Speculation: What do the Oilers do at the deadline? (Poll Included)

What does Holland do at the deadline?

• No moves

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Minor tinkering only (adding a 7th defenseman, moving out extra forwards like Archibald)

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • -----------------

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adds a goalie (pick one from below)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Marc-Andre Fleury

• Semyon Varlamov

• Braden Holtby

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • James Reimer

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Joonas Korpisalo

• Other

• -----------------

• Adds a defenseman (pick one from below)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Carson Soucy

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Brett Kulak

• Justin Braun

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Ben Chiarot

• Josh Manson

• Jakob Chychrun

• Hampus Lindholm

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • -----------------

• Adds a bottom 6 forward

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Adds a top 6 forward

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Personally, I don't see Holland doing much, if anything at all. Maybe a depth defenseman or sending out some bodies but that's about it. What about the rest of you?

It'll be interesting to compare the results with what actually ends up happening next week.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'll say they dump Archibald in the deal for Braun (money works), I think they'll trade Smith ++ for Craig Anderson to have him as a veteran depth. I also think they'll find a way to add a top-9-ish forward.

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
We need to shore up the RD spot with an actual defensive player. But I doubt anything happens....

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't really understand the RD thing. Like I get why we want someone better there, but neither Bouchard or Barrie is coming out of the lineup any time soon. Makes way more sense to me to upgrade at LD, knocking Broberg/Lagesson out of the lineup, and if you get a good one, maybe taking some minutes away from Keith.

I really like Broberg, I think he looks super smooth out there, so I'm not sure that's even a spot they have to add in. I'm actually pretty happy with the roster once they get healthy, Koskinen is a huge question mark. So I'm really hoping they win the next three convincingly with good goaltending, call up Holloway, and if they make a trade I hope it's for a significant player with term (Chychryn), not just a rental.

I actually really don't mind the team Holland has built, outside of goaltending. I think after adding Nuge and Puljujarvi, there aren't too many glaring holes here.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I would like to rent a goalie. I think we could have another 06 type run if we get the right goalie.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think its going to be minor tinkering.

I dont think its going to be much because we dont have much cap space to do anything.

Getting another goaltender makes sense but honestly, I cant really see Holland doing it anymore. I think his ultimate goal has always been to move Koskinen and keep Smith. I think he values (or overvalues) Smiths leadership in the room. I think he likes his greybears so to speak. The fact that Smith is still on the roster and they are not giving Skinner an opportunity, hes basically doubled down on Smith.

Now that Koskinen is playing well while Smith is playing so poorly, he probably cant really do much. If he was to trade Koskinen now, when Smith looks like an auto loss, it would be pretty foolish. Cant bet on Smith to take this team to playoffs (obviously), with the way he is playing.

I think the proper move is to either trade Smith or tell him to go home and rest (I'm convinced hes injured) and either play new goaltender/Koskinen or Koskinen/Skinner. I think hes too loyal to Smith at this point. Like I said, he likes his veteran and leadership presence.

I think the other move that hes likely to make is to bring in a 3LD. Which would be fine, but honestly if thats the only move hes making, it just feels pointless to me. Might as well just play Lagesson/Broberg.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think its going to be minor tinkering.

I dont think its going to be much because we dont have much cap space to do anything.

Getting another goaltender makes sense but honestly, I cant really see Holland doing it anymore. I think his ultimate goal has always been to move Koskinen and keep Smith. I think he values (or overvalues) Smiths leadership in the room. I think he likes his greybears so to speak. The fact that Smith is still on the roster and they are not giving Skinner an opportunity, hes basically doubled down on Smith.

Now that Koskinen is playing well, he probably cant really do much. If he was to trade Koskinen now, when Smith looks like an auto loss, it would be pretty foolish.

I think the proper move is to either trade Smith or tell him to go home and rest (I'm convinced hes injured) and either play new goaltender/Koskinen or Koskinen/Skinner. I think hes too loyal to Smith at this point. Like I said, he likes his veteran and leadership presence.

I think the other move that hes likely to make is to bring in a 3LD. Which would be fine, but honestly if thats the only move hes making, it just feels pointless to me. Might as well just play Lagesson/Broberg.

I agree with this, and with the way Broberg is playing (at least in my opinion), bringing in a vet bottom pairing d man might do more harm than good. I think if they win out up to the deadline, there will be some pressure to add something, but I don't think it'll be a goalie and I don't really see a fit on D unless it's someone that has some term and will play on the top two pairings. I could actually see him adding a forward, just because he'll have assets to spend and he'll want to bring in something for the team, but I really am not too unhappy with the roster, it's pretty damn full when healthy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There isn't a lot that he can do, unless he makes trades for a body in and a body out. The only one I can see for that is Archibald.They have next to nothing for cap room due to some of his dumb moves, and their fringe guys are pretty much worthless. What you see now, is pretty much it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have 500k in cap space, we don't even have enough money to bring up a guy like Holloway. Honestly I could see us selling a guy like Archibald and thats pretty much it.

Reactions: Jumptheshark

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My bad I didn't even see it!

Yeah but you used to be able to see who voted for what - guess that option is gone now?

If you click on the part that shows the number of votes it'll show you who voted for which option:

1647376981324.png

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Hmm maybe it's because that was created before the migration?

Could be, but when you're creating a poll you have the option to make votes anonymous, so I'm assuming whoever created that thread just enabled that option.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00