What do the Senators Need More?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It doesn't seem like we're having too much trouble scoring so I guess a top 4 defenseman.

Really though - the team just needs to adjust to the new lines, get used to the system again and start playing better as a group.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes we made the playoffs last 2 seasons and even did well in those, but remember people : this is year 3 of the rebuild. We are not super contenders right now, just playoff contenders. Let's keep that in mind to have a bit of sense of reality in those threads

We never had the luxury of drafting super high like the Hawks, Pens or Oilers (even though they still suck) so it takes a bit of time.

Knee-jerk reaction if you're basing this off of one game, but I'll play along under the guise of this being a hypothetical scenario...

Teams can always use more depth at D, so I'll go with the top-4 D.

Well, same. Of course if we could add a quality 2nd pair D-man, we could maybe become a contender (if others are healthy and play relatively well). For example :

Methot-Karlsson
Tyutin-Wiercioch
Cowen-Phillips
Corvo

Solid defense.

Our problems right now are penalties, face-offs and shots allowed.

Imo 18-20 year old defensemen that will develop into 2-3-4 guys. not based off last game though i just think thats what we'll need in the long run.

You mean like Cowen, Wiercioch, Ceci and maybe Wikstrand

Wish we could have those guys :sarcasm:

Another puck possession type defenseman in the mold of Players like: Nick Leddy, Vlasic, Rundblad and OEL.

I think we miss Gonchar out there. He really controlled the tempo back there and knew when to add pressure and when to peel back and take his time with it.

But Gonchar was slow, soft, uninterested, couldn't shoot the puck, couldn't defend, overpaid and over the hill... Basically, he sucks. Oh well, that's what I have "learned" reading this board from the time Gonchar was here.

One way or the other, people are bound to whine.

Last edited:

Vipers99

Sep 12, 2009
Ottawa
Fewer penalties... We have lost all 3 games by a single goal, but we are giving up way too many powerplays.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
I remember some were so sure of gonchar being awarded another contract here. Fact is the guy wasn't that great excluding some stretches last season where our goalie depth carried the team. And he didn't improve in the playoffs either, his time was up here.

He is like phillips, good in limited minutes.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Neither. Stop the panic already, only played 4 games, and haven't played a home game yet!

They have enough good players, they just need to play better, if after 20 games or so still like this, then we can start trading players, or firing couches, or firing GMs, or changing owners.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Without great goalies Ottawa would be a fringe playoff team. The team needs to have some of their youth to grow up and take another step. Karlsson needs half a season to rehab this year and Spezza need to step up. I really like to watch the team but they arent (imho) even close to be a contender. Maybe in 2+ years if some of the talented young core develop in a successful manner. One have to remember, there is no budget for purchasing top 6 players.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I am not panicking, right now were a good team. But to be a contender we need a top defense. #2 defense to be exact.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Good 4th line winger
Bottom pairing dman
The ability to win face offs

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Pageau-Condra
XXX-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Weircioch
Phillips-YYY

WhiteLight*

I remember some were so sure of gonchar being awarded another contract here. Fact is the guy wasn't that great excluding some stretches last season where our goalie depth carried the team. And he didn't improve in the playoffs either, his time was up here.

He is like phillips, good in limited minutes.

wut. Gonchar was the #1 d-man. Nobody on the Senators played more minutes than Gonchar. He played in all situations and was awesome.

Not a fan of giving Gonchar 2 years because of his age, but ''good in limited minutes'' is just plain wrong.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
wut. Gonchar was the #1 d-man. Nobody on the Senators played more minutes than Gonchar. He played in all situations and was awesome.

Not a fan of giving Gonchar 2 years because of his age, but ''good in limited minutes'' is just plain wrong.

Methot was our best dman last year in both the reg and playoffs. Gonchar play fell off near the end and playoffs.

Cherith Cutestory

Jan 20, 2008
Edmonton/Ottawa
Level headed fans.

Ha! This gave me a good laugh.

This team lost a leader up front who was our captain, as well as a veteran top-3 defenseman. Give it some time to work out all the kinks. 12-15 games and then we can re-visit.

If this was the 15 game mark I'd say we need a top-4 defenseman. Average of 43 shots through the first 5 games has got to be a killer for any goalie.

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

Yes. Staal would be excellent.

Staal - Karlsson
Cowen - Methot
Phillips - Wiercioch

:yo:

I agree but the cost for Staal would be high.

Zibanejad + Ceci

We don't have a 1st to use, so we would have to use two good young players.

League wide teams would be offering a bluechip prospect + 1st

We have to match that

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree but the cost for Staal would be high.

Zibanejad + Ceci

We don't have a 1st to use, so we would have to use two good young players.

League wide teams would be offering a bluechip prospect + 1st

We have to match that

And why would the Rangers give up one of their best young defencemen, would you? I think if the skid continues during the home stretch then BM could make a move or two but my guess would be that he would bring up a player or two from Bingo. I think he waits until the 20 game mark before he considers any trades & will want to see what he has down in Bingo or whether Zibanejad, Stone & Hoffman are ready yet. Let's keep in mind that this is an 82 game season this yr, not 48 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad