What can the Sharks expect from Nieto in 2014-15?

MichaelPonce

Aug 25, 2014
San Jose
Matt Nieto made strides toward being a top-six forward late last season, and certainly had a solid postseason (at least relative to the other Sharks). We know that DW is going to be using this next season to evaluate his young talent, so what can we expect to see from Nieto?

I discuss this at Along the Boards.

Please, go there, share it and feel free to sound off with your opinions.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited:

MichaelPonce

Aug 25, 2014
San Jose
45 points. Really put it together towards the end and had a decent playoff run

Yeah, he really did.

What do you figure his splits will be on the G/A, and where do you think he projects to slot in on the lines (at least to start, we know how TMac likes to roll those lines)?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, he really did.

What do you figure his splits will be on the G/A, and where do you think he projects to slot in on the lines (at least to start, we know how TMac likes to roll those lines)?

I boldly believe he'll break 50 points. I'm guessing he plays with Couture and Marleau to start the coming season like he did to end last season. Considering that these two guys are noted shooters, I'd guess that he'll have something like 15g 35a or 20g 30a since he's shown to have a great shot too. However, I'm curious to see how a full season as part of the shutdown line affects his play.

MichaelPonce

Aug 25, 2014
San Jose
I boldly believe he'll break 50 points. I'm guessing he plays with Couture and Marleau to start the coming season like he did to end last season. Considering that these two guys are noted shooters, I'd guess that he'll have something like 15g 35a or 20g 30a since he's shown to have a great shot too. However, I'm curious to see how a full season as part of the shutdown line affects his play.

Man, I really hope so.

I tried aiming low in my article because I'd rather guess lower now and be pleasantly surprised when he goes over than overestimate and look like a dingus. Going from 24 to 40 points would be a vast improvement, though. 50 would be redonk, but awesome.

I am just uncertain how many shifts he will be starting in the O-zone compared to last season with Burns and his monster Corsi moving to the blue line and the closest wrecking ball-type replacement in Torres looking at missing an extended period of time. Not so confident in their forechecking and puck-possessing abilities ATM, but maybe Wingels will step it up.

I'd say, unless McLellan had his V8 and is feeling extra bold and decides to go really young on that top line, you're spot-on with that line combo.

Here's to hoping Nieto puts up 20/30/50, though!

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I hate to say it, but I'm just hoping Nieto can play a full season. I really enjoy his play, but I am always concerned about the durability of a speed player. Yes, I do realize he got injured by the puck, but the hernia problems love our team

I would be stoked if he got to 40 points, with a couple of GWG.

MichaelPonce

Aug 25, 2014
San Jose
I hate to say it, but I'm just hoping Nieto can play a full season. I really enjoy his play, but I am always concerned about the durability of a speed player. Yes, I do realize he got injured by the puck, but the hernia problems love our team

I would be stoked if he got to 40 points, with a couple of GWG.

Was going to put up 40 points, but I took an arrow...errr... Puck to the knee. Lol

Seriously though, we can't have players like SharkNieto (that's his new nickname and I am sticking to it) pulling a Havlat or catching whatever form of AIDS Adam Burish has that causes him to miss entire seasons at a time. Keep that injury bug the heeeeeeeyull away from us. It's bad enough with Torres being out for a lifetime and Hertl reportedly still dinged up.

Hopefully my decision to add six goals and 10 assists (or the equivalent) to his 2013-14 stats isn't too much of a stretch.

MichaelPonce

Aug 25, 2014
San Jose
Also, someone should improve upon my ghetto iPad photo editing skills and run with this one...

image.jpg

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
yea, also depends on his line mates and how the team does overall.
Part of his time last season was lower lines. With Torres injured and Burns back to defense, I figure that Nieto remains top 6 all year. Should be good for his point totals. As said above with Marleau and Couture, it should be heavy on the assists. My rough guess would be 45 points on a healthy season.

He isn't Wingels and doesn't play that role which is a low point total role. Nieto is fast but he isn't an F1. He seemed to play more of an F2 role at the end of the season. Same role that P. Kane has (obviously Kane is light years ahead of Nieto), fast F2.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think he's better suited to shoot the puck. Of course he won't get much of a chance on a line with Marleau and Couture so he has to facilitate since they are usually tops on the Sharks in SOG and SA.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Nieto can and should go 20+/25+:D. Playing with Patty/Logan and building on the chemistry from last year I feel makes it a realistic number. I would speculate Nieto even gets some 2nd PP time as well. That line will put up good numbers(90g/110a.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope he doesn't have a sophomore slump. Really enjoyed watching his game develop last season and I can see him break the 50 point mark, maybe even have 15 or more goals, stuff like that. My main thing right now is wanting to see Nieto and Hertl have full healthy seasons.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Considering the way he played at BU, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season off slow and we'll all freak out.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
If he stays healthy and in the top 6 I definitely see 30+.
Too many unknowns to guess on any other potentialities.
Glad that he's in teal though!!

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
I'm expecting 10-15g, IF he stays healthy throughout duration of season. He will definitely have to play as an F2 though, since he's got 2 30-goal scorers on his line. I predict somewhere between 35-45pts.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
We know that DW is going to be using this next season to evaluate his young talent, so what can we expect to see from Nieto?

I think you haven't been here enough to express that many on here believe that reasonable hypothesis. I think most believe DW has somehow already evaluated and made decisions regarding young talent.

The minor consensus seems to be as always regarding young talent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUwQIn3GrU

MichaelPonce

Aug 25, 2014
San Jose
I think you haven't been here enough to express that many on here believe that reasonable hypothesis. I think most believe DW has somehow already evaluated and made decisions regarding young talent.

The minor consensus seems to be as always regarding young talent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUwQIn3GrU

I am not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. Would you mind rewording that, because your syntax kinda confused me a bit. No offense.

What I was alluding to was how DW has openly expressed a desire to move away from the "older core players" in favor of allowing his younger ones to take on more leadership. They let boyle go, moved Stuart, have created speculation as to whether or not Jumbo and patty will be here for long, etc. if that weren't the case, they likely would have targeted veteran free agents (you know, ones more valuable than Scott).

As such, it's reasonable to assume that he is expecting the younger players to be taking on heavier roles -- which would suggest that the culture of the team is shifting to a "younger core."

Because there is no true sample size for how these players would handle increased leadership (most of these players in the "younger core" -- save for Cooch, pavs and MEV -- have fewer than three years of exp at the NHL level), it is safe to say that this season will be used to evaluate how these younger players handle that kind of consistent playing time and responsibility. Players like Hertl, Nieto, Wingels, Braun, Stalock and rookie prospects (presumably Mueller, Tennyson, Hamilton and/or Goldobin if any crack the roster) will be under the microscope.

So, my question is: In this transitional period for the franchise, how will Nieto produce with higher expectations and more opportunity?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The more I think about the more I want the top lines to be:
Marleau-cooch-pavs
Hertl-Thornton-nieto

I think nieto would do better statistically if he can be a shooter and would be more so playing with Thornton, than with cooch/Marleau. Also I think that top line would get the big hard minutes and allow Thornton to control play with offensive zone starts, while lightly sheltering nieto and hertl in their sophomore seasons.

Each line has some speed, shooting and playmaking going on, and that top line defensively should be able to shut any other top line down while probably coming out on top with possession a lot of the time.

As for nieto, I personally expect 40+ points, or he better not be in the top 6 all year, and I'm generally confident he can hit that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad