Player Discussion What do we have in J.T. Miller? | Part 2

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Does this mean the trade was good?
We over paid at time of trade but who knows maybe we had to beat another offer?? All I know is turned out to be a deal I make again every time. Miller has exceeded all expectations and has helped the development of Pettersson for sure. He has also been a great influence on the rest of the team and a leader. Benning done good here.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We gave up our first round pick for him.
Totally worth it. The experience these kids are getting too, going through the Wild then knocking out the defending champs... there's so much value in that.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Trading a first rounder and a third rounder for a player like J.T. Miller is almost universally a 'bad idea' for a lottery team. Looking back, the Canucks traded Jared McCann, a high second rounder and a fourth rounder to the Panthers for Erik Gudbranson. And look how that turned out.

But in this case, J.T. Miller looks like a 'home-run' trade for the Canucks. He's exactly the leader on and off the ice that this team needed. And better still, he's on a cost-controlled contract for another couple of seasons.

You have to give props to Benning on this one. Miller was coming off a fairly down year with the Lightning. Who would have predicted that he's start his career with the Canucks like he was shot out of a cannon?

And of course the longer the Canucks go into the playoffs, the lower the first rounder becomes. Bolts traded it to the Devils anyway, and it comes in now likely in the 21-26 range.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Trading a first rounder and a third rounder for a player like J.T. Miller is almost universally a 'bad idea' for a lottery team. Looking back, the Canucks traded Jared McCann, a high second rounder and a fourth rounder to the Panthers for Erik Gudbranson. And look how that turned out.

But in this case, J.T. Miller looks like a 'home-run' trade for the Canucks. He's exactly the leader on and off the ice that this team needed. And better still, he's on a cost-controlled contract for another couple of seasons.

You have to give props to Benning on this one. Miller was coming off a fairly down year with the Lightning. Who would have predicted that he's start his career with the Canucks like he was shot out of a cannon?

And of course the longer the Canucks go into the playoffs, the lower the first rounder becomes. Bolts traded it to the Devils anyway, and it comes in now likely in the 21-26 range.
Both are 'win now' trades..The Gudbranson trade was made with the intent of bolstering the blueline in the failed ' compete on the fly' era...

Benning didnt think this team was a lottery team last summer..after he landed his 1D, he was ready to gamble...and it paid off..Benning was right, Linden was wrong.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
At worst that pick is 20. In a draft that drops off a cliff after the top 12ish.

One of the best trades in Franchise history. Absolute homerun.

Reactions: MarkMM

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
We over paid at time of trade but who knows maybe we had to beat another offer?? All I know is turned out to be a deal I make again every time. Miller has exceeded all expectations and has helped the development of Pettersson for sure. He has also been a great influence on the rest of the team and a leader. Benning done good here.
totally agree brother.. damn good trade... Miller is a spark plug for us.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What I love about JT Miller is he brings a veteran presence as well as a young, is dirty but not dirty enough to be deemed as a scummy player, very effective on the ice in a top-six role, can play centre or wing, doesn't have the best accuracy but gets himself in good positioning as has a really hard and strong shot, and compliments the young players in terms of team play. I think the downside is he can get too passionate sometimes, where he overacts.

Was sceptical when Benning traded a 1st for him when they could've gotten him for a lot less, but it looks like a steal now.

I hope he's with the Canucks for a long time. I'm talking till retirement.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Was sceptical when Benning traded a 1st for him when they could've gotten him for a lot less, but it looks like a steal now.

Couldn't have gotten him for a lot less. Just a few days later Vegas-- in a cap bind as much as Tampa was-- got a 2nd + 5th for Colin Miller who is a 4/5 defenceman in his best seasons.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I love how he's on a breakaway and when Theodore catches up to him how he hits him into Lehner, gets under Karlsson's skin, then draws a penalty on Pacioretty.

I hope he does enough to get 9 retired by the Canucks. Plus nine was such a cursed number in Prust, Leipsic, best someone is known for it and hope one day it's JT Miller. Such a good fit on the Canucks, would love him on the Jets but the Canucks are too good of a fit for him that the Canucks should hold onto him until retirement.

Reactions: David71 and BWJM

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
His wrist is clearly a major issue for him, he looks like a completely different player right now.

It should be noted that he’s only take two faceoffs since Game 4 of the St. Louis series.

If it wasn’t the playoffs, I’d expect him to be out, possibly even needing surgery.

Really highlights how important he was for us in the regular season. Amazing on the faceoffs and driving the offensive play.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Super impressed with him standing up to Reaves post-whistle bullying in the crease in game 5. Reaves started to mess with him and he absolutely smashed him in return and Reaves was clearly rattled as he slowly backed off from a glaring JT who seemed more than ready to provide him a follow-up if he stepped any closer. Just one of those tiny moments that leads to momentum turn...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The student became the sensei. Sure, he's hurt, but he's still finds a way to deliver. I'm very impressed by him. His veteran presence, his skillset, his mindset and his experience was a perfect mix for all the Canucks youngsters to have in the room. Maybe he's not the best in any category, but he's so solid in all of them. A well grounded, humble but feisty veteran who's easy to like is a treasure for this team. And that he's such a badass at faceoffs is certainly a thing that should be acknowledged.

That he had a hand in both goals last game in his condition speaks lengths of his commitment.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He is honestly captain material. Do it all player that can literally play in any situation, point per game, gritty, elite faceoffs. Perfect winger for Elias, too

Definitely playing hurt but still putting up points like no tomorrow

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
32 Goals, 56 Assist and 88 points in 84 games. This guy is becoming an elite point producer. This playoffs is showing me that he can continue to be that way.

Also he's doing this with a speculated injury. I'd love for JT and Horvat to be a mentor for Podkolzin in the coming years.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Reason I give JT Miller the MVP of the Canucks Playoffs is because he's brought that missing puzzle piece to that team. He's also been playing every single role where it's been a big help to that team. A mixture of an agitator, physicality, veteran leadership presence, heart, but most notably for me offensive help. But what I like about Miller is he isn't a dirty player, but super effective.

Hughes would be a close second for me and Pettersson after that for Canucks Playoff MVP.

Such a good fit for the Canucks and deserves an A on his jersey next season. Hope he retires there and gets his number retired considering before Miller and after Tanti, nine was such a cursed number.

Reactions: David71

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Reason I give JT Miller the MVP of the Canucks Playoffs is because he's brought that missing puzzle piece to that team. He's also been playing every single role where it's been a big help to that team. A mixture of an agitator, physicality, veteran leadership presence, heart, but most notably for me offensive help. But what I like about Miller is he isn't a dirty player, but super effective.

Hughes would be a close second for me and Pettersson after that for Canucks Playoff MVP.

Such a good fit for the Canucks and deserves an A on his jersey next season. Hope he retires there and gets his number retired considering before Miller and after Tanti, nine was such a cursed number.

A player of Millers calibre shouldnt even be in consideration for jersey retirement in my opinion but then again I also think only #22 and #33 are deserving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad