What directors have you seen the most?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Was pondering this for myself and figured it would be a decent conversation for this group.

What director have you seen the most movies from? Not necessarily your favorite (though that certainly could overlap). Pure numbers. Whose work have you seen the most?

Bonus question: How many have you seen in the theaters?

I tallied up about 18 directors for myself off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of note. The top answer for both of those for me did not surprise and I suspect is going to be high on many lists due to his combination of broad appeal and overall production....

Steven Spielberg: I've seen 28 of his movies, 18 in theaters. Easily my highest marks in both of those.

2. Scorsese 19 total, 8 in theaters.
3. (tie) Eastwood 18 total, 14 in theaters.
(tie) Coens 18 total, 14 in theaters.
5. Carpenter 17 total, 6 in theaters.

David Fincher has my highest total-to-theater ratio. I bat 1000 with him, having seen all 10 of his features in the theater (yes, even Alien 3). Nolan, Tarantino and PTA are close. I've seen all their movies, but have never seen their first films in theaters.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'd have to sit down and count, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't Spielberg, even if I have a ton of his that I haven't gotten around to seeing. He's directed so many huge pop culture films over my lifetime that, as someone who grew up in the 80s, I would have to really go out of my way to not see at least 10 of his films. I think the number is probably close to 20 when looking at the list. It's hard to find many directors that have 20 commercial films to their name.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
According to Letterboxd:

upload_2019-8-16_11-0-43.png

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
probably françois truffaut, i went through a little phase over a period of a few months last year watching all 21 films he directed. as well as close encounters of the third kind, which he acted in

he also shows up as my most watched actor on my letterboxd just due to many roles he played in his own films

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Joel Coen and Ingmar Bergman, both 18. None in theaters from Bergman, 3 from Coen.

I've noticed that most of my favourite directors don't really have a big body of work - think Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Winding Refn, etc.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I've seen 41 films by Raoul Ruiz, IMO the greatest director of all time. I am confident I haven't seen anything close to that from any other directors.

Reactions: Fantomas

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My top five would be:

Satyajit Ray---all 29 of his films, almost all of them multiple times
Jean Luc Godard--at least 34 of his films
Alfred Hitchcock--at least 30 of his films
John Ford--at least 29 of his films
Francois Truffaut--23 of his films

Also in double figures: Bunuel, Antonioni, Bertolucci, Bergman, Scorsese, Huston, Allen. Altman, Spielberg, Wong, Hawks, Kurosawa, and Resnais

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The only lengthy-career filmmakers off the top of my head that I've binged through (at least somewhat) exaustively is Hayao Miyazaki, Wong Kar Wai, and Akira Kurosawa (well, everything between Drunken Angel and Ran anyways). Otherwise, I usually just pick and choose the ones that seem promising. Seen a lot of Ozu and Woody Allen, too.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's not my favorite (still really like him), but I'd be shocked if it wasn't Spielberg.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Off the top of my head the only two in doulble-digits would be Roman Polanski at 16, and Alfred Hitchcock at 13.

I need to check out more of Hitchcock's stuff. I 've loved almost everything I've seen from him, with the exception of Marnie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad