What characteristics does an ideal coach have for our team?

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
In in ideal world let's say we could find a coach with the desired play style, characteristics, rational, man-management, etc that we would like to see.

What do you want in an ideal coach for the Canucks?

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
One with common sense...like I honestly don't think AV has any I wonder how many shots to the head he took during his playing career...

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I just want a coach who doesn't favor sitting on a lead when only up by a goal. The mentality should always be to go for the jugular. The best defense is a relentless offense.

Blitzkrieg for the win.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
1. be a winner
2. never, ever, ever listen to what the fans say!

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A coach that wins every game, never makes a mistake and always picks he right guy in the shootouts. And also eats hot dogs instead of chewing gum on the bench.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I just want a coach who doesn't favor sitting on a lead when only up by a goal. The mentality should always be to go for the jugular. The best defense is a relentless offense.

Blitzkrieg for the win.

I agree. Hell, maybe not even relentless, but if your team is playing well and scoring goals, why stop them from what is bringing them success in the game? Keep the gameplan the same. I would like the sedins to be relentless though. That would be a nice change. I guess that is pretty much the same as being relentless. Oops.

Last edited:

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Blitzkrieg for the win.

I don't see the logic in dmen pinching and risking odd man chances if the Canucks are in the lead.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
For starters...... It would be nice to have a coach who recognizes that when you keep losing shootouts, maybe its time to stop letting the same guys shoot every time? Edler, Burrows, Kesler, the Sedins. Rince recycle repeat.... LOSE! Sure AV mixes in the odd Higgins, or Hansen Attempt. However, one, or more of those usual guys still always get attempts, and the Canucks just keep losing. I want to see Hamhuis shoot, Kassian looked decent when hes had a chance. Why not send Garrison out to wire the first shot at the goalies head once in a while. There just seems to be no gameplan to our shootouts what-so-ever. I honestly can't stand the shootout, but we sure are losing a number of points there......It's gotten to the point of embarrassment. You can just read the player's vibe on the bench, and it's like "oh no, another shootout". It honestly appears that the players expect to lose, before it even starts. They either can't get any saves when Luongo is in, or they can't get any goals for Schnieder.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
For starters...... It would be nice to have a coach who recognizes that when you keep losing shootouts, maybe its time to stop letting the same guys shoot every time? Edler, Burrows, Kesler, the Sedins. Rince recycle repeat.... LOSE! Sure AV mixes in the odd Higgins, or Hansen Attempt. However, one, or more of those usual guys still always get attempts, and the Canucks just keep losing. I want to see Hamhuis shoot, Kassian looked decent when hes had a chance. Why not send Garrison out to wire the first shot at the goalies head once in a while. There just seems to be no gameplan to our shootouts what-so-ever. I honestly can't stand the shootout, but we sure are losing a number of points there......It's gotten to the point of embarrassment. You can just read the player's vibe on the bench, and it's like "oh no, another shootout". It honestly appears that the players expect to lose, before it even starts. They either can't get any saves when Luongo is in, or they can't get any goals for Schnieder.

Sedins are never out there on the SO (aside from that one time this season). Sending Kesler out there twice (especially after that pathetic attempt the first time) was ridiculous. Why not try Booth or Kassian? Though SO is a problem (especially in a shortened season), it's not much of a concern in the big picture. Other areas are.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
In in ideal world let's say we could find a coach with the desired play style, characteristics, rational, man-management, etc that we would like to see.

What do you want in an ideal coach for the Canucks?

Last edited:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
An AV clone who is also a strong x's and o's guy that can switch up plays between periods.

I don't know much else about him, but the one thing I've heard about Lindy Ruff was that he was famous throughout the league for his adaptability, the way he could change the game-plan mid-game better than arguably anyone.

Would he be a good fit?

Main thing I struggle with is that I think a good coach gets more out of his team than the talent. While AV's record has been good the last few years, I think you could make the case that with the talent he's had the team's underperformed. Even if you put that on the players for not "showing up", being a good coach is supposed to be about being a psycholosit of sorts in practice, knowing how to cajole the best performance out of players.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Someone who truly plays players based on how thy are preforming, where anybody can get promoted/demoted based on their play. There is a balance between letting the players play through their struggles and benching them of course, but it seems as though too many players are given a seemingly infinite leash while others are sitting after one bad play

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
A really hot and attractive young woman wearing very revealing clothing.

asdfman

Weeeee
Nov 3, 2011
For the love of god a coach that will have players forecheck even when holding a one goal lead...

A coach that can make changes to his "system" in-game

A coach that will not hinder a player's ability to perform according to how the system works, but will adjust the system to allow the player to succeed

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
:laugh: This thread is starting to turn into a back handed version of the AV thread...

AV thread: I hate how AV always chews gum, and has that bewilded look on his face we need a new coach.

This thread: I would like a new coach that dose not chew gum and have a bewilded look on his face.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
He doesn't even have to be a good coach, it's not a necessity. Just be something different than what we have now, sometimes change is all that's needed, regardless of if it's an improvement or not.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
A guy who

-will coach offense. This isn't as common sense as you would think from stuff I've read about NHL coaching.

-have a sound defensive system that is SIMPLE.

-recognize and play to the strengths of our players, not try to plug everyone into one mould.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad