What changed from earlier into the season?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Small sample size at the beginning against Eastern teams.

The AVs are good...and are a bubble team at worst. They are missing a couple of key things though...
1. Biggest need is another top 4 dman (top 2 would be best since Hejda isn't getting any younger.) The D currently has a good top pairing but is filled with good guys who are average at best from there on. Most of them belong on the bottom pairing or at the least should be paired with a better player in the second pairing.
2. Top 9 forwards all pass and don't drive hard enough to the net. They really need someone to step up in this regards if they want to get ugly goals which are necessary and count just as much as pretty ones. The AVs are too easy to box out.
3. New coach with a new game plan gave us an advantage...after a month teams started to know what to expect and were able to coach ways to compensate for what Roy was cooking. The AVs simply don't have the skill/maturity yet to demand/force the other team to play their game.
4. Tanguay's injury. I've always loved the kid even if I was so damn perplexed by his ability to always be offsides during his first stint here but he really was the straw that stirred the offensive drink. He gave us three lines that could all score. With him out of the lineup the AVs have had to go to two scoring lines and Bordy. When Bordy is off his game and not scoring the AVs are adrift. :sarcasm:
5. Power play is a complete joke. There might not be another franchise in NHL history who has hard as hard a time gaining the zone and maintaining possession of the puck while on the man-advantage. Once the AVs achieve those goals...they simply keep passing until they lose possession because of number 2.

Still...very bright future ahead of these kids. They need to develop more of a bulldog mentality on the top two lines or bring in a player that can fill that role but offensively I think they'll be fine once MacKinnon is able to slow things down a bit. So hard to believe he's only 18 years old still. Tanguay being injured really threw him out of his protected/growing role as a third line center and into a top line winger role. I don't want to blame kids that were cut from the team but not being able to call up Hishon/Sgarbossa to fill needs has hurt this team. They need more scoring depth options from the AHL when injuries hit.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The three scoring lines thing was a luxury but realistically how long was it going to last? Avs have been lucky to only have one significant injury in the top 9 until now, it could be much, much worse. Now we are banking on a 34 year old forward who has been out for two months to remain healthy for the rest of the season in order to go back to the three line approach? It isn't going to happen. Roy wants a more traditional top 6 and bottom 6 anyway. One way or another MacKinnon is going to see a top 6 role for the majority of the season.

That poor defense still has them 11th in the league in goals against.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The three scoring lines thing was a luxury but realistically how long was it going to last? Avs have been lucky to only have one significant injury in the top 9 until now, it could be much, much worse. Now we are banking on a 34 year old forward who has been out for two months to remain healthy for the rest of the season in order to go back to the three line approach? It isn't going to happen. Roy wants a more traditional top 6 and bottom 6 anyway. One way or another MacKinnon is going to see a top 6 role for the majority of the season.

That poor defense still has them 11th in the league in goals against.

That is good, and surprising. But such a waste when you consider where we COULD be with a decent d-core. Possibly top 5 defensively.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are playing fine defensively. It's built into Roy's man-on-man marking system that teams will be allowed to cycle the puck since Avs don't swarm players under pressure (it would lead to them giving up following their player) forcing turnovers. So teams will have the puck on the outside a lot. Teams will take a lot of low percentage shots since they almost always have a defender between them and the goal.

But as far as giving up good scoring chances, Avs are doing great this season. They aren't worse than many of the other teams in a playoff spot. They're helping Varlamov much more than in the past and suddenly Varlamov allows fewer deflating goals.

Just because Avs are doing very well defensively it doesn't mean Roy is an alchemist. Upgrading a Benoit/Sarich/Guenin to a Gorges would probably make Avs even more solid in their own end.

I know people here love to interpret teams having the puck in our zone as Avs being dominated but playing bend but not break defense is a valid way to play defense. Avs are giving up more shots/game this year compared to the last three years. But as far as giving up scoring chances it's much better.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
More shooting
More goals
Better forechecking
Better d core
Giving us a more consistent presence. I'm not unhappy after the last few years of blah. Glad we came back against kings and sharks, but now we need some fire. Somebody to become our new Downy, a fireplug that changes the emotional equation. I hate losing, but much more I hate passionless play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad