What do we do when Rielly comes back? (Assuming everyone stays healthy)

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
There seems to be a lot of discussion about this in various threads but no dedicated thread for this yet.

Which dman do we sit when Rielly comes back? Sure you could give Gio some rest and keep his legs fresh for the postseason but that’s not a long term solution. I don’t see either Sandin or Lily sitting; they’ve really stepped up since Rielly and Brodie were injured and are a legitimate pairing that can eat big minutes. Do you rotate Holl and Timmins even though they’ve also been really solid for us?

I think we can all recognize this as a good problem to have but a problem nonetheless. Thoughts?

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Benn has earned ice time too when he's healthy. 8 Guys for 6 spots. Benn and Timmins will do most of the sitting I think. But Holl should as well, and I could see giving Gio a day off here and there

Reactions: banks

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
It's so crazy how there was certain posters here that were certain the Leafs would struggle without him.

They haven't lost a game in regulation since he got hurt. Lol.
What’s crazy is some thinking we were losing because of him…

How you don’t think this D is better with him than without is beyond me. We also were winning without Brodie and Muzzin.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
It's so crazy how there was certain posters here that were certain the Leafs would struggle without him.

They haven't lost a game in regulation since he got hurt. Lol.
Tbf I don’t think anyone could have envisioned all our dmen stepping up like this or us having two goalies putting up stat lines that could win each of them a vezina. It was fair to believe that this team would struggle after losing not only our best dman but our top 3. Nice to see them smashing expectations though no doubt

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Holl
Sandin - Lily

Timmins, Mete, Benn

Start rotating guys in and manage the load of the older guys, especially Giordano. Younger guys can stay in.

Would also like to try switching up pairs, just in case somebody goes down in the playoffs.

Rielly - Lily
Brodie - Holl
Sandin - Timmins

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
First, I tell Reilly to take all the time he needs and then some additional time on top of that. The team is playing the best hockey they have played so why disrupt the groove they are in?

Sexond, I get the impression he is a solid, unselfish teammate who doesn't need the spotlight nor who will put himself over team. He has a contract that has him taken care of, he has nothing to prove (in the regular season).

When he is fully ready, I imagine they rotate players in to key guys fresh from time to time. Keefe will do it based on experimenting with different looks and maybe even in consuiltation with Dubas when they bounce ideas.off one another about team needs, direction, player assessment etc.

A D Man could be moved depending on the market. Their depth on D and potential cap space may finally give Dubas some real currency at this years deadine. He could move anyone if he receives a serious offer...

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Malgin has been fine, but that wasn't the question. For me it would need to be a player who is somewhat physical, who produces points.

Someone like Wheeler, but a younger Wheeler.

Who is that player?
We’re obviously better without him and it’s not even a small sample size. Unbeaten in what 15 games? He’s the last of the old guard when we had Lupul, Kadri, Kessel, Bozak, etc. I always said we’re not winning anything with Reilly as our #1 Dman and this winning streak with him out of the line up proves it. He logs to many minutes, D is an after thought to him and he sets the tone as the leader to the rest of our D core. It’s no wonder our Defensive play has looked the best they have in years without him. Anyway to answer your question a player that may fit the description is Horvat? Not sure if it’s doable but that JT,Marner and Horvat would be rediculous.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
To start off, I'd sit any remaining blueliner that isn't named Rielly, Brodie, Giordano, Holl, Sandin or Liljegren (*or Muzzin). Have to hope (almost) everyone is healthy by then, and also essentially that the decision hasn't been rendered easy or obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad