WC: What can the IIHF do to fix the World Championships of Hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
*EDIT* Title should be "What can the IIHF do"...

This is a thread where I'd like some serious discussion on what could be done, by the IIHF, to make the WHC more meaningful as a tournament. As everyone knows, the overwhelming majority of North Americans couldn't care any less about the World Championships, which is in stark contrast to Europeans who obviously look at it as a more important tournament than we do here.

What would be your suggestions to improve the significance of the tournament for not only North Americans, but people around the world.

Would you Suggest to have the tournament after the Stanley Cup? Or would players then think it's to close to the beginning of the next NHL season?

Would you suggest to have the tournament just before the regular season? Players could use it as a warmup for the NHL (Or their Home country's) hockey season... or would players not play in the WC's because of fear of being injured before they play for their home club that pays their salary.

Would you suggest we change the tournament to being once every 4 years so that every 2 years we had a major tournament?

Would you suggest perhaps persuading the NHL to have a break in the season for 2 weeks?

Last edited:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
This is a thread where I'd like some serious discussion on what could be done, by the IIHF, to make the WHC more meaningful as a tournament. As everyone knows, the overwhelming majority of North Americans couldn't care any less about the World Championships, which is in stark contrast to Europeans who obviously look at it as a more important tournament than we do here.

What would be your suggestions to improve the significance of the tournament for not only North Americans, but people around the world.

Would you Suggest to have the tournament after the Stanley Cup? Or would players then think it's to close to the beginning of the next NHL season?

Would you suggest to have the tournament just before the regular season? Players could use it as a warmup for the NHL (Or their Home country's) hockey season... or would players not play in the WC's because of fear of being injured before they play for their home club that pays their salary.

Would you suggest we change the tournament to being once every 4 years so that every 2 years we had a major tournament?

Would you suggest perhaps persuading the NHL to have a break in the season for 2 weeks?

Have a break during the playoffs ? ... hell to the no

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Have a break during the playoffs ? ... hell to the no

Obviously it wouldn't be during the playoffs. It would likely be a break around the same time as the Olympics usually are.... Mid February.

This option I believe is the LEAST likely to occur IMO.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Obviously it wouldn't be during the playoffs. It would likely be a break around the same time as the Olympics usually are.... Mid February.

This option I believe is the LEAST likely to occur IMO.

I'd much rather have it before the season ... but maybe that's just me ... so no hockey journalist can be butt hurt when a player decides to sit it out because he just finished an 82 NHL Game season + playoffs

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Move the tournament to after the NHL regular season- IMO it´s not only the NHL players in the Worlds and the season for most European leagues finishes in March/April, which would leave some of the smaller teams with over 80% of their players 2-3 months without any serious hockey, and European fans won´t be interested into hockey much in June/Jule, come on it´s summer holidays, just doesn´t go together with hockey
Move the tournament before the NHL regular season- Similar as No. 1, but it leaves you with 100% players who have not played serious hockey for months and therefore a lower level of hockey and again hockey in August
Have a WC every 4 yeats- I´m sure you don´t want to kill the development of the sport, not only for the smaller elite level nations, but also for all the nations all the way down to Division III
Break during the NHL/other leagues- It´s the best idea of these, but the NHL would never agree to this and IMO they don´t have a reason to, as for other leagues IMO they alread have national teams breaks numerous times during the season when tournaments like EHT or friendlies are played- one is in November, another before Christmas and one in early February

EDIT: I also forgot to say that the European teams are usually already preparing for the new season if it was played before the NHL/after the NHL season.

The NHL could maybe think about dropping some regular season games, the seaosn is too long, but that would mean the loss of money of course, so we´d never see that happen.

Last edited:

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Have the tournament every 4 years, alternating with the Olympics, in February. NHL has a break for 2 weeks. All the revenue goes to the NHL. The catch is, NHL has to participate to the Olympics, too, where they get no revenue.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Have the tournament every 4 years, alternating with the Olympics, in February. NHL has a break for 2 weeks. All the revenue goes to the NHL. The catch is, NHL has to participate to the Olympics, too, where they get no revenue.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

So, how exactly would you convince the European federations to join the tournament? Why should they give a damn? I love how the NA people come out how the WHC is a tourney that makes only and only the Europeans profit , but all they can come up with are absolutely arrogant ideas strongly biased for the NHL when it comes to altmernatives.

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just because YOU don't view it as important, it doesn't mean it isn't.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
I don't think it is broken so there's no need to fix it. An olympic year and it's not as if there has been a steady drop in quality with the WHC. There's no doubt in my mind that next year, the top 7 will have teams that are much better than this year's turnout.

It felt like a real off year before the tournament started but I've actually enjoyed this year as much as any other. It's been fun watching the smaller nations competing and actually have a chance. I've also enjoyed seeing the young Swedish players step up and perform so well.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Stop trying to fix something that has been great for decades. WC is huge in Europe and grows in Canada every year too.
Obviously I can't speak for the country but I'm not so sure how true this is. Personally, I've been getting less and less interested each year. However, I have been a lot more busy in recent years around the time of the tournament, to be fair. I have to admit it would be better if more Canadian players took it more seriously and accepted invitations as well.

My suggestion would be to push the tournament back so they could give a week or two break after the playoffs are over to all the NHL players, I bet a lot more star players would show up.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Stop trying to fix something that has been great for decades. WC is huge in Europe and grows in Canada every year too.

This was new to me. When Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia have around 3-6 NHL'ers in this tournament year in and year out you can tell it isn't a big deal.

Having the WC every second year would almost double the amount of NHL'ers in the tournament imo.

CanadaRules*

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

So, how exactly would you convince the European federations to join the tournament? Why should they give a damn? I love how the NA people come out how the WHC is a tourney that makes only and only the Europeans profit , but all they can come up with are absolutely arrogant ideas strongly biased for the NHL when it comes to altmernatives.

Why would we care? The NHL is the best league in the world, and the rest of the european leagues are crap as witnessed by the sh*tshow the KHL players put on for Russia at the Olympics.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Why would we care? The NHL is the best league in the world, and the rest of the european leagues are crap as witnessed by the sh*tshow the KHL players put on for Russia at the Olympics.

I will not answer to this Canadian ignorance for the sake of all normal Canadians.

Please continue making yourself look like an arrogant .....:laugh:

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Based on the number of comments on tsn.ca WC's have been steadily growing in Canada in the last 5 years.

You've been counting the number of comments on tsn.ca for the last 5 years? I'm sorry to tell you that you have wasted your time- those comments mean nothing.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
1. Have it ever 2nd year
2. Pay the players more to play .. $$ talks.. $100K \ player + performance bonus
even the higest paid NHLers would consider this money for a 2 week tourney.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
As I expected, everyone here is comming out with all this have the tourney every 2 years/4 years thing and everything the way the NHL or Canada wants it thing. Noone here seems to give a damn about hockey in countries like Hungary, Slovenia, France etc. Probably when they see Hungary, you ask yourself: Hockey is played in Hungary? Not having the tournament every year isn´t a solution that would be good for hockey outside of Canada/NHL. Yes, hockey is played outside of Canada as well.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
It is a fact that the NHL has an interest in growing the game in Europe (see season operners), therefore it is quite obvious that a participation in the WHC is important for them too, given that it is pretty much the most watched hockey event in Europe outside of the Olympics.
That being said, the tournament will never mean very much to the NA audiences. It could be used as an important marketing tool for the NHL and/or individual organizations.
Just a very raw idea: So you could award the participation to one NHL team each (US and Canada) who doesn't make the playoffs (You will have to allow them to invite guest players from other teams/own draftees/and some other adjustments).
Obviously, they will not likely be contending to win, but can further develop their team and raise some interest both in their home market (consolation price) as well as in Europe. Bring the teams back for the season openers and you'll have a solid following in Europe. Perhaps award them an extra draft pick to raise interest.
Just an idea...

Apart from that, I'd discontinue WHCs in Olympic years. Just replace them with a European Championship that year....

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It is a fact that the NHL has an interest in growing the game in Europe (see season operners), therefore it is quite obvious that a participation in the WHC is important for them too, given that it is pretty much the most watched hockey event in Europe outside of the Olympics.
That being said, the tournament will never mean very much to the NA audiences. It could be used as an important marketing tool for the NHL and/or individual organizations.
Just a very raw idea: So you could award the participation to one NHL team each (US and Canada) who doesn't make the playoffs (You will have to allow them to invite guest players from other teams/own draftees/and some other adjustments).
Obviously, they will not likely be contending to win, but can further develop their team and raise some interest both in their home market (consolation price) as well as in Europe. Bring the teams back for the season openers and you'll have a solid following in Europe. Perhaps award them an extra draft pick to raise interest.
Just an idea...

Apart from that, I'd discontinue WHCs in Olympic years. Just replace them with a European Championship that year....

If you say that there never will be interest in the WHC in NA, there is no reason to do this.

It is not Hockey Canada, who has a problem with the tournament, just anonymous hockey fans on the internet. Hockey Canada has no reason not to send a team to the WHC, because it has become a glorious tool for them in developing their national team for the next Olympics, seeing which of the kids are prepared for the challenge and giving an opportunity to prove themselves to the less heralded players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think there's anything wrong with the tourney per se. I wouldn't mind seeing it start after the NHL playoffs, but that's a selfish American talking.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
If you say that there never will be interest in the WHC in NA, there is no reason to do this.

It is not Hockey Canada, who has a problem with the tournament, just anonymous hockey fans on the internet. Hockey Canada has no reason not to send a team to the WHC, because it has become a glorious tool for them in developing their national team for the next Olympics, seeing which of the kids are prepared for the challenge and giving an opportunity to prove themselves to the less heralded players.

I am aware that it is not Hockey Canada, but the NHL and large parts of the hockey community that show their apathy. For the sake of global hockey development a consensual cooperation between NHL and IIHF is essential from my POV. Hockey Canada can benefit as well from synergies with NHL organizations...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I am aware that it is not Hockey Canada, but the NHL and large parts of the hockey community that show their apathy. For the sake of global hockey development a consensual cooperation between NHL and IIHF is essential from my POV. Hockey Canada can benefit as well from synergies with NHL organizations...

In an ideal world.....;)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Would it be the worst idea in the world if the US and Canada didn't send teams to the World Championships?

I'm not sure that it would be such a bad idea if this became a European invitational. European countries, federations and fans care most passionately about the tournament; the IIHF relies on it to generate revenues each year in Europe; and all North Americans do on a regular basis is put the tournament down, demeaning it by sending B and C and D teams to compete. Today's contest did nothing other than to say that the top Russian players, embarrassed in Vancouver, wanted to make up for their lack of success; while top Canadian players, following a long NHL season and victory in Vancouver, passed in record numbers. That is, players who are not still playing NHL hockey, passed in record numbers.

As it is, it's a tournament intended to bolster the IIHF's fortunes in Europe, spread the game to rising European hockey countries. The governing authority can't be bothered to delay the tourney two to three weeks to integrate the best players in the world who are still playing hockey during the NHL season, in a league that is international to a great extent, but which predominantly comprises players born in Canada or the US (76 percent North American, as of January 2010. Source).

We all recognize the reality that North American players and fans don't think much of the WHCs, and we all know that the IIHF doesn't think enough of the two North American nations to delay the tourney long enough to finish the NHL, AHL or even CHL seasons to allow the two countries to send their best players. Make it official: This tournament is about European teams and European fans, and always has been about Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad