What Can We Learn?

OldFESeides

May 15, 2014
So, you lost to your arch rival in a pivotal game 7 in the playoffs the year before. The next season your playoff hopes become that, just hopes.....sounds familiar right? The 2011-2012 Montreal Canadiens.

It seems like the Bruins are about to repeat history here.... So I guess the bigger question is, what can we learn from that 2011-2012 team? Montreal also had a plethora of expiring contracts on players that did not show up, and just plain sucked. They also fired their head coach, Jacques Martin (granted early into the 2011 season) and then Paul Gauthier was fired at the end of the season.

So, what can the Bruins Organization take away from this. Again, I think we have to look at Montreal as an example. The year before they lost to the Bruins, they lost to the Flyers in the ECF. Bruins lost to CHI in SCF. There's just so many glaring similarities between these two teams.

I just want to see what the fan base thoughts are around this.

*insert famous quote about repeating history is we don't study it or some crap*

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Difference is MTL had real scouting/drafting. We didn't (don't?).

Habs fan coming in peace. There are similarities between the two situations. After the disaster of 2011-12 Montreal did a great job of rebuilding but they did not do a whole lot except get rid of some underperforming veterans and let the youth assume a leadership role.

Todays key guys were all on that 2011 team that lost to Boston or in the system by the end of 2012

Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Pleckanec, Markov, Emelin. Gallagher was drafted in 2011.

They key was getting rid of the Gomez's , Camallari, Kostisyyns etc and making room for the youth.

I see some good pieces in Pasternak, Spooner, Hamilton, krug etc. bergeron and the Marchand are welcome on my team any day. Question is is it time to move on from Chara and maybe Lucic? Chara is getting old, Lucic has lost his mojo

OldFESeides

May 15, 2014
Habs fan coming in peace. There are similarities between the two situations. After the disaster of 2011-12 Montreal did a great job of rebuilding but they did not do a whole lot except get rid of some underperforming veterans and let the youth assume a leadership role.

Todays key guys were all on that 2011 team that lost to Boston or in the system by the end of 2012

Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Pleckanec, Markov, Emelin. Gallagher was drafted in 2011.

They key was getting rid of the Gomez's , Camallari, Kostisyyns etc and making room for the youth.

I see some good pieces in Pasternak, Spooner, Hamilton, krug etc. bergeron and the Marchand are welcome on my team any day. Question is is it time to move on from Chara and maybe Lucic? Chara is getting old, Lucic has lost his mojo

Nice to see an opinion from the other side, I promise we won't chase you out of town.

I think Boston has become complacent, and almost entitled to the fact that we were going to be a sure in when it came time for the playoffs. As you said we have to let the youth step in to their role, as Montreal did. Which we've talked about to exhaustion on this board.

In terms of Chara, he has what 2/3 years left? I'd hold on to him and try to find the bridge between him and Dougie Hamilton and let him play out the rest of his career here.

Again, it's also a management issue. It seems like GM's and Coaches in other systems that are used to success (looking at Pitts and Montreal) have been given a much shorter leash than the guys here.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013

Many of us on here have been asking for this for a long time, not necessarily in a leadership role, but just plain giving them a good chance to grow, build, and succeed.

Let's face it, if the B's FO had done it's job in the off-season/deadline and DK wasn't injured, there is no way we'd be seeing the likes of Spooner or Pasta in the lineup right now. Even a guy like Ferlin who has some great looks of a legit 4th liner sitting for this ridiculously good 4th line we get to watch. :sarcasm:

But good think Clode gives the young blood a good chance.

Oh, and the dead weight 4th line and a few others we need to shed are in Clode's circle and will take an act of god to part ways with.

Thanks for an "outsider's" view tho!

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Nice to see an opinion from the other side, I promise we won't chase you out of town.

I think Boston has become complacent, and almost entitled to the fact that we were going to be a sure in when it came time for the playoffs. As you said we have to let the youth step in to their role, as Montreal did. Which we've talked about to exhaustion on this board.

In terms of Chara, he has what 2/3 years left? I'd hold on to him and try to find the bridge between him and Dougie Hamilton and let him play out the rest of his career here.

Again, it's also a management issue. It seems like GM's and Coaches in other systems that are used to success (looking at Pitts and Montreal) have been given a much shorter leash than the guys here.

I think PC (not attempting to spell that) is a very good GM. The Kessel trade was the trade of the century so far but you are right they got complacent or cocky and made a mistake with Seguin. He also totally missmanaged the cap, that bonus laden contract to Iginla being the worst in that it cost him the ability to use Savard's LTIR. Had he signed Iginla for 6 million he w/o the bonus he could have iced the same team last year with less flexibility at the deadline and kept Boychuk this year. I felt that the time to trade Chara was this year but that would have been a gamble and could have cost him his job. It may be best to keep Chara going forward but his role needs to be reduced. much like Mtl keeping Markov, he is slower but still can play great positionally.

Lucic has what one year left?, I miss Capgeek,I would be in no rush to resign him until I saw how he played next year. great player but at $6M plus thats a lot of cap hit. It may be time to let some veterans go. If they fire PC Ottawa will hire him in an instant to replace bryan Murray.

Still hoping for a Habs bruins playoff matchup this year

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
I think PC (not attempting to spell that) is a very good GM. The Kessel trade was the trade of the century so far but you are right they got complacent or cocky and made a mistake with Seguin. He also totally missmanaged the cap, that bonus laden contract to Iginla being the worst in that it cost him the ability to use Savard's LTIR. Had he signed Iginla for 6 million he w/o the bonus he could have iced the same team last year with less flexibility at the deadline and kept Boychuk this year. I felt that the time to trade Chara was this year but that would have been a gamble and could have cost him his job. It may be best to keep Chara going forward but his role needs to be reduced. much like Mtl keeping Markov, he is slower but still can play great positionally.

Lucic has what one year left?, I miss Capgeek,I would be in no rush to resign him until I saw how he played next year. great player but at $6M plus thats a lot of cap hit. It may be time to let some veterans go. If they fire PC Ottawa will hire him in an instant to replace bryan Murray.

Still hoping for a Habs bruins playoff matchup this year

I've loved everything that Chara has given us here, but I to believed this year was the year to part ways and really try to get something for him. And to exasterbate the issue, Clode's going to continue to ride him hard and not reduce his role as you mentioned.

Second bold, we want absolutely nothing to do with this. Avoid it like the plague. We want Tampa like you want us.

OldFESeides

May 15, 2014
What's the reality of us getting a GM in here that challenge Claude? I want someone that takes away Claudes safety blanket and forces him to work with something else. As we've seen time and time again with our young prospects, I want a GM that forces his hand, to put the BEST team they can on the ice.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I've loved everything that Chara has given us here, but I to believed this year was the year to part ways and really try to get something for him. And to exasterbate the issue, Clode's going to continue to ride him hard and not reduce his role as you mentioned.

Second bold, we want absolutely nothing to do with this. Avoid it like the plague. We want Tampa like you want us.

Our ideal senario has you guys knocking tampa out in the first round since we cannot beat them. Its the rock paper siccsors of the NHL tampa> Mtl > Bos>tampa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad