Speculation: What can we expect from John Marino in the 21'-22' season

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
What do you think management expects Marino

What do you expect of Marino

Obviously we're all hoping he can at the very least, return to his rookie year form after this disappointing sophomore season. I'm hoping to see 25pts and solid two way play, but I figure he will probably put up 15 pts and be up and down play-wise the upcoming season

Edit: Didn't see the thread prefix for Player Discussion, so if a mod wants to change the thread to that, thats cool too

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I want him to drive that second pairing and allow Matheson to play his game.

I expect him to be more consistent than last year, but not hit the level he gave us during that insane rookie season.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We really need him to perform like how he did in his rookie year. There's a lot riding on him tbh. Pens RD depth becomes abysmal if Marino doesn't perform.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Marino found out last year what life as a Penguins defenseman is really like (getting pounded high, hard and late, time after time), and he understandably didn't seem to care for that aspect of the game. Needs to toughen up and/or get back to moving the puck more quickly and be in better position to absorb -- or duck away from -- the regular cheap shots. He did seem to be getting better at ducking as the season progressed, so that's nice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’d like to see him focus more on defense and stabilize Matheson on the 2nd pairing.

This. Even though he contributed to the attack as a rookie, he was at his best when he was playing like a rock solid, dependable defensive defenseman.

We need him to get back to that, even if there's not much offense to show for it. We desperately need him to be our #3 this season and anchor that second pairing so that Matheson can be an asset as a transition defender.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno, but I really hope it includes finding a good partnership with Matheson or there's probably gonna be some ugliness with one of them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like Matheson is going to continue to be worth his contract and Marino will continue to falter next year. It really sucks that Marino is a question mark. Because he was one piece we really couldn’t afford that to happen to.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved for a Manson type prior to the season.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I feel like Matheson is going to continue to be worth his contract and Marino will continue to falter next year. It really sucks that Marino is a question mark. Because he was one piece we really couldn’t afford that to happen to.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved for a Manson type prior to the season.

Make more takes about Philly getting bad players.

Leave the Pens alone.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
One thing for sure, he may have a upside that Petts doesn't have for the same contract. I do feel better about that deal than I ever did with Petts. I think he does need some serious time in the weight room to get stronger and handle things better. I think Matheson also could use some size and strength as well. Rumor is Marinos dad was a butt in on his sons play and didn't sit well with the Pens.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I want him to return to his rookie form. I'd be happy if he made significant steps toward that, even if he didn't quite reach that level again.

I'm not sure which player is the real Marino. The defensive stud we saw in his first year, or the discombobulated mess we saw this past year. Hopefully he ends up closer to the former than the latter, and quickly, because at nearly $4.5 million AAV, patience if gonna run real thin when he's making boneheaded plays or getting worked by opposing forwards.

He's gotta be the 2RD, imo. Make it work, or don't, but no more bullshit on the bottom pairing. Especially if we can't/won't part with Petts.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think he will be better than last year but not as good as the rookie year.

I do expect a couple guys to have good bounce back seasons.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jones was just a fever dream for me. That team is going to be awful if Hart doesn’t turn it around and I see no reason he will.

Honestly, our division f***ing sucks lol. If we miss the playoffs I’ll be pissed this year.

I was idly thinking this one through the other day. Obviously, things have got a little harder simply because the Atlantic is no longer so weak that the Metropolitan can expect to put five teams into the playoffs every time.

Carolina are a lock from the Metro. I think NYI are very close to being one.

Columbus are probably screwed.

NYR and NJD look roughly the same to me (NYR were better until they traded Buch and NJD picked up Hamilton) in that they're probably not strong enough all round but who know with a sudden surge from one of the young high picks?

Almost tempted to say Philadelphia will be good as the unwritten law of the hockey universe is that when expected to be good they're bad and when expected to be bad they're good, but pretty difficult to believe in a team lining up Ristolainen for major minutes, Martin Jones for their back up, and who have an ageing forward corps.

That leaves us and Washington - both dependent on a core who could drop off any minute, our core is better and theirs is less injury prone. I don't think either of us are done shedding cap - we could be with a good deal on ZAR, but I don't think that fits with Hextall's declared desire for a cushion or the fact he wants a goalie, and I think we'll see something happen there. I am fairly sure Washington aren't because they've got a 20 man roster with 2.6m to spend and Samsonov unsigned and I don't see how that all fits. Also holy shit their blueline looks old and that goaltending pairing makes ours look super accomplished.

So, yeah. Weakest I've seen the Metro in a long time.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
A return to form as a savvy 2nd pairing RD. Solid on D and in transition, leaving the offensive work to Matheson. If he can be Dumoulin-lite to Matheson's Letang-lite, we will be good.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I think some of the offensive production will come back. Though he's a great skater and puck handler I don't think he'll consistently produce at .46 points a game like he did his rookie season. I see around 30 points.

People also think he had a worse season than he had because of the offensive production. Led our defensemen in the playoffs in Corsi. Topdown hockey had his WAR at 67% and Defense as 71%. Worth 4.4 million? Maybe not but still a solid effort defensively.

I feel like we gave him a contract before we fully knew what kind of player he was going to be. Is he going to produce around 40 points a year or 30? Will he score 20 but be good defensively? Next year should tell us a lot if he's healthy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Marino was asked to do a lot in his sophomore season. When they finally put him in his position and let him play, he started to climb back out of the hole he was in. Not sure he and Matheson are great partners though.

I could absolutely see him included in a trade at some point in the next year or two.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Sophomore slump extremely well documented for NHL defenseman

Should look just fine next to Matheson or POJ, assuming Pettersson is moved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad