Player Discussion What do we have in J.T. Miller? | Part 2

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Worth a first rounder and more right now. Probably around the 4th or 5th most important Canuck on this roster. Could probably even argue he’s top 3

This year? He's easily top 3. Hughes, Markstrom, Miller. I'd put him over Pettersson this year (not to underrate Petey but that's just how good Miller has been)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This year? He's easily top 3. Hughes, Markstrom, Miller. I'd put him over Pettersson this year (not to underrate Petey but that's just how good Miller has been)

I think the difference is, Pettersson has done this without Miller. I have yet to see Miller do this without a guy like Pettersson on his line. Take it for what it is, but I put Pettersson much higher than Miller.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think the difference is, Pettersson has done this without Miller. I have yet to see Miller do this without a guy like Pettersson on his line. Take it for what it is, but I put Pettersson much higher than Miller.

Fair point. They definitely bring each other up and both players drive play almost equally as much. This is a great thing to be discussing :)

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
It’s the philosophy of building an elite core thru the draft vs speeding the build up by trading away firsts for 26 year old guys (Miller is clearly worth what we paid) to squeak us into the playoffs. Are Petey and Hughes enough elite guys to win a Cup? Miller is a really good player, but is he at the same level of Petey and Hughes? That first, if we don’t make the trade, is likely a lottery pick this coming draft. Getting another elite young guy to go with Petey and Hughes would greatly increase our chances of winning a cup. IMO.

People are acting as if it's normal to draft elite players like Petey and Hughes. Like it's expected by management to get the BPA at their draft position. We've been super lucky to be able to do so the last 2 years however I would bet the odds are less than 20% of finding a player as good or better than Miller in the position we are gonna draft this year. Coupled with the fact we would have to wait at least 2-3 years for that to happen I take Miller all day long over what might have been.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
JT Miller. What a great acquisition. If you look at his career he was progressing as a player until his last season as a Ranger. And then he had that hot start with Tampa and took a dip last season. This season, I think he finally put it together and it actually shouldn't come as a big surprise that he's having a career year. He hasn't been shuffled back and forth between wing and C, wasn't forced to play 3rd line C, and he's been playing with great players. If you ask Rangers fans who have watched Miller play for many years I don't think most of them are surprised that Miller is having this type of success. The potential and toolset was always there. It's just the Benning haters who think Miller is nothing more than a 2nd line winger.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
People are acting as if it's normal to draft elite players like Petey and Hughes. Like it's expected by management to get the BPA at their draft position. We've been super lucky to be able to do so the last 2 years however I would bet the odds are less than 20% of finding a player as good or better than Miller in the position we are gonna draft this year. Coupled with the fact we would have to wait at least 2-3 years for that to happen I take Miller all day long over what might have been.

Agreed. Not entirely sure why you quoted my post, I’ve been a supporter of that trade since day 1.

I was simply refuting Pettersson and Miller being remotely equal in play, I feel Pettersson has been much better. But, as others have said, the fact that we’re even debating this on two ~PPG players we didn’t have two years ago is quite nice.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Agreed. Not entirely sure why you quoted my post, I’ve been a supporter of that trade since day 1.

I was simply refuting Pettersson and Miller being remotely equal in play, I feel Pettersson has been much better. But, as others have said, the fact that we’re even debating this on two ~PPG players we didn’t have two years ago is quite nice.

Ahhh interesting - I didn't get that part about your thoughts re Pettersson. While i agree to a certain extent I don't think the gap in their play has been as much as you might suggest. Miller does soo many things well and has been driving play - Petey is obviously the more skilled of the two (he's one of the top guys in the league in that regard) however it's impossible to overlook Miller's impact on our team.

And yes.........pretty remarkable that we are even having this conversation. Just goes to show u how quickly things can change.

Reactions: Luck 6

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Hilarious that JT Miller was largely thought of as a cap dump by fans around the league at the time of the trade. He's the definition of an age gap strategy trade done right. His playmaking on the ice activates Pettersson and Hughes to do more out there with the space he creates and the speed/skill he brings. Off the ice, his mentorship has aided the development of young players like Virtanen who gain invaluable experience everyday in doing the right things on the mental and strategical side of the game from Miller's advice given what he's learned overcoming that adversity earlier in his career.

Reactions: MarkMM

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Current goals = 20
Career high goals = 22

Current assists = 32
Career high assists = 34

Games remaining 30. Lets goooo.

Actually his career high in goals is 23 and career high in assists is 35.

But yes point taken .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad