HF Habs: What do you prefer? A rebuild (top 5 picks) or a Cinderella hopeful playoff team?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Either you're really bad with math or you,re deluded about what prime years actually are.

Gotta love all these players that are 24, 25 or 26 in three years having wasted their prime years. Gallagher might not have many great years left in the tank, especially given his style of play, but for the rest, you're just unnecessarily being an alarmist.

If you'd mentioned Weber, maybe. Price? Somewhat.
So if we rebuild for 3 years, the 24 years old will be 27 by then, add a another 3 to 4 years for those prospects we drafted during the rebuild to be ready to make an impact and the 24 years old is now in his 30's. Easy math bud:thumbu:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
So a hard rebuild would include this:
- trade Pacioretty, Weber, Price, Petry, Shaw
- build around the remaining 25 and under core: Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete, Lindgren, Poeling, Brook, etc
- maybe trade 1-2 of the above for younger players and/or picks
- aim to be really bad for another 3 years

A Cinderella playoff team would include:
- trade Galchenyuk or Pacioretty for a young LD like Hayden Fleury or a Centre like RNH
- go hard after Tavares
- go hard after Statsny
- go hard after Jack Johnson

A reset would include this:
- trade Pacioretty, Shaw, one of Weber/Petry
- go hard after Tavares
- use some picks/prospects as assets in trades where the most glaring holes on the team are
- aim to be bad next year

I don't really see us being able to trade Price and Weber and Petry and Shaw so I vote reset. An unbiased poll would include this as a third option.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The big problem with a rebuild is that we have an incompetent GM so the rebuild will fail. We have an incompetent owner, so when he finally does decide to replace his incompetent GM he's likely going to hire another incompetent.

So the question really boils down to whether it's more entertaining to watch a losing team with some great players, or a team that gives you some great playoff memories but never goes that far.
That's really sad, but accurate.

I'd probably take the Edmonton-with-McDavid route, myself. At least the 82 season games will offer some reason to watch, even if there's none beyond that. Continually watching a mediocre team that's always 1-and-done just offers tedium.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
- go hard after Tavares
- use some picks/prospects as assets in trades where the most glaring holes on the team are

I don't really see us being able to trade Price and Weber and Petry and Shaw so I vote reset. An unbiased poll would include this as a third option.

I'm with you on reset.

If we're extremely lucky and get Tavares and Dahlin and have the right "attitude" (healthy Weber, old Price, Drouin breakout, another great Gallagher year, Hudon & Lehkonen taking another step forward, improved PK, etc. etc.) we'll make the playoffs. But I'd be perfectly fine if luck doesn't find us with Tavares and Dahlin and we miss the playoffs again as long our young guys improve and we're making the right moves, not band-aid moves.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
What I found confusing in this board is board members saying we suck and need a rebuild while crying after every defeat. If we go for a full rebuild, we are going to suck and lose a lot for the next 2-3 years. And no we are not going to be entertaining before the start of the new era. The Nordique onlys started to being entertaining when they had a chance to enter the playoffs.

That being said... I am in for a complete rebuild, but I can't say I'm going to watch a lot of games for the next two years... unless we get a lot of young exiting players every year.

There's a way of saying certain things yo keep the expectations lower. Take for example when he came in in 2012. Nobody had any expectation for the mess of a team we had. We ended up having a great season.

It sets expectations when you have a GM that comes out in the summer and swears that his defensive core is better, especially when he is leaving 9 milion sleeping in cap space.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
So a hard rebuild would include this:
- trade Pacioretty, Weber, Price, Petry, Shaw
- build around the remaining 25 and under core: Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete, Lindgren, Poeling, Brook, etc
- maybe trade 1-2 of the above for younger players and/or picks
- aim to be really bad for another 3 years

A Cinderella playoff team would include:
- trade Galchenyuk or Pacioretty for a young LD like Hayden Fleury or a Centre like RNH
- go hard after Tavares
- go hard after Statsny
- go hard after Jack Johnson

- go hard after Tavares

you better offer 7 year at 16mil/per to Tavares if you plan to tank

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Islanders have Tavares and they still suck. Even if we get him, there is a good chance we will continue to suck as well.

I disagree. We're more stacked at wing than they are. They don't have a Price or a Weber.

Sure our D would need a tweek, but we're a better team with JT than the Isles are with JT.

It's just not happening though.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
- go hard after Tavares

So... Tavares would like to leave a losing team only to join another one? He would be ready to waste another year of losing games? I don't think so. If Tavares does indeed leave NY, he's going to go to a contender. Teams like St. Louis and San Jose would be easy/better choices (and they have capspace for him).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So... Tavares would like to leave a losing team only to join another one? He would be ready to waste another year of losing games? I don't think so. If Tavares does indeed leave NY, he's going to go to a contender. Teams like St. Louis and San Jose would be easy/better choices (and they have capspace for him).

San Jose wouldnt surprise me.

It's probably liklier than most other places.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I disagree. We're more stacked at wing than they are. They don't have a Price or a Weber.

Sure our D would need a tweek, but we're a better team with JT than the Isles are with JT.

It's just not happening though.
Sure, we're a better team than the Islanders but doesn't mean we're a good team. And our D doesn't need a tweak so much as a complete overhaul. Tavares obviously isn't coming but even if he did - do you really trust that Marc can fix the D? I don't... I guess it'll get us back in the playoffs in the 6-8 seed and then who knows? Anything can happen. That's the Bergevin dream.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

I hear you, I think if you actually are successful in signing Tavares you would be hard pressed to actually tank.

St Louis is interesting because they're obviously a good team but goaltending has been their achilles heel. If I'm Tavares do I want to go from one bad goaltending situation to another? Maybe not.

I'm most scared of Tampa. Good god that would be ugly if he signs the same deal Stamkos did just so they can have a super team. Yikes.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I hear you, I think if you actually are successful in signing Tavares you would be hard pressed to actually tank.

St Louis is interesting because they're obviously a good team but goaltending has been their achilles heel. If I'm Tavares do I want to go from one bad goaltending situation to another? Maybe not.

I'm most scared of Tampa. Good god that would be ugly if he signs the same deal Stamkos did just so they can have a super team. Yikes.

Kucherov - Tavares - Stamkos on one line? please no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad