• Stand pat

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • Trade the pick for a younger player with term

Votes: 28 33.3%

• Total voters

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Just keep drafting unless an actual star player becomes available who wants to sign here long term like Debrincat 2.0. Need a constant pipeline of home grown, cheap talent if you want to be good and have a long contending window... which I do believe is coming eventually.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Where do you get a legitimate upgrade in net from????
Potential free agent acquisitions and trade proposals are not my cup of tea, so I have no idea. But I've seen a lot of comments from posters about acquiring guys like Markstrom, Gibson, or Ullmark. I don't know what the odds are of getting any of those guys, but regardless, there have been people essentially saying we shouldn't even pursue them, because organizationally our situation in net is fine. And I found that odd. It's very much not fine imo. And I'm a guy who likes Lyon and believes in Cossa.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where do you get a legitimate upgrade in net from????

I've got Markstrom circled as the perfect candidate. Two years left on his contract. He was a bright spot for that Calgary team and kept them in a lot of games they didn't deserve to be in, so his stats don't look amazing, but he played well on the whole.

Calgary was in trade talks with NJ and LA about Markstrom at the deadline, but Markstrom has a NMC that complicated things. According to rumors, so grain of salt, Markstrom shut down a trade to LA because he didn't want to live on the West Coast. Is Detroit suitable for him? He wants to be on a playoff team, by all indications. Does he think if he's in Detroit he can make them one? Moreso than NJ or other suitors? Markstrom will have a say where he goes.

But what isn't rumor is that Markstrom is well aware he's on the trade block and is talking like a guy with one foot already out the door.

Asked where he saw himself playing next season, the Flames netminder offered up a simple, “I don’t know.”
Coupled with Craig Conroy’s suggestion, “time will tell,” it’s not much of a stretch to conclude the final two years of Markstrom’s contract will be played elsewhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Potential free agent acquisitions and trade proposals are not my cup of tea, so I have no idea. But I've seen a lot of comments from posters about acquiring guys like Markstrom, Gibson, or Ullmark. I don't know what the odds are of getting any of those guys, but regardless, there have been people essentially saying we shouldn't even pursue them, because organizationally our situation in net is fine. And I found that odd. It's very much not fine imo. And I'm a guy who likes Lyon and believes in Cossa.
Goalie is such a scarce commodity that I don’t see how anyone who has a good one is going to let them go.

The free agency options are pretty meh. Maybe DeSmith could be an option?

I just don’t see how we are going to be able to get a tangible upgrade realistically. Probably another version of Husso/Reimer/Lyon, realistically.

We definitely need an upgrade in net I just don’t see how you pull it off.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've got Markstrom circled as the perfect candidate. Two years left on his contract. He was a bright spot for that Calgary team and kept them in a lot of games they didn't deserve to be in, so his stats don't look amazing, but he played well on the whole.

Calgary was in trade talks with NJ and LA about Markstrom at the deadline, but Markstrom has a NMC that complicated things. According to rumors, so grain of salt, Markstrom shut down a trade to LA because he didn't want to live on the West Coast. Is Detroit suitable for him? He wants to be on a playoff team, by all indications. Does he think if he's in Detroit he can make them one? Moreso than NJ or other suitors? Markstrom will have a say where he goes.

But what isn't rumor is that Markstrom is well aware he's on the trade block and is talking like a guy with one foot already out the door.

Asked where he saw himself playing next season, the Flames netminder offered up a simple, “I don’t know.”
Coupled with Craig Conroy’s suggestion, “time will tell,” it’s not much of a stretch to conclude the final two years of Markstrom’s contract will be played elsewhere.
I’d give him a shot if we could get him for cheap. But I feel like his game is inching towards falling off a cliff, and he did not look great eye test wise last time we played Calgary (IIRC). Save % over the last 2 years is pretty on par with the guys we are trying to improve on.

Again, I’d give it a shot. I just could see it being another pretty lateral move.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't understand the push-back on the idea of acquiring a good starting goalie. In fact, I think it's wildly irresponsible to plan to just sit with what we have. You should probably be boarded for even implying as much :hit:

Even if Sebastian Cossa is ready to be a reliable starting goaltender for the Red Wings in 2025-26 (which I don't believe), there's still a big gap in the timeline/depth for this organization. Plus, this isn't the 90s or 00s, very few teams have a starter getting 65 games anymore. You need two goalies. And considering Cossa is not even a sure thing, whoa, this team could be in deep trouble real quick with what we currently have.

Go get a starting goalie, Stevie. Let Reimer walk, dump Husso, and go with new guy as 1A and Lyon as 1B. Lyon is your bridge to Cossa. A starter we acquire is "the guy" for a while. And that bridges the organization to the point where Cossa might be able to be good in 55 games a season at the NHL level. And if Augustine is ready by the point our "new" goalie is on his way out, he moves into 1B role; otherwise, go get another goalie at that time.

24/2525/2626/2727/2828/29
1ANew guyNew guyNew guyNew guy/CossaCossa
1BLyonLyon/CossaCossaCossa/New guyAugustine

I’m for getting an upgrade at starter. I don’t think it’ll cost 15th overall though. Goalies are often traded for 2nd round or later.

We got Husso for a 3rd. I think we also got Ned for the same.

Reactions: jaster

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
yeah I don't even want to trade the pick but that would just be a smart move

Easy yes from me as well but is there any smoke at all to Theodore being on the trade block? He's got another year left on his extremely reasonable deal and Vegas is certainly in win now mode. I'd think they'd find more value keeping him for another Cup run than selling him for a pick at this point.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I’m for getting an upgrade at starter. I don’t think it’ll cost 15th overall though. Goalies are often traded for 2nd round or later.

We got Husso for a 3rd. I think we also got Ned for the same.

Markstrom would be more expensive than that but probably not 15th overall expensive. Maybe 2nd and a prospect Calgary likes. Something along the lines of two seconds if there's salary retention.

You dreamers out there can fantasize about sending back a bad contract, too, if the sweetener is sweet enough.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I’d give him a shot if we could get him for cheap. But I feel like his game is inching towards falling off a cliff, and he did not look great eye test wise last time we played Calgary (IIRC). Save % over the last 2 years is pretty on par with the guys we are trying to improve on.

Again, I’d give it a shot. I just could see it being another pretty lateral move.

If you want a surefire upgrade you're going to have to cough up the 1st round pick, at least, to pry away a steady #1 goalie. Surefire #1 goalies only move when they become too expensive, too old, or they force a change of scenery. Otherwise GMs hang onto them like a dragon sitting on his gold pile.

There's not enough #1 stud goalies in the NHL for every team to have one. Unless you get lucky with a reclamation project, you gotta pay to play.

Markstrom is entering his later years and has a NMC. That depresses his value to a reasonable level for a guy that, by most indications, should be able to handle 2 years of starter level play. I'm not saying he's the only guy to look at, or it will happen, but he's exactly the type of player the Wings should be circling due to contract, timeline, and cost to acquire.

It's good to give Cossa competition on his arrival and a safety net if there's some young goalie learning to do. Regardless of who is it, I maintain I'll be stunned of Yzerman doesn't acquire someone in net this off-season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Man, if people are already upset about Kasper and Danielson being middle six players, they would lose their minds over trading our first for another one.

Krouse is a tough 2nd line power winger. He'd put up 30ish goals, 50ish points in Detroit. And would solve 3 problems this team has; second line scoring, size and toughness.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Easy yes from me as well but is there any smoke at all to Theodore being on the trade block? He's got another year left on his extremely reasonable deal and Vegas is certainly in win now mode. I'd think they'd find more value keeping him for another Cup run than selling him for a pick at this point.

yeah i'd be surprised too but you never know I guess, they did just bring in Hanifin and Hertl long term and somethings gonna shake loose from there eventually with the cap

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Allegedly Montreal is gearing up to take Iginla at #6. They've interviewed him a zillion times

Damn. I feel like we should trade up for this guy. I feel like he will be a perennial 30 goal scorer in the NHL..

Calgary picks 9th, and I don't see #8 Seattle wanting to trade down, they have a lot of holes to fill.
You think Seattle would take Berggren and #15 for #8?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In order to trade the 15th overall pick for a young player with term, a team would have to be stupid enough to trade a young player with term for the 15th overall pick
To be fair, I don't know that anybody has claimed that 15 overall (by itself) is landing a young NHL phenom.

I was thinking something like a 2024 1st, a 2025 1st, Berggren, and Wallinder in exchange for either a Thomas type forward or a Werenski type defenseman. Now maybe that's still not enough to even start the negotiation, but I'm certainly not thinking that one pick will move the needle.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Cossa is one more season away . Goalie is the last position I'd look at . Rather look for a physical power forward top 6 type if it's even possible
This is my wishlist as well. I’m assuming Kane is gone (mixed feelings about that) but Berggren is up. I think we need someone who can play a tough offensive game upfront. The real question is who is that player and what is the price. And I don’t have an answer to either of those questions. I won’t sweat it if we dump the first rounder though.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand the push-back on the idea of acquiring a good starting goalie. In fact, I think it's wildly irresponsible to plan to just sit with what we have. You should probably be boarded for even implying as much :hit:

Even if Sebastian Cossa is ready to be a reliable starting goaltender for the Red Wings in 2025-26 (which I don't believe), there's still a big gap in the timeline/depth for this organization. Plus, this isn't the 90s or 00s, very few teams have a starter getting 65 games anymore. You need two goalies. And considering Cossa is not even a sure thing, whoa, this team could be in deep trouble real quick with what we currently have.

Go get a starting goalie, Stevie. Let Reimer walk, dump Husso, and go with new guy as 1A and Lyon as 1B. Lyon is your bridge to Cossa. A starter we acquire is "the guy" for a while. And that bridges the organization to the point where Cossa might be able to be good in 55 games a season at the NHL level. And if Augustine is ready by the point our "new" goalie is on his way out, he moves into 1B role; otherwise, go get another goalie at that time.

24/2525/2626/2727/2828/29
1ANew guyNew guyNew guyNew guy/CossaCossa
1BLyonLyon/CossaCossaCossa/New guyAugustine
What is good for Carolina is not so good for Detroit. You have to improve team around goaltender

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think it depends on where we pick. If we are 15th, I think I would move back for a 20 something and a 33-36 second rounder. But that is if are main target is off the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad