the puck back to the center coming up with speed have been pretty nice to watch as well.
Good call. The puck management is so much better and its not just simple, safe role player hockey.

So far I like what I see. There seems to be a nice balance between structure and freelance, its not soccer/ hockey and I like the details in the Pens game. I'm down right loving the structure around MAF and how he doesn't have to cover his own back door anymore.

To be honest I really thought the Pens would be hot crap until about mid-Dec. Full marks to MJ and company for having this team prepared and working out some kinks along the way.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Good call. The puck management is so much better and its not just simple, safe role player hockey.

So far I like what I see. There seems to be a nice balance between structure and freelance, its not soccer/ hockey and I like the details in the Pens game. I'm down right loving the structure around MAF and how he doesn't have to cover his own back door anymore.

To be honest I really thought the Pens would be hot crap until about mid-Dec. Full marks to MJ and company for having this team prepared and working out some kinks along the way.

Love all the things mentioned here, but the bolded has won me over the most so far.

Also: time management. Under 16 min for Crosby today. Love it.

Michael8771*

So far so good system wise. Not real thrilled with how the second line is configured. Love the puck support and puck possession mentality.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Too soon to tell. Almost any team is going to respond to a new coaching staff in a positive manner early on. Whether it's guys trying to make good first impressions or just guys that are fearful of their lack of a role with the new staff.

Having said that this seems to be a great staff that can make excellent adjustments in-game and through-out the season, as evidenced by how quickly the PK went from putrid to excellent.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The early returns have been impressive, even if there are some questionable personnel decisions being made.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

This. Of course it is too early to really evaluate as everyone agrees, but this part is too obvious not to run with.
Last season we were one of the teams in the league with he most giveaways. This season we're very stingy in that regard so far. Reason, stretch pass idiocy is a thing of the past, and that leads to less situations where our players are forced into high-risk plays. That in itself has made us a fundamentally more solid hockey team.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He makes adjustments mid-game and uses timeouts correctly. For those two simple reasons, he's already 100x the coach Bylsma ever was.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Almost any team is going to respond to a new coaching staff in a positive manner early on.

Uh, really? Maybe when they've been absolute crap with the previous coach but most certainly not when they've been competitive.
I expected much, much worse record-wise early in the season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I love that Tocchet is working on turning Letang into a gunner. It's something I've felt that should have been done years ago. It's not a given it will happen, but if Tocchet can pull it off, it will dramatically change the way teams have to defend this team.

Most other points have been touched upon above, but here is a great article written by my favorite writer, Kevin Allen, detailing how Crosby is adjusting to MJs system:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...guins-mike-johnston-puck-possession/18671549/

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Not perfect, but better than the Bylsma regime. Far fewer head-scratching decisions, a clear commitment to puck possession, near-elimination of a few awful old habits...i like what I've seen a lot.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I love that Tocchet is working on turning Letang into a gunner. It's something I've felt that should have been done years ago. It's not a given it will happen, but if Tocchet can pull it off, it will dramatically change the way teams have to defend this team.

Most other points have been touched upon above, but here is a great article written by my favorite writer, Kevin Allen, detailing how Crosby is adjusting to MJs system:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...guins-mike-johnston-puck-possession/18671549/

Allen is great. Thanks for linking it, I must have missed it before.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
As others have said its to early to judge MJ, at the end of the season nobody is going to care how these 82 games went unless a collapse happens.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Enjoying them being smarter with the puck rather than just going North like they're life depends on it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
They're much farther along breaking bad habits than I expected at this point in the season, though they still have a ways to go. It was beneficial for us to have a relatively light schedule in the first few weeks.

I love the way they're playing though.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
It's too early to tell, but I'm quite pleased with how Johnston is handling the young talent on the squad.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
They are funner to watch for sure but judgement will be reserved until playoffs. Bylsma had all the regular season success as well.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, look at Despres and Bortuzzo. They're both playing extremely well and there's a night and day difference between their games under each coach. Much more confidence, and freedom to actually play and develop rather than be expected to deliver a flawless game night in and night out.

Imagine if Despres and Bort had another year of development and play under their belts under this regime. Scuderi would've already been jettisoned and Martin probably would have been moved for help up front, and Harrington would probably be in Despres' shoes right now in terms of play/development.

Man, **** Shero for saddling us with so much crap before he was given the boot. Scuderi and Dupuis' contracts are awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad