What can we do to get rid of Ray?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Serious question and topic here.

It is well past time for Rob Ray to go. We have to let management know that he's just not right for the job he's doing. So what can we do? Post to the Sabres facebook page? Flood the recommendation box? Put a sign up on the 90? I'd love to get a quality guy in the booth to replace him. None of this between the benches crap either. Just fire him outright or shuffle him to the desk to replace Robitaille.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't think anything will make it happen. Management has to be aware of how bad he is, yet have chosen to keep him. It's embarrassing for a franchise in such a good hockey market, with deep pockets and a history of great broadcasting, to have Rob Ray as a full-time color analyst. He's just bad -- painfully inarticulate and, though he has occasional insights, most of what he wishes to articulate are platitudes. People complained about Harry Neale but he was a legend in his twilight, far superior to Ray. Ray was alright between the benches, but whoever thought he should have been promoted from that was and is insane.

If there were a petition I'd sign it, but I wouldn't have any hope that it'd matter. The organization has brought in a great studio guy and a good up-and-coming play-by-play man behind RJ, now they need to bring in a competent color analyst. Don't get me started on replacing the Hockey Hotline crew.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Serious question and topic here.

It is well past time for Rob Ray to go. We have to let management know that he's just not right for the job he's doing. So what can we do? Post to the Sabres facebook page? Flood the recommendation box? Put a sign up on the 90? I'd love to get a quality guy in the booth to replace him. None of this between the benches crap either. Just fire him outright or shuffle him to the desk to replace Robitaille.

But is he "doing a good job there"? :sarcasm:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
That would be wasteful. Besides, what if he pitches a grammar no-hitter?

You mean, like, we unlock a part of his brain that's never been battered and he comes out speaking clear, eloquent prose with insightful observations?

tehinternet

Jul 6, 2012
I'm still trying to figure out what happened at the Dev Camp Scrimmage. Was that scrimmage broadcasted on TV or are all these people complaining about Ray while they were at the arena?

What was so bad about him?

I remember in his first year or two of broadcasting he sucked, but he got better at it. He seemed fine by me doing color. I like Duff too.

So I guess my questions, what is with the sudden outrage?

Perhaps he's just rusty and talking about a whole bunch of fresh faces with new numbers that he typically hasn't seen play after having a few months off is the reason?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
My thinking exactly.

My question as well. There seems to be a swelling of opinion from one game. It must've been...colorful.

Ray simply lacks the ability to articulate concise and meaningful commentary in a short period of time that is required to be a good (or at least a competent) color analyst. I often find myself uttering Whiskey Tango Foxtrot after one of his in-telecast statements during game play and his mispronunciation of player names is intolerable.

He simply does not meet the standard that's required to be a member of an on-air NHL broadcast team. IMO, he's woefully inadequate and this is not a new development for anyone who has listened to him for any decent length of time.

Last edited:

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Ray simply lacks the ability to articulate concise and meaningful commentary in a short period of time that is required to be a good (or at least a competent) color analyst. I find myself uttering Whiskey Tango Foxtrot after one of his in-telecast statements during game play and his mispronunciation of player names is intolerable.

He simply does not meet the standard that's required to be a member of an on-air NHL broadcast team. IMO, he's woefully inadequate and this is not a new development for anyone who has listened to him for any decent length of time.
Yeah, I know all that (and I agree), but with the uproar it seemed like he was, I don't know, maybe EXTRA bad...? Maybe it's because it was a stand-alone game? Much more concentrated venom than during the season, to me at least, but I certainly get the overall dislike. He's just not good.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
As a between the benches guy, Ray would be fine. It's just...his grasp on the English language is tenuous at best, and basically he just repeats "he's doing nice work down low" as praise for everyone except grigorenko (or, as he puts it, "gregoranko")
^Last night he seemed especially awful

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I'm fine with Ray. I even like him. Yeah, he's got a stripped down vocabulary.. I don't really care. He gets his point across. I'm not watching the game to be blown away by the color commentator. I just need him to make sense and break the play down without breaking it down the wrong way, and he does that just fine.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Rayzor would be fine as the 3rd guy you throw down to occasionally or maybe postgame guy spewing his stuff, but as an announcer he's clearly bad.

And as always, complaining and sending letter doesn't help, it actually hurts. You have to just wait until people realize he's bad at his job.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I'm fine with Ray. I even like him. Yeah, he's got a stripped down vocabulary.. I don't really care. He gets his point across. I'm not watching the game to be blown away by the color commentator. I just need him to make sense and break the play down without breaking it down the wrong way, and he does that just fine.

I completely disagree with this. Far too often, it's exactly the opposite IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad