What do my people think?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well he's certainly the best player in the world this week. Remains to be seen whether he can be such for a longer term than that.

Must say though the Leafs seem to be making the right choices. They needed a strong mentor to push Matthews and keep him in check before the ego goes wild, so they go and get Tavares and make him assistant captain before pushing a decision between the two as to who'd be captain later on.

What did the Oilers do when they realized they needed a veteran to push Hall and keep him in check before the ego goes wild? They grabbed a fitness freak #4 d-man in Ference and made him captain.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well he's certainly the best player in the world this week. Remains to be seen whether he can be such for a longer term than that.

Must say though the Leafs seem to be making the right choices. They needed a strong mentor to push Matthews and keep him in check before the ego goes wild, so they go and get Tavares and make him assistant captain before pushing a decision between the two as to who'd be captain later on.

What did the Oilers do when they realized they needed a veteran to push Hall and keep him in check before the ego goes wild? They grabbed a fitness freak #4 d-man in Ference and made him captain.

Not like the Oilers ever had a choice of a free agent like Tavares or even half of Tavares. No Vet who's any good, is a free agent, and has options will ever choose Edmonton.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes he is.

He should get the max cap hit next season too.

Marner might be as good as McDavid as well, so give him $12.5.
I hate the Leafs. Always have. It goes back to the early seventies when there were only two actual Canadian teams and the Vancouver Canucks. My dad was a Habs fan so I learned too hate the Leafs. After the Oilers came into the league my love for the Canadiens waned but my hatred of the Leafs remained, mostly fueled by their annoying media and imbecilic fan base.

All that said, I’m hoping for a big year from them (not a Stanley Cup but maybe a conference final) with Mathews and Marner lighting it up on the scoreboard. I’d love to see them lose one of those two to an offer sheet because they can’t afford to pay both of them market value after that ridiculous signing of Tavares. After the way they treated Oiler fans after McDavid was drafted, they deserve something like that happening.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

This is a very astute assumption and one that I share. To me it was the beginning (or another beginning?!) of our latest downfall.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I can't beef about the Leafs seeing as they are looking like what the oilers should have been.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not like the Oilers ever had a choice of a free agent like Tavares or even half of Tavares. No Vet who's any good, is a free agent, and has options will ever choose Edmonton.

BS
They certainly could have done much better than Andrew Ferrance.

I've said this year's ago -
Taylor Hall / incredible talent / drafted #1 / Lowe gives him his old number / team is excited / here you are a $6M contract / a key to the city / Hall performs and carries team / team is obviously his as the leader / wait let's bring in Andrew Ferrance / wait let's have Dallas F ing Eakins decide that Ferrance should be the C before he even skates here / Hall continues to be incredible / an all star / wait he needs to go because of extenuating circumstances / let's trade our BEST player because we have another best player here now. Can't have two no no / I know lets trade him for a PRETTY GOOD D. Not top one but pretty good.

Sorry I'm tired of this sentiment that no one will cone here. If it's true then it's due to inner turmoil that the above is an example of.

On original topic, I look forward to the next 10 years as the 2 of them battle it out. I also feel very fortunate that we have one of if not the, best player in the world here to witness. AGAIN. Lemieux was always second to Gretz for me. I feel that way about Conner now but it's only been a couple years.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
NHL 19 results:

1st Period
Goal - Draisaitl. Assists - Benning, Lucic.
Goal - Vesey. Assists - Andersson, Hayes.

We lose in shootout.

It's a boring game.

Puljujarvi played 4:03.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
BS
They certainly could have done much better than Andrew Ferrance.

I've said this year's ago -
Taylor Hall / incredible talent / drafted #1 / Lowe gives him his old number / team is excited / here you are a $6M contract / a key to the city / Hall performs and carries team / team is obviously his as the leader / wait let's bring in Andrew Ferrance / wait let's have Dallas F ing Eakins decide that Ferrance should be the C before he even skates here / Hall continues to be incredible / an all star / wait he needs to go because of extenuating circumstances / let's trade our BEST player because we have another best player here now. Can't have two no no / I know lets trade him for a PRETTY GOOD D. Not top one but pretty good.

Sorry I'm tired of this sentiment that no one will cone here. If it's true then it's due to inner turmoil that the above is an example of.

On original topic, I look forward to the next 10 years as the 2 of them battle it out. I also feel very fortunate that we have one of if not the, best player in the world here to witness. AGAIN. Lemieux was always second to Gretz for me. I feel that way about Conner now but it's only been a couple years.

How is it BS? Name a free agent that was good that the Oilers had a chance to sign. We can't even attempt to trade for Karlsson because it's known there's zero chance he signs here, his sentiment is the same as most players. Let's be realistic here.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
How is it BS? Name a free agent that was good that the Oilers had a chance to sign. We can't even attempt to trade for Karlsson because it's known there's zero chance he signs here, his sentiment is the same as most players. Let's be realistic here.

I only said we could've done much better. Not knock it out of the park but better.

My point was more of what they did with Ferrance after obtaining him. Such a colossal miss.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
....or Columbus or Raleigh or Buffalo or Ottawa or....

And those teams are subpar teams with little spurts of success here and there. It's not like they are lighting the league up. Columbus gets Panarin as a nice little gift, and now they are having issues resigning him.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Matthews will be fat in about 3 years, give him 13.5 and watch the decline

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
And those teams are subpar teams with little spurts of success here and there. It's not like they are lighting the league up. Columbus gets Panarin as a nice little gift, and now they are having issues resigning him.

Yet out of those team's, Raleigh won a cup 12 years ago, Jackets have been a playoff team lately, and Ottawa has been in the final. It seems they've attracted enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad