• Stand pat

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • Trade the pick for a younger player with term

Votes: 28 33.3%

• Total voters

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No team is trading 15th and a player like Berggren for 7th overall. Prices to jump that high are way more than that and JB is not highly regarded league wide.
Berggren will be 24 by the start of next year and played 12 games in the NHL this year. I don't think he is nearly this trade chip people are making him out to be.

Reactions: Gniwder and Oddbob

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't understand the push-back on the idea of acquiring a good starting goalie. In fact, I think it's wildly irresponsible to plan to just sit with what we have. You should probably be boarded for even implying as much :hit:

Even if Sebastian Cossa is ready to be a reliable starting goaltender for the Red Wings in 2025-26 (which I don't believe), there's still a big gap in the timeline/depth for this organization. Plus, this isn't the 90s or 00s, very few teams have a starter getting 65 games anymore. You need two goalies. And considering Cossa is not even a sure thing, whoa, this team could be in deep trouble real quick with what we currently have.

Go get a starting goalie, Stevie. Let Reimer walk, dump Husso, and go with new guy as 1A and Lyon as 1B. Lyon is your bridge to Cossa. A starter we acquire is "the guy" for a while. And that bridges the organization to the point where Cossa might be able to be good in 55 games a season at the NHL level. And if Augustine is ready by the point our "new" goalie is on his way out, he moves into 1B role; otherwise, go get another goalie at that time.

24/2525/2626/2727/2828/29
1ANew guyNew guyNew guyNew guy/CossaCossa
1BLyonLyon/CossaCossaCossa/New guyAugustine
I'm totally cool with adding a starting net minder, I just don't know who you get and for what price? I do not want to trade 15th overall for Markstrom for example. He's showing the signs of aging out- he had a .905 save percentage to our very own Alex Lyon's .904 last year (Markstrom is still clearly the better goalie).

If we're going to pay to add a goalie beyond Yzerman's usual "build a platoon from the discount aisle and hope one of them gets hot," then I need it to be a legitimate upgrade. Now give me the legit, starting NHL goalie under contract for the foreseeable future that you think you can get for 15th overall, and I'll sign on the dotted line.

Reactions: jaster

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Fine with going with any of those 3, but not with our 15th overall pick.
I agree, get a bargain on one of them if you can, if not, back to plan B, run with what we have and pick someone up later if needed, the team is still in a building mode.

I think once 2 of those are off the board, the last one might be had pretty cheaply, many of the teams dreaming of a big goalie upgrade are already in cap hell for next season and will looking at the cheaper FA lotto tickets.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I've got Markstrom circled as the perfect candidate. Two years left on his contract. He was a bright spot for that Calgary team and kept them in a lot of games they didn't deserve to be in, so his stats don't look amazing, but he played well on the whole.

Calgary was in trade talks with NJ and LA about Markstrom at the deadline, but Markstrom has a NMC that complicated things. According to rumors, so grain of salt, Markstrom shut down a trade to LA because he didn't want to live on the West Coast. Is Detroit suitable for him? He wants to be on a playoff team, by all indications. Does he think if he's in Detroit he can make them one? Moreso than NJ or other suitors? Markstrom will have a say where he goes.

But what isn't rumor is that Markstrom is well aware he's on the trade block and is talking like a guy with one foot already out the door.

Asked where he saw himself playing next season, the Flames netminder offered up a simple, “I don’t know.”
Coupled with Craig Conroy’s suggestion, “time will tell,” it’s not much of a stretch to conclude the final two years of Markstrom’s contract will be played elsewhere.
If you can get Markstrom for a 2nd, sure. I think he's getting old and frankly, probably only a small improvement on Lyon over the coming years.

No team is trading 7th overall for 15th and a player like Berggren. Prices to jump that high are way more than that and JB is not highly regarded league wide.
Fixed that for you. If I could trade 15 + Berggren for 13, I'd do that happily.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Alot of ppl are talking about dealing our 1st for a goalie which is ridiculous to me. I think were destined to go back with husso lyon unless hes really hurt

That's who Id target in free agency if were going with a 3 goalie system again. Husso with his salary is someone we can pur on waivers if it ever came to that and have 0 worries he'd be claimed

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I voted stand pat, the wings last 15 OA looks pretty promising, even if a few years away, you still need a stable of solid prospects as a building team, the reality is, SY should and will do what makes the team better and pounce on opportunities that arise. So if there was an option to vote, let SY do as he sees best, I would have picked that.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I voted stand pat, the wings last 15 OA looks pretty promising, even if a few years away, you still need a stable of solid prospects as a building team, the reality is, SY should and will do what makes the team better and pounce on opportunities that arise. So if there was an option to vote, let SY do as he sees best, I would have picked that.
I vote for trade , but I believe SY will draft at #15

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If you can get Markstrom for a 2nd, sure. I think he's getting old and frankly, probably only a small improvement on Lyon over the coming years.

Fixed that for you. If I could trade 15 + Berggren for 13, I'd do that happily.
You would give up 15 and JB to move up 2 spots? To target whom? That seems like a huge overpayment

Reactions: PelagicJoe

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I vote for trade , but I believe SY will draft at #15
I think he will, if all goes well, it may be the last time they pick in the top 15 for quite a while, next year maybe open for another one, but certainly by the 25/26 season and onwards, I suspect SY is expecting to be drafting 22-32 range on a regular basis for a while barring any major injuries.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think he will, if all goes well, it may be the last time they pick in the top 15 for quite a while, next year maybe open for another one, but certainly by the 25/26 season and onwards, I suspect SY is expecting to be drafting 22-32 range on a regular basis for a while barring any major injuries.
I hope so

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I voted stand pat but I would definitely support moving it as part of a package for an impact player, (preferably a forward) if possible.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Giving up the assets for a markstrom to me is nonsensical. Giving up top assets for 2 years of a guy where were nowhere near cup contention makes no sense

If cossa isn't playing more than 15 to 25 games in 2 years then why's he even going to be here ?? He'd play alot more than that ... to me unless lyon completely shits the bed he should be extended

He tired out towards the end of the year and he shat the bed. If we can control his starts he can be a good tandem with cossa for a year. You get markstrom and cossa is down another 2 years in g.r

Be a bad idea to also bring him in and stick him on the bench for 50-60 games

You want him to play games. Yzerman wont make him stick around to sit on his ass. If anything youd need a tandem goalie In 2 years. Markstrom isn't the answer
I think goalies by and large slowly get brought up/into the NHL..

I fully expect Cossa to be in GR next year minus a few, 2 to 5, NHL games...then the following year ideally he is slotted in as the teams backup getting in 20 to 30 games, before he either becomes a splitter or ideally a legit #1 goalie starting 50 to 55 games in 26/27...

That's a 3 year plan that's pretty reasonable...

It's possible he comes up sooner due to injury, steals the job and runs with it cause he plays so well...I'd caution against planning for that..

If we could get Markstrom with his 2 year contract, the timing would be perfect, both for the team today and Cossas timetable...

That said, I think SY runs back Husso and Lyon next year

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I think goalies by and large slowly get brought up/into the NHL..

I fully expect Cossa to be in GR next year minus a few, 2 to 5, NHL games...then the following year ideally he is slotted in as the teams backup getting in 20 to 30 games, before he either becomes a splitter or ideally a legit #1 goalie starting 50 to 55 games in 26/27...

That's a 3 year plan that's pretty reasonable...

It's possible he comes up sooner due to injury, steals the job and runs with it cause he plays so well...I'd caution against planning for that..

If we could get Markstrom with his 2 year contract, the timing would be perfect, both for the team today and Cossas timetable...

That said, I think SY runs back Husso and Lyon next year
Think its pointless to bring up cossa in 2 years to play 25 games ,cant see it happening

Spencer knight is in the ahl at 23 ,cant see cossa at 22-23 playing 20ish games. Although knight is 23 in the AHL they have similar start games (think he was hurt)

Ideally for me would be a tandem duo in 2 years unless he obviously takes off. I dont want a clear #1 here though,makes no sense and hed just stay down 2 more years which unless he busts shouldn't happen

I do think lyon and husso comes back, one more year of meh

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
You would give up 15 and JB to move up 2 spots? To target whom? That seems like a huge overpayment
Like Frk It said, the point is more that JB has probably almost no value around the league at this point. I don't think he gets you anywhere near 8 spots to get you from 15 to 7 as suggested earlier. He gets you 2 or 3 to 13 or 12. Small, middle six scoring wingers are often available in free agency without having to pay a premium. Berggren has been unable to establish himself in Detroit, as a young player on a rebuilding team which is a pretty bad look. The other GMs know whether Stevie Y was blowing up their phones all season to move a forward and get Berggren on the team. I'd bet he wasn't.

While I feel the team needs a C most, I don't really like the Cs in our range too much. Thus if I had to pick targets, I would happily call with 15 + Berggren while Buium, or Yakemchuk are still around. I imagine that if Helenius or MBN hang around, they'd be be Yzerman's targets.

I'm not even going to pretend the Eiserman is likely since he will probably go before our pick, and we'd likely skip him anyway if he is there. I feel like Hage is a more Stevie Y forward and if someone like those above doesn't drop, that means Hage should be around.

To be honest, I feel like the prospect rankings have been changing a lot down the stretch. I'm not sure exactly who to expect to go where. I need to see the TSN list to know who to expect will be around.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
As always, it depends who/what is available. Make a deal if someone that makes a material difference is available for a decent price, stand pat otherwise.

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
MBN should go around 15 - if that's your target wait for him. If we want to take a quantum leap, we need to be in the 8-9 range for Iginla and that's who I'd target or get excited about giving Berggren up for.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
MBN should go around 15 - if that's your target wait for him. If we want to take a quantum leap, we need to be in the 8-9 range for Iginla and that's who I'd target or get excited about giving Berggren up for.

I'd also be interested in Catton and Helenius if they start slipping because of size concerns.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If it's me, I'm trading up or trading out. We do not need more prospect depth. We need high end NHL talent among each of the position groups and/or long term high end offensive upside. I'd consider paying a pretty penny to move up into the top 10 if the right guy and right deal manifests. Or move that pick for a quality NHL player and hopefully dump some salary along the way (Holl, Fabbri, etc).

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Connely is my favorite player in the draft, followed closely by Chernysov. Really don’t see TC being there at 15, but I’d be very happy with either being taken there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00