• Stand pat

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • Trade the pick for a younger player with term

Votes: 28 33.3%

• Total voters

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Moving up depends on who they like and who is still there at a pick they can feasibly move up to.

I would absolutely want them to package the pick with other assets for a very good player, but that depends on who may be available, which isn't public.

Kinda hard to have a tangible discussion with so many variables.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Moving up depends on who they like and who is still there at a pick they can feasibly move up to.

I would absolutely want them to package the pick with other assets for a very good player, but that depends on who may be available, which isn't public.

Kinda hard to have a tangible discussion with so many variables.

Yeah right now I could see any of the 3 scenarios being my preferred one. In an ideal world I agree that packaging the pick for a long term upgrade makes the most sense. But it's not exactly that easy!

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
I think we’ll trade it for Shea Theodore or a goalie (Gibson/Ullmark/Markström).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't really want to see us trading up in the draft. I think the cost to make such a move won't be in line with the value of the guy we'd be picking. As for the other two options, I'm fine dealing him if the right deal came along (impact player in his mid20s) and I'm fine standing pat and just drafting our guy, whoever that is.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
If all goes well, in my opinion Cossa needs at least 2-3 seasons of development before he is a starter in the NHL. We need a proven goalie for that period.
None of these players is worth a 1st, let alone 15th overall. Off-season trade value is vastly different to trade deadline value.
Cossa is the starter the season after this one and absolutely he'll play a Lyon type role in 24-25. He's not as far away as you think.

And none of those goalies hold first round (15th OA) value, TDL or now or ever. Cory Schneider as an early 20s superstud prospect got 9OA (Bo Horvat). Gibson in his 30s, Ullmark in his 30s, and Markstrom in his 30s clearly do not.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think the highest and best use is to move it for a proven player, but that is not something we unilaterally control. In that perfect world I would like a defensemen better than Walman or a true top-six winger. The pick alone is obviously not going to return much.

Trading up (especially into the top 10) is very unlikely to happen if you look at draft-day history. It is hard to discuss in a vacuum without knowing who is on the board at any given time. Giving up assets to move up two or three spots, however, is probably not worth it in the end. Trading down is actually more likely.

Making the pick is what I expect to happen. I don't necessarily think that prospect will break into the NHL (if at all) with the Wings.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to get top 6 forward mid to late twenties. So far we have decent first line + Compher , rest of our forwards are bottom 6

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't understand the push-back on the idea of acquiring a good starting goalie. In fact, I think it's wildly irresponsible to plan to just sit with what we have. You should probably be boarded for even implying as much :hit:

Even if Sebastian Cossa is ready to be a reliable starting goaltender for the Red Wings in 2025-26 (which I don't believe), there's still a big gap in the timeline/depth for this organization. Plus, this isn't the 90s or 00s, very few teams have a starter getting 65 games anymore. You need two goalies. And considering Cossa is not even a sure thing, whoa, this team could be in deep trouble real quick with what we currently have.

Go get a starting goalie, Stevie. Let Reimer walk, dump Husso, and go with new guy as 1A and Lyon as 1B. Lyon is your bridge to Cossa. A starter we acquire is "the guy" for a while. And that bridges the organization to the point where Cossa might be able to be good in 55 games a season at the NHL level. And if Augustine is ready by the point our "new" goalie is on his way out, he moves into 1B role; otherwise, go get another goalie at that time.

24/2525/2626/2727/2828/29
1ANew guyNew guyNew guyNew guy/CossaCossa
1BLyonLyon/CossaCossaCossa/New guyAugustine

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't understand the push-back on the idea of acquiring a good starting goalie. In fact, I think it's wildly irresponsible to plan to just sit with what we have. You should probably be boarded for even implying as much :hit:

Even if Sebastian Cossa is ready to be a reliable starting goaltender for the Red Wings in 2025-26 (which I don't believe), there's still a big gap in the timeline/depth for this organization. Plus, this isn't the 90s or 00s, very few teams have a starter getting 65 games anymore. You need two goalies. And considering Cossa is not even a sure thing, whoa, this team could be in deep trouble real quick with what we currently have.

Go get a starting goalie, Stevie. Let Reimer walk, dump Husso, and go with new guy as 1A and Lyon as 1B. Lyon is your bridge to Cossa. A starter we acquire is "the guy" for a while. And that bridges the organization to the point where Cossa might be able to be good in 55 games a season at the NHL level. And if Augustine is ready by the point our "new" goalie is on his way out, he moves into 1B role; otherwise, go get another goalie at that time.

On top of all of this, getting a better goalie is the cheapest way to improve the team. You'll get way more return on investment grabbing someone like Markstrom than you would a forward of equal trade value. So if you're trying to "money puck" into the playoffs, that's probably your best bet.

I think Cossa is looking mighty good but he's still an unknown in the NHL and a veteran anchor would be pretty nice for a handful of seasons.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Where do you get a legitimate upgrade in net from????

Hage.

Stevie will pick whichever prospect he's got his eyes set on, that's what happens every year.
Sign me the hell up. (I also could see them liking Bosivert)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad