What can you tell me about Alex Goligoski?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
http://post-gazette.com/pg/04180/338680.stm

In some cases, they went for talent that was more raw than refined. That was especially true of the three high school players and third-round forward Nick Johnson, who came from the second-tier Alberta Junior Hockey League.

Goligoski, for example, won over the Penguins' management with a sterling tryout in Minnesota just two weeks before the draft. And he did so mostly by simply skating with speed that the scouts found to be uncommonly good. As a result, even though he was projected as no better than a seventh-rounder by most publications, he went 61st overall.

"I am telling you: Not only can that kid skate, but he also can make a pass as well as anyone in this draft," the team's Minnesota scout, Chuck Grillo, said. "Anyone at all."

Grillo added that Glen Sonmor, a respected former NHL and NCAA coach in Minnesota, advised the team that Goligoski could do for the Penguins what defenseman Jordan Leopold did for the Calgary Flames in the recent Stanley Cup playoffs, using his speed and skill to keep the puck in the attacking zone.

When to take Goligoski and others of similar anonymity prompted some "pretty spirited" debate at the Penguins' table, general manager Craig Patrick said. Some scouts felt that patience would be prudent, that their players still would be on the board for later rounds. Others worried that another team that had seen Goligoski or others on their wish list would jump in.

"There was a lot of discussion because of the way the draft was," head scout Greg Malone said. "We pretty much followed our list, but there still was a lot of discussion where maybe you think about grabbing a guy before he's not available anymore."

"My feeling was that we should step up," Grillo said. "Why wait? We know we want him. Let's get him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad