What Corsi really translates to (in numbers that are easy to grasp)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Current zone-adjusted corsi numbers do exactly what you are saying they should do here - and more.

Corsica.hockey is a good source here: http://www.corsica.hockey/blog/2016/06/19/adjustments-explained/

Thanks. I'm only mildly interested in this angle, but I was reading all the arguing between machinehead and others, and I couldn't believe someone hadn't done an adjustment.

Now, can you tell me...

Do Fenwick and Corsi still use shots-on-goal (while on ice, for individuals) as a proxy for "time-in-possession"? I have to believe that, somehow, we are nearing the place in player tracking where it's possible to actually do this with real time possession of the puck, rather than a proxy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks. I'm only mildly interested in this angle, but I was reading all the arguing between machinehead and others, and I couldn't believe someone hadn't done an adjustment.

Now, can you tell me...

Do Fenwick and Corsi still use shots-on-goal (while on ice, for individuals) as a proxy for "time-in-possession"? I have to believe that, somehow, we are nearing the place in player tracking where it's possible to actually do this with real time possession of the puck, rather than a proxy.

They do use it as a proxy, but not just for "possession"....probably better to describe it as "useful possession".

1. shot attempts track extremely closely to toi possession any time anyone has studied it
2. there is evidence that shot attempts (i.e useful possession) is more valuable than raw toi possession anyways.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Agreed that the failure to account for quality of competition and workload is the biggest current failing of advanced stats

But this doesn't render them useless.

You just have to acknowledge that the numbers work best when comparing players with similar roles and workloads - the easiest thing to look at here is pure minutes played, as it's harder and harder to sheltef someone the more they play.

So myself i always check workload before comparing players' possession numbers.

There is no good workload-adjusted corsi yet but for now you should always mentally asterisk somebody with great corsi numbers if they are not getting full frontline minutes.

just because a guy is putting up grewt numbers in a secondary or tertiary role doesn't mean he won't struggle in a primetime role. You might argue that the guy deserves a shot at getting more responsibility - but you can't conclude his better possesskon numbers make him a better possession player than someone with a significantly bigger role until he shows he can do it in that bigger role.

Good comment.

Basic problem is that how and what level a statistical apparatus (Corsi) that builds on the easily and relatively objectively countable, essentially quantitative stat - SOG - can be reduced back to the level of an individual player quality when it's and first hand scope to and primary application level to are constructed for measurements of team level relative (and to lesser extent in lineups level) possession performances relative to opponents.

Corsi loses near all relevancy as a measurement of player quality as the fundamental simple stat SOG where it's building from doesn't even itself take account such qualitative aspects related to the Shots on Goal. That kind qualitative data cannot be lost in Corsi stats as it not even brought to in as a premise.

A lone 4th line goon's half baked lucky (lucky in sense they are SOG) shots from neutral zone are equal with top-elite 1st line sniper's quality attempt preceded by excellent line combinatorics and great passes.

When trying to use Corsis in the context of an individual player quality, explanations, exceptions, circumstantial stuff relevant, and his team, lineup, style etc. contexts of the player takes that much written lines that among with the pure numerical statistical presentation for fully describing the player, that this itself should tell to a people the limits of Corsi stats applicability has exceeded.

Then... importantly, a player can easily start to try stat adjust his own Corsis by starting make numerous bad, low quality shots before trying make better plays and line combos for real, good quality scoring changes. No doubt an opponents' players can do that same.

Do statistical community think that such habit would increase likelihood of improved game play quality, higher proportion of good quality scoring changes, improved line up co-playing combinatorics for more high quality goal scoring changes, that more likely would result more goals, and via that - more wins?

Back to the start: SOGs. As a quantitative measurement it's good as it's clear and objective phenom of hockey yes, but if it's quantitative measure starts to be seen as an ultimate measure for a player's gameplaying quality we are lost pretty much from that what we've seen when we call something as 'Good hockey'?

SOG-Corsoistic stats-cultists will always feel uneasy when they watch hockey players whom performances on-ice doesn't comply with their Statistics off-ice.

All SOG-based "possession" is not "useful possession".

(There was some difficulties for me find good english words to say what I mean. Sorry.)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the limitation of corsi is that it uses shot attempts as a proxy for possession.

what if you don't want to shoot the puck because doing so may cause you to lose possession?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Good comment.

Basic problem is that how and what level a statistical apparatus (Corsi) that builds on the easily and relatively objectively countable, essentially quantitative stat - SOG - can be reduced back to the level of an individual player quality when it's and first hand scope to and primary application level to are constructed for measurements of team level relative (and to lesser extent in lineups level) possession performances relative to opponents.

Corsi loses near all relevancy as a measurement of player quality as the fundamental simple stat SOG where it's building from doesn't even itself take account such qualitative aspects related to the Shots on Goal. That kind qualitative data cannot be lost in Corsi stats as it not even brought to in as a premise.

A lone 4th line goon's half baked lucky (lucky in sense they are SOG) shots from neutral zone are equal with top-elite 1st line sniper's quality attempt preceded by excellent line combinatorics and great passes.

When trying to use Corsis in the context of an individual player quality, explanations, exceptions, circumstantial stuff relevant, and his team, lineup, style etc. contexts of the player takes that much written lines that among with the pure numerical statistical presentation for fully describing the player, that this itself should tell to a people the limits of Corsi stats applicability has exceeded.

Then... importantly, a player can easily start to try stat adjust his own Corsis by starting make numerous bad, low quality shots before trying make better plays and line combos for real, good quality scoring changes. No doubt an opponents' players can do that same.

Do statistical community think that such habit would increase likelihood of improved game play quality, higher proportion of good quality scoring changes, improved line up co-playing combinatorics for more high quality goal scoring changes, that more likely would result more goals, and via that - more wins?

Back to the start: SOGs. As a quantitative measurement it's good as it's clear and objective phenom of hockey yes, but if it's quantitative measure starts to be seen as an ultimate measure for a player's gameplaying quality we are lost pretty much from that what we've seen when we call something as 'Good hockey'?

SOG-Corsoistic stats-cultists will always feel uneasy when they watch hockey players whom performances on-ice doesn't comply with their Statistics off-ice.

All SOG-based "possession" is not "useful possession".

(There was some difficulties for me find good english words to say what I mean. Sorry.)

not quite with you on all of this.

1. The ability to get and prevent shot attempts is a skill, and while a goon's long shot may equate to a sniper's high danger chance in some metrics, the goon will have a tough time matching and preventing shots as well as good players do.
2. yes theoretically a player could cheat and just try to pad his corsi stats....but why would he do that? And if a coach designed his system simply to pad corsi stats and ignore shot quality, he wouldn't have a job for long.
3. we are starting to get some very good stats which adjust for shot quality - there are at least 2 very good Expected Goals metrics which do a thorough job accounting for shot and shooter quality. Corsica.hockey and DTM both have a good one.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
the limitation of corsi is that it uses shot attempts as a proxy for possession.

what if you don't want to shoot the puck because doing so may cause you to lose possession?

Corsi is a proxy for possession, but is ultimately more meaningful than that, since goals come from deflected shot attempts, rebounds off blocked shot attempts, pretty tic tac toe plays end-to-end rushes, giveaways behind the net, shot attempts bounces off of posts and stancions, rebounds off goalies, and just plain great shots. There is no telling how a goal will be scored on a given possession. But it can only be scored if there is a corsi (aside from own goals).

Measuring events that can result in a goal is more useful than measuring events that:

- cannot result in a goal for (any time not directing the puck towards the net)
- can ultimately result in higher likelyhood of an opponent goal (a 30 second shot attempt-free possession that results in a giveaway and rush scoring chance the other way is still a higher corsi for the rush scoring team, as they are the only team to get a corsi in those 32-33 seconds)

Is it perfect? No, it isn't, especially when you try to evaluate individuals in different roles with different teammates, or when you forget it is not a substitute for special teams. But no stat is perfect. At all. Imperfect doesn't mean ineffective. Especially when measured at team level, corsi and goaltending are together the two biggest determinants of 5v5 goal differential, which is ultimately the biggest predictor of playoff success where there are no shootouts or 3v3 and special teams stats get thrown out the window in head-to-head matchups.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
not quite with you on all of this.

1. The ability to get and prevent shot attempts is a skill, and while a goon's long shot may equate to a sniper's high danger chance in some metrics, the goon will have a tough time matching and preventing shots as well as good players do.
2. yes theoretically a player could cheat and just try to pad his corsi stats....but why would he do that? And if a coach designed his system simply to pad corsi stats and ignore shot quality, he wouldn't have a job for long.
3. we are starting to get some very good stats which adjust for shot quality - there are at least 2 very good Expected Goals metrics which do a thorough job accounting for shot and shooter quality. Corsica.hockey and DTM both have a good one.

First. I'm not "anti-statistician" per se. That have to be said, I do not take critical stance of opposition for opposing statistical approach either.

1. True. It's skill, and not the one that is most easiest one to be ennumerated. Goon's and Sniper's shots disappear to the big samples that handle them equally, not taking account circumstantial things. Are there someone to take possible rebounds, how masked goalie is, is he played out of good saving changes by offensive combo preceding the SOG...
2. Agreed. Point was that it's easy to see a possibility for pattern that can make usefullness of corsi stats for individuals even more skewed they are already.
3. Great! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad