Post-Game Talk (GBU): What Can You Do

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Brennan had one really great chance. A middle of the ice, nobody to block it rocket from the point and in typical Sabre fashion, he missed the net.

I just remember the sound of that one hitting the glass. It was different than the sound you normally hear. Kid can overpower a goalie with a wrister from 40 feet with no screen. Most teams don't have anyone that can do that. If he and Armia are on the team in the near future we'd have 2.

I'm willing to take my lumps with kids like Brennan and Grigs this year, especially when vets like Leofold are making just as many mistakes and aren't likely to learn from them.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
How many coaches are in 1 spot for 15+ years?

How many top Sabres picks have turned into elite or superstars? Some negative can be attibuted to Darcy but Lindy has a say and Lindy is supposed to be this fantastic coach.

Lindy has had 1 - Vanek and I wouldn't say he's elite, but I would say he's had times were he looks like a superstar.

Depends on how you want to define elite.

I'd say... Vanek, Campbell, Pominville, and Miller.

As for the third period last night, Grigs isn't the best on the defensive side as of yet, so I can see him perhaps getting less ice time in that situation. Give the kid a chance to develop.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I just remember the sound of that one hitting the glass. It was different than the sound you normally hear. Kid can overpower a goalie with a wrister from 40 feet with no screen. Most teams don't have anyone that can do that. If he and Armia are on the team in the near future we'd have 2.

I'm willing to take my lumps with kids like Brennan and Grigs this year, especially when vets like Leofold are making just as many mistakes and aren't likely to learn from them.

Yeah I'd rather play Brennan than LOLpold, LOLpold is just as bad defensively right now and offensively is average, maybe Brennan can spark our PP.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah I'd rather play Brennan than LOLpold, LOLpold is just as bad defensively right now and offensively is average, maybe Brennan can spark our PP.

I've never been a Leopold fan... never liked the signing... but Leopold is a solid NHL Defensemen, Brennan is not.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I've never been a Leopold fan... never liked the signing... but Leopold is a solid NHL Defensemen, Brennan is not.

I wasn't impressed by Brennan and I agree Leopold is better, but he's been downright awful this year in every situation. Bench play, play Brennan and see if Leopold comes back and plays better. Also, perhaps playing Brennan will aid our tank job.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

And you don't want to compromise your bargaining position down the road when you have to trade him at the deadline. Don't give your negotiation opponent any ammunition to throw in your face, like a healthy scratch. Keep playing him! He's had a stretch like this each year. He'll be fine.

(I also think Brennan is a nothing prospect, so I'm not compromising my leverage at the deadline just to play someone like him.)

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Pominville doubled down with Ruff about Kaleta. Jason's been one of the three best forwards on this team since recovering from the concussion, but that's not a captainly soundbite.

When I saw the play realtime and on replay, my take on it was essentially the same. Kaleta saw the hit coming, and turned to the glass. So they're right, some of that injury is on Patty not protecting himself.

That said, it's very similar to a previous hit Kaleta delivered, for which he was suspended 2 games. Leafs nation had some interesting commentary about the hit at the time. Let's see if they're consistent now that they're on the other side of it.

Yeah, I know. :laugh:

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Depends on how you want to define elite.

I'd say... Vanek, Campbell, Pominville, and Miller.

As for the third period last night, Grigs isn't the best on the defensive side as of yet, so I can see him perhaps getting less ice time in that situation. Give the kid a chance to develop.

I certainly don't consider Pominville or Campbell elite. They are pretty good players who probably are better than they should be, but they aren't elite.

Kid can't develop and learn from the bench.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
And you don't want to compromise your bargaining position down the road when you have to trade him at the deadline. Don't give your negotiation opponent any ammunition to throw in your face, like a healthy scratch. Keep playing him! He's had a stretch like this each year. He'll be fine.

(I also think Brennan is a nothing prospect, so I'm not compromising my leverage at the deadline just to play someone like him.)

agreed

personally, i think you can put Brennan on waivers right now, and he'd pass right through

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Nah, you can't scratch Leo. He's going to be traded. First team that offers a #1, or best available 2nd-rounder at the deadline. That was referenced on page 5 I think. And if someone wants to offer the same for Regehr, you betcha we'll ask about that no-trade clause.

But seeing as we have 4 or 5 bottom-pairing (at best) defensemen and an inadequate member in the top-4 (that would be Leo), I have no problem with a taxi squad formed from Sulzer, Regehr, Weber, Brennan and (ultimately) Pardy to rotate in and out of the lineup.

A lot of people really hate Brannan and consider him a permanent AHLer and they may be right. But he's only 23, a decent enough skater (not a Joe Finley), has good size, and a great shot. Who's to say he absolutely is done with his development? Whereas Leopold is 32 and still playing crap defense. After the trade deadline if Brennan and Weber/Pardy are in there in lieu of Leo and Regehr, are we really that much worse off (not to mention the extra picks in a strong draft and shedding of salary)?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not so sure, finley was claimed after all.

while teams were putting rosters together

Finley is better than Brennan

not many teams have room to carry an inexperienced, offensive defensemen.

they have to put him on their NHL roster.... everyone has a Brennan in their system.

Nathan Paetsch 2.0

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Hrmm, I recall he was pretty bad on the Leafs' second goal. I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

He is not good in his own end right now.
He got picked clean on the draw that directly resulted in the point chance for the 3rd goal as well. He was not good at all last night before his goal.

EDIT: I also think he was supposed to come off before that faceoff but didn't end up making it to the bench, seeing as how Vanek and Pominville came on late...if that's the case, I'm surprised he got any ice time at all in the 3rd.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Leopold is an average #4 NHL defenseman who can play all three phases. He had one of the better GVT's of Sabres defensemen last year. We're not scratching him, and if we do it'll be a game. We're moving him at the deadline, so scratching him does nothing positive for us. Just have to ride it out.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Not sure how much a head coach has to do with coaching a goalie... but okay. 1.

He's the only "elite" or "superstar" player we have.

Pominville is a good player, Vanek is a good player, others are good players.

Only Miller even comes close to Elite or SuperStar.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He's the only "elite" or "superstar" player we have.

Pominville is a good player, Vanek is a good player, others are good players.

Only Miller even comes close to Elite or SuperStar.

elite goalies are a myth

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
elite goalies are a myth

Different argument, but if people who believe in that term make a list, he's going to appear on it most of the time. That's the only metric I was using.

No one's putting Vanek, Poms, Campbell, etc on a list of "elite" anything.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

I totally agree. Let the kid play in place of Leopold and I would imagine he will get better and better.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I totally agree. Let the kid play in place of Leopold and I would imagine he will get better and better.

No. Stop trying to **** our draft pick that we're going to get in exchange for Leo, especially for a nobody like Brennan. As bad as Leo was last night, Brennan was almost as bad, and in half the minutes. Brennan is not an NHL player.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
No. Stop trying to **** our draft pick that we're going to get in exchange for Leo, especially for a nobody like Brennan. As bad as Leo was last night, Brennan was almost as bad, and in half the minutes. Brennan is not an NHL player.

QFT. I've never been a fan of Brennan (I never rated him as high in the prospect polls as he ended up) and haven't seen anything from him to convince me I'm wrong. Brennan clearly looked like he didn't belong in the NHL yesterday. The organization will gain more by letting Leopold play and trading him for pick(s) at the deadline than scratching him and having Brennan stink up the ice.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I've never been a Brennan fan, even when they drafted him. But I'd like to see a couple of more games from him before I completely close that door. Anyone think we could trade him for a 3rd instead of waiving him?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I've never been a Brennan fan, even when they drafted him. But I'd like to see a couple of more games from him before I completely close that door. Anyone think we could trade him for a 3rd instead of waiving him?

Maybe the canucks need another PP wizard.

:naughty:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

I can't wait to collect a 4th round pick for Leopold so we can draft a defenceman with even less promise than Brennan.

Leopold's play at the end of the game cost us the extra point. While Brennan made some mistakes, they can probably be corrected. Leopold just didn't try. I can't watch that.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

There's no real reason to do anything with him. Leave him in Rochester, they can use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad