Speculation: What do the Oilers do at the deadline? (Poll Included)

What does Holland do at the deadline?

• No moves

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Minor tinkering only (adding a 7th defenseman, moving out extra forwards like Archibald)

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • -----------------

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adds a goalie (pick one from below)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Marc-Andre Fleury

• Semyon Varlamov

• Braden Holtby

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • James Reimer

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Joonas Korpisalo

• Other

• -----------------

• Adds a defenseman (pick one from below)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Carson Soucy

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Brett Kulak

• Justin Braun

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Ben Chiarot

• Josh Manson

• Jakob Chychrun

• Hampus Lindholm

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • -----------------

• Adds a bottom 6 forward

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Adds a top 6 forward

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'm the only person who voted for 'add a top 6 forward'? Why?

One more could fix our depth issues if we're healthy. Fix them completely. We have a ton of 'decent' defencemen ... Braun or Soucy or whatever don't move the needle anywhere near as much as a Kessel type guy would, and they'll cost the same.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm the only person who voted for 'add a top 6 forward'? Why?

One more could fix our depth issues if we're healthy. Fix them completely. We have a ton of 'decent' defencemen ... Braun or Soucy or whatever don't move the needle anywhere near as much as a Kessel type guy would, and they'll cost the same.
It just feels like Kane was that addition. Plus we have Nuge and JP coming back before the playoffs

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It makes sense to put Archibald in the metro. The most American division
I'm not totally convinced that we have to trade him to a playoff team.

He really is more about getting a chance to build his stock for free agency. There could be a team that unloads a few players and needs some depth for the remainder of the year.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It just feels like Kane was that addition. Plus we have Nuge and JP coming back before the playoffs
Even with RNH and JP back, we are one solid scorer away from having a three line deep threat team. It would make a world of difference. The difference between Kessel/Rakell type over Derek Ryan on the third line is ridiculous. They can also play higher and bring Yamo/JP down. Our RW depth is weak no matter how you look at it. Them over Benson/Shore types is dramatic. A much bigger impact than a 'steady' 10 point a year defenceman playing over Broberg/Niemo.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even with RNH and JP back, we are one solid scorer away from having a three line deep threat team. It would make a world of difference. The difference between Kessel/Rakell type over Derek Ryan on the third line is ridiculous. They can also play higher and bring Yamo/JP down. Our RW depth is weak no matter how you look at it. Them over Benson/Shore types is dramatic. A much bigger impact than a 'steady' 10 point a year defenceman playing over Broberg/Niemo.
I'm not against it. Its always nice to have Nuge and Hyman on the third line. That might have been my favorite stretch of hockey for the Oilers, as short as it was.

I'm all for this to be like the 2006 deadline where the team wasnt assured a playoff spot but went all out in every position

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I honestly would love if we did something like.... Archibald, 1st for Hagel, he is young, 2 years left after this at 1.5 mill and like...20 goals this year. Then next year when Kane walks, Hagel signs up and then Holloway jump in the middle 6
Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hagel - Draisaitl - Hyman
McLeod - RNH - Yamamoto
Foegele - Ryan -Kassian

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't really understand the RD thing. Like I get why we want someone better there, but neither Bouchard or Barrie is coming out of the lineup any time soon. Makes way more sense to me to upgrade at LD, knocking Broberg/Lagesson out of the lineup, and if you get a good one, maybe taking some minutes away from Keith.

I really like Broberg, I think he looks super smooth out there, so I'm not sure that's even a spot they have to add in. I'm actually pretty happy with the roster once they get healthy, Koskinen is a huge question mark. So I'm really hoping they win the next three convincingly with good goaltending, call up Holloway, and if they make a trade I hope it's for a significant player with term (Chychryn), not just a rental.

I actually really don't mind the team Holland has built, outside of goaltending. I think after adding Nuge and Puljujarvi, there aren't too many glaring holes here.
Generally agree with you, but if we can bump a rookie out by shoring up the left side im all for it. I like Broberg too but I'd rather see someone a little more battle hardened and proven.

A solid stay at home guy for the 2nd or 3rd pair would be awesome, as too many of our guys are of the offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad