Player Discussion What do the players need to do

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Currently 11-15 with a -1 goal differential. What record does this team need the rest of the year to show it was the coach and not the players ?

Minimum for me is playing .600 hockey the rest of the way.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Sad reality is its not just on DJ, he's just became the biggest scapegoat, they weren't winning with him regardless and that was the next play, so its good to see action on that front.
Players need to figure it out fast and pull up their big boy pants, Stu needs to play less.
The goaltending is garbage and needs to be figured out before this team does anything positive.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
DJ takes the fall, but this poor first quarter is squarely on the players.

They need to buy in. Find a way to play like pros and establish an identity. And when they do, they have to string together probably 2 10 game segments where they are taking 15-18 points out of 20. Tall task.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The players need to learn how to play as a team, whether creating offence and stopping a rush, and their designated roles/positioning on ice. Learn to play successful 2-way hockey that starts with being accountable for your checks. Tkachuk may have had some success on the breakaway on the counter by waiting at the blue line, but it has also resulted in scoring opportunities/goals the other way. Stutzle keeps making the same mistakes every game when he holds on to the puck too long, some of it related to players poor positioning on ice to receive a pass.

These are fixable mistakes. Despite knowing what ails them, they were consistent at making the same mistakes over and over, which goes back into the question of accountability.

The players need to hold themselves/each other accountable at all times. That's how great teams are built.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Currently 11-15 with a -1 goal differential. What record does this team need the rest of the year to show it was the coach and not the players ?

I dont think thats going to happen. The learning curve is going to be very steep. They are going to have to learn so much from a systems and accountability standpoint. They have alot of bad habits that arent going to be broken over night. Personally I am going to base my evaluations on the process less than the result and if we start seeing improvments.

Last year when Tocchet took over they had a bump then a regression. He was asked about it and he simply said they have a long long way to go before they start playing the right way. I think its going to be a similar situation here.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I dont think thats going to happen. The learning curve is going to be very steep. They are going to have to learn so much from a systems and accountability standpoint. They have alot of bad habits that arent going to be broken over night. Personally I am going to base my evaluations on the process less than the result and if we start seeing improvments.

Last year when Tocchet took over they had a bump then a regression. He was asked about it and he simply said they have a long long way to go before they start playing the right way. I think its going to be a similar situation here.

After Tocchet took over last year, the Canucks went 22-12-8 (0.619 pts%). They didn't really have the traditional "bump" either. Went 3-3-2 in the first 8 and then picked up steam.

Prior to Tocchet, they were 18-18-4 (.500 pts%).

So they got a pretty significant bump, and they also traded away their captain and leading scorer amidst the coaching change.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
After Tocchet took over last year, the Canucks went 22-12-8 (0.619 pts%). They didn't really have the traditional "bump" either. Went 3-3-2 in the first 8 and then picked up steam.

Prior to Tocchet, they were 18-18-4 (.500 pts%).

So they got a pretty significant bump, and they also traded away their captain and leading scorer amidst the coaching change.
They are playing much better hockey this year in general the Canucks. As you did reference my post, I spoke about the process less than the results. Tocchet had that quote a few weeks into his tenure.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The players are boys playing a man's game. They need to become men out there and start playing the right way.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It’s not really about the W-L column

We are finally purging the remains of the self-damaging Dorion era

So if they stop playing against themselves, that would be a good start

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
When the games start becoming boring, low scoring, 2-1, 3-2 and 1-0. I'll know they are listening to every word and command of Martin. I doubt it will happen right away but hopefully over the next month, we see the goals against drop dramatically.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When the games start becoming boring, low scoring, 2-1, 3-2 and 1-0. I'll know they are listening to every word and command of Martin. I doubt it will happen right away but hopefully over the next month, we see the goals against drop dramatically.
We all remember those games, and playoff series between the Martin coached Senators and the Lemaire coached Devils…. 2 - 0 was a very common score

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Stop blowing the zone before the D has recovered the puck (also fix the breakout). The extra offence generated by quick transitions means jack shit when you leave the opposing team with numbers in your zone because your forwards have already left the D zone. Also, I’ve been saying it for over a month but they need to clean up their 2nd periods. The entire team seems to have a super lackadaisical approach to the 2nd period.

Reactions: Crosside

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

.600 is quite good. Maybe like .550 with waaaayyy less chaotic play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad