What comes after Holland

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I don't know how true it is, but I thought I read this is Holland last year under contract. If we move forward from him what is the next step. 1 more year if Holland to hope Yzerman comes home. Another intern GM instead of a 1 year deal for Holland or is there another option I'm not thinking about.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Nothing.

Holland will become a cyborg and rule over Red Winglandia for all of eternity.

gn4ptE.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ryan Martin come on down

You might be joking, but this stinks of a Red Wings move, and I actually predicted it in another thread. We need a new face, but I think he has been groomed to take over. Hope I am wrong, but worries I am not.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the success will come after his good choice of selecting Tyler Wright as the new scouting director.

Draft picks from 2013 to 2020 will create a new contender core.

That's our future. A bright one.

Holland being a GM or not-being is pretty much a non-factor. Wright is the key.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
What is this obsession with Yzerman as GM? Im sure there are plenty of other viable candidates for the job if Holland were to retire.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
KOCUR will be new GM. All this new players need a great meneger. Patrick Roy as a coach

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Do everything in our available power to try and get Kyle Dubas if at all possible.

Dubas will be taking over in Toronto fully when Lamroiello retires. Detroit should be trying to pry away Mark Hunter from them. Give him full control instead of being one of 5 voices with input, he moves closer to home and can run the team exactly how he wants to.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Whoever it is they'll probably have the same philosophy as Holland. I won't be happy unless they have a degree in statistics...so I'm fairly confident I'm not going to be happy.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It really depends. If we replace Holland internally, it leaves little to be optimistic for. If we replace Holland externally? Better chance of it working out, but still could be bad.

Holland's a bottom 3 GM in the league and he needs to go regardless, but his successor may not be much better for all we know.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
What is this obsession with Yzerman as GM? Im sure there are plenty of other viable candidates for the job if Holland were to retire.

He is a legend for us. Which is why I don't and do want him AS GM. He has nothing to prove here and can only hurt his legacy, which would be a shame.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yzerman would be ideal for a few reasons:
  1. He understand the organization and franchise. This is important, there is humongous amounts of pride within the organization. An outsider GM may not understand the lofty perception everyone within the organization has regarding the franchise and it could turn ugly quickly. This is what happened with Michigan football when Rich Rodriguez was hired.
  2. Ken Holland has run the franchise off a cliff and it will probably take 5 or so years of being really, really bad in order to have a shot at being really, really good. Becoming really, really good could easily take 10 years from today. Having a guy with a ton of built up goodwill would be ideal as far as maintaining interest in the team. If someone like Ryan Martin is fumbling his way through a ten year rebuild we could very easily see interest in the franchise tank. Hell, it's tanking right now after "one" bad season.
  3. He's been in this situation with Tampa Bay. The Bolts obviously had some cornerstone pieces in Stamkos and Hedman before Stevie arrived however he'll likely be able to draft his cornerstone pieces in Detroit now that the bottom has totally fallen out. Holland engaged in a classic scenario of a frog sitting in a pot of water that slowly heats. The only thing Retool on the Fly has accomplished is making us one of the least competitive franchises in the league and built out a farm system that is long on "potential" and mediocre NHL talent but short on elite talent. Yzerman has turned a franchise around to the point where they have been to Conference and Cup Finals, which is exactly where we want to be.
  4. He's built contenders in high pressure situations for Team Canada. I know some like to dismiss this as saying anyone could do this however Canada hadn't had consistent success like they've had under Yzerman/Babcock. So there's something to be said for building out teams that meet very lofty expectations.
There are some potential downsides:
  1. He could end up being too loyal and accept the job with the understanding he'll keep the scouting team intact. Scouting has been pretty mediocre outside of Hakan Andersson so I would like the next GM have free reign to run the entire franchise however he sees fit.
  2. People could turn on him as the rebuild takes time and that would be a difficult situation for him. Some have made the analogy comparing Yzerman to Alan Trammel's tenure in Detroit however Yzerman would be running the franchise, not coaching so this is a minor concern in my opinion. However it could happen and it would be unfortunate. No one wants to do a million man march against the Captain.

Drawing one more Michigan football analogy, it would be a bit like going straight from Lloyd Carr to Jim Harbaugh. Obviously Holland was orders of magnitude more successful than Carr however both organizations have very high opinions of themselves and I do believe an outsider would have hurdles to clear in addition to doing the difficult job of trying to once again make the team competitive.

For me, Yzerman's strengths greatly outweigh the potential pitfalls. He'd be the best candidate possible.

Last edited:

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I don't care if Yzerman makes some mistakes as long as he takes risks. Which Holland never does. I also don't question Yzerman's will to win in the slightest. He is aggressive in his drive for success. Holland is a timid waste.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
It's hard to tell still if it's Holland fumbling the franchise into mediocrity or is it the ownership hell bent on getting into the playoffs. Both with continuing the streak and also opening the new building.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Holland 2.0

I said it in another thread, I'll say it here too. IMO this organization needs a good old fashioned housecleaning before we'll ever see any kind of light. Holland alone moving on will do jack squat. Not when we still have the "Friends of Kenny" community group still littering the FO.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Holland 2.0

I said it in another thread, I'll say it here too. IMO this organization needs a good old fashioned housecleaning before we'll ever see any kind of light. Holland alone moving on will do jack squat. Not when we still have the "Friends of Kenny" community group still littering the FO.

You're exactly right. We have Chelios and Draper as assistant GM's, we have Maltby as a scout, and I'm sure Cleary will be in the front office next year. Holland is smart, surround himself with loyal subjects, give long term contracts to everyone, and nobody internally complains.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What comes after Holland? Less certainty.

And with the current direction I'm certain they're continuing to go in, I'd happily take my chances with a little less certainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad