What CBJ players would you not trade for McDavid?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
An, interesting thread on the mains: What CBJ players would you not trade for McDavid?

I'm curious what fans here say.

I can only name 4:

Johansen
Foligno
Dubinsky
Bobrovsky

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think the better question is what combination of players wouldn't you move.

Realistically it would take a combination on the order of Johansen + Bobrovsky + this year's first + next year's first + other assets to get him. It would be a tough decision to make. I really don't know what I'd do. I've seen McDavid play. He really does look like something special, but the price to get him would be so steep that the risk involved would make me leery to pay the price.

That is unless they hire Peter Chiarelli as GM. Then it would be Dubinsky + Tyutin + this year's first:laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
All. Because **** that ****. We don't need a Savior Forward. We can and will win without that silliness.

I don't even really care as a hypothetical thought exercise. I am sick of this sentiment of "if only we had $BIG_NAME". We'll be infinitely better once we make our own big names for ourselves, and we're already doing that.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Literally take whatever 5 roster players you want Edmonton.

Johansen + Bob + Murray + Foligno + Dubinsky. Ouch.

I don't think that Edmonton would have the cap space.

It probably would take something as dramatic as any 5 players they'd want. I'd guess that the potential fall out for trading McDavid is going to make Edmonton unwilling to trade him for almost anything. Unless McDavid pulls a Lindros which I think is very unlikely given what appears to be his disposition and that of his agent (Bobby Orr).

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
All. Because **** that ****. We don't need a Savior Forward. We can and will win without that silliness.

I don't even really care as a hypothetical thought exercise. I am sick of this sentiment of "if only we had $BIG_NAME". We'll be infinitely better once we make our own big names for ourselves, and we're already doing that.

Heck yeah - I mean 15 seasons, 2 playoff appearances and 2 playoff game wins is all anyone should ever ask for! :)

Joking - I know most feel like we are (finally) headed in a direction that is not sinking but I'd still give up anything (like I said pick any 5 roster players) for a guy like McDavid.
So I'm in the camp that if we get the right "Savior" that it would give us more opportunities for a longer window. Again that is just my opinion and I know some won't agree but I would give up a lot of veterans to get him. I wouldn't trade a ton of future 1st round picks (is the one caveat).

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Trade them all together with Portzline, change Oil totally... Only Johansen, Boll and Cannon stay here :sarcasm:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Johansen is the only player I wouldn't trade simply because McD isn't proven yet. But the hype and likeliness of becoming a 1C in the NHL makes him valuable enough to trade anyone else. Doesn't mean I'd do it, though. I wouldn't trade Bobrovsky for just any 1C, we've already got that position filled. But would I trade Bobrovsky for a Crosby-level talent with his prime years ahead of him? **** yeah I would.

nativecbj

Jan 16, 2014
Dayton, OH
I would't trade anybody. This team is not desperate and I would be ashamed of the organization if they did try to move some of the big players on the roster. Ridiculous thread. Its not like McDavid will bring endless Cups to anybody. How many Cups do Sid and the Pens have? Oh thats right one. Because hockey is a team game...This aint golf folks.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
McDavid could outscore Johansen next year. For a player like McDavid you can take all your well learned "wait til he's proven" and throw it in the trash.

A better question: Is there a single player in the NHL who wouldn't be traded 1 for 1 for McDavid?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
McDavid could outscore Johansen next year. For a player like McDavid you can take all your well learned "wait til he's proven" and throw it in the trash.

A better question: Is there a single player in the NHL who wouldn't be traded 1 for 1 for McDavid?

if McDavid lives up to the hype then no. Simply because he will be on a rookie contract for a few years where you can get MAX production at a discount.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

This is just now beyond idiotic.

We're already predicting a PPG pace for this kid? Totally unfair to the wee lil tyke. I'm not sure where his career will take him, but I will say that we are entered the realm of insane.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Straight up?

I would deal anyone. In a second.

Me too

Combos get a bit more complicated. I would go as far as Joey Jenner top prospect and a first

Even that is a bit short term weakening but long term I feel it would make for a better team.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wow, I respect all the opinions, but I'm really shocked just how much some of you would give up for McDavid.

IMO, you can't move a PPG player for a prospect, no matter how hyped he is. McKinnon was hyped too, not saying he's bad, and I know this was probably an off season, but he's no where near the value of 71, 17, 72, or 19 imo. These are 4 young, proven players, with good contracts and promising outlooks for several years to come.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
How many Cups do Sid and the Pens have? Oh thats right one. Because hockey is a team game...This aint golf folks.

So one cup isn't enough? Heck after 15 seasons it would be nice to win a playoff series, much less 4 series in a row in same season.

What is your expectation for Ry-Jo's career (or Dano or Wenneberg or pick your favorite) here with the CBJ? 3 cups? 6? Just interested in what is your expectation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

pires-choix-repechage-alexandre-daigle.jpg

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Any good team, has 3 or 4 players I wouldn't trade 1 for 1 for any undrafted player.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
It seems that I have wandered into the Cleveland Browns board.

You can all go back to discussing mortgaging all the talent on the roster for Mariota, but please direct me back to the Columbus Blue Jackets board first. :D

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
This is just now beyond idiotic.

We're already predicting a PPG pace for this kid? Totally unfair to the wee lil tyke. I'm not sure where his career will take him, but I will say that we are entered the realm of insane.

We've gone well past insane.

How about we see him in an NHL game first before before we start retiring his number league-wide like he's Wayne Gretzky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad