What are your pet peeves when going to NHL games or fellow fans

Aspie with attitude

May 9, 2013
Before I begin I want to make it clear this is not to slam any particular team or fan base.
Here is my list:

At the game:
1. Traffic going to or leaving the game. I can't help but be annoyed when sitting for an hour waiting to get out of downtown after the game. Tampa and Columbus in that regard is terrible
2. Fans that get drunk and act stupid during the game (I know its worse at a NFL football game). Example took my niece this year to her first NHL game at Amile Arena in Tampa. I am a Lightning fan myself so I'm not trying to slam their fans (my home state team) but I had this guy behind us yelling every curse word and insult that would make even a seasoned sailor blush. Needles to say he also had one too many beers. Towards the end of the game his gf/wife had to help him out the arena he was that intoxicated. I liked it when he called me a "Blue :censored: Fan" (I was wearing my CBJ jersey instead of TBL).
3. Fans that are know-it-alls. Fans that sit next to you and think they know more about hockey than you, Al Michaels, and even God himself. They go on and on about hockey is this or this team is that. I love talking about hockey but I don't act like an ass about it.
4. People that complain about prices at the game or charge to high. If you think its expensive going to a NHL game try going to a NFL football game. Also don't want pay high prices for food eat before and after the game. Tampa and Columbus for example have great restaurants near the arena (if you are ever in Tampa for a Lightning game Channelside has the best pizza place in Florida)

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I agree with number 3. I was once at random Canucks game and when the Canucks were on the power play, they were passing a lot, rather then shooting. These teenagers kept on saying, should have shot then, too much passing, this power play sucks. Oh, should have shot again. Canucks don't know how to run a power play, they won' score, etc. They were saying this the entire power play and low and behold, the Canucks end up scoring on the power play.

Also, I think this is for every fan base(but notorious in Vancouver) but fans who leave early if the team is losing by a goal. It could be in the final minute or with 5 minutes, the fans have no faith so they leave early to beat the traffic. Kind of understand if you live far or have young kids. Not hockey but I remember when a lot of the Seahawks fans left last year in the playoffs(Packers game?) but when the Seahawks came back, they tried to come back but were denied entry.

Also, in Vancouver, a lot of the lower bowl fans aren't true fans. It's a lot of business people getting free tickets from work, etc. Back in the day it was loud but the last couple of years, it's been silent. Not sure about recently.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Football fans who come to their third hockey game and do play-by-play and color analysis through the WHOLE... DAMN... GAME. Worse yet, they mispronounce players names and act like they know everything about hockey.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Only pet peeve is the cupholders at Nationwide being in the armrests (not good for fat people like me). There's probably a bunch of annoying people around me (when there are people around me, the games I make it to are often sparsely attended), but I'm so caught up in the game (don't make as many NHL games as I do other major leagues due to the travel involved) that I tend not to notice them.

Now, AHL game pet peeves, oh, that could be a laundry list.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1. Clowns who stand up continually for no good reason.

2. Clowns who yell "shoot" constantly.

3. Clowns who act ridiculously overenthusiastic who couldn't name 5 players on the home team.

4. Clowns.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
The shoot one is mine. I'm known to say it myself, but I feel it's ok because I understand the game better than the people sitting around me...
And sometimes they really do need to shoot it.

Also people who clap when the CBJ ice it.

hip check

Go North.
Jan 21, 2010
1. People who are constantly on their phones. I know I didn't buy their ticket, but seriously - watch the game.
2. People who wear clothes from other teams/sports. I'm sure some here even do this, but I hate to see Buckeye jerseys at a Jackets game. Its like saying "Yeah I'll go to an NHL game, but I want everyone to know I'd rather be supporting Ohio State instead."
3. Playing Chelsea Dagger at Nationwide when Chicago scores.

Aspie with attitude

May 9, 2013
Only pet peeve is the cupholders at Nationwide being in the armrests (not good for fat people like me). There's probably a bunch of annoying people around me (when there are people around me, the games I make it to are often sparsely attended), but I'm so caught up in the game (don't make as many NHL games as I do other major leagues due to the travel involved) that I tend not to notice them.

Now, AHL game pet peeves, oh, that could be a laundry list.

I'm usually the same I normally tuned out what fans in my section are doing but when I have my niece with me. I wonder why can't both the Lightning and Blue Jackets have "family sections" where certain sections you can't have alcohol or use profanity.
They do that with the Jaguars in Jacksonville.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
People who commentate the game from the stands. I don't mind the occasional comment, but the constant play by play gets old very fast with me. There is some guy in 108 bout 2/3 up from the ice that is freaking annoying.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Fans who get up out of their seats while play is going on. Seriously, there are enough whistles in a hockey game that you can wait a minute or two before you grab your next beer or take a potty break.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
1. Clowns who stand up continually for no good reason.

2. Clowns who yell "shoot" constantly.

3. Clowns who act ridiculously overenthusiastic who couldn't name 5 players on the home team.

4. Clowns.

gimme a break...

1392689194-0.jpg

clowns are better than these morons...

d46405563a817c7c1a8f42e4eeb8e223.jpg

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
1. People who are constantly on their phones. I know I didn't buy their ticket, but seriously - watch the game.
2. People who wear clothes from other teams/sports. I'm sure some here even do this, but I hate to see Buckeye jerseys at a Jackets game. Its like saying "Yeah I'll go to an NHL game, but I want everyone to know I'd rather be supporting Ohio State instead."
3. Playing Chelsea Dagger at Nationwide when Chicago scores.

I get a feeling 2 as a pet peeve is a Columbus thing due to the large number of pro sports fans who hate OSU and OSU fans who hate pro sports (not saying there isn't overlap, but I sense that the non-overlapping portions of the sports fan base in C-Bus are often pretty antagonistic). Occasionally, I'll see the "don't wear other local teams' stuff to a game" mentality in other cities, but it's usually either team employees trying to get people to buy merchandise at the team store or Clevelanders complaining about people wearing Indians gear (not a very popular team up here, seriously, they may be more popular in C-Bus).

By the way, I used to have to wear other teams' stuff because last year was the first season in a while I could find Jackets stuff that fit me (again, I am in shape, round is a shape).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Fans who get up out of their seats while play is going on. Seriously, there are enough whistles in a hockey game that you can wait a minute or two before you grab your next beer or take a potty break.

I have a funny story about this, but it's from a Monsters game so it's not apropos to an NHL thread.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I get a feeling 2 as a pet peeve is a Columbus thing due to the large number of pro sports fans who hate OSU and OSU fans who hate pro sports (not saying there isn't overlap, but I sense that the non-overlapping portions of the sports fan base in C-Bus are often pretty antagonistic). Occasionally, I'll see the "don't wear other local teams' stuff to a game" mentality in other cities, but it's usually either team employees trying to get people to buy merchandise at the team store or Clevelanders complaining about people wearing Indians gear (not a very popular team up here, seriously, they may be more popular in C-Bus).

By the way, I used to have to wear other teams' stuff because last year was the first season in a while I could find Jackets stuff that fit me (again, I am in shape, round is a shape).

that doesn't bother me. If people are buying ticks and coming to root for the CBJ, they can wear Buckeye crap or whatever. I don't even mind, long time hockey fans, that insist on wearing the team sweater we are playing if its the team the grew up rooting for. If you are a 50 year old season ticket holder that wears an Islanders sweater to that game at the Nat because you grew up rooting for them, good on you.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I used to be somebody's pet peeve.

Background:
Used to have seats like 10-11 in a section. My buddy and I would get something to eat before the game, and enter on the high-seat-number end of the section because it was closest to the food. It was also closest to the men's room, so we'd exit after a period the same way, since we were basically in the middle of the row. We would also often assess which direction in our row had fewer people to decide which way to exit after a period.

So then:
One night, this guy, who apparently had been sitting next to us for many games (I used to have seats in two different sections, and often we didn't sit next to the same people game after game), accuses me of opting to exit the row past him on purpose, just to be dicks and make him have to stand. "Yeah right, you know it" I replied - thinking he's joking. Nope. He informs us he scouted the seating and chose his seats right in the middle of the section so he wouldn't have to get up and down. (Keep in mind we never exited or entered during play.) He not only accuses me of having a seat vendetta against him, but of being an *******. I tell him "You don't know me." But at that point, he apparently had said his peace and was not interested in hearing what I had to say. Then he pulls out how I've a frequent user of untoward language, and had done so at games where he's brought his daughter. Now, I've been known to use a few choice words, but am always cognizant of those around me, and have been bringing my own daughter to games for years. I tell the guy sorry, I totally understand that concern but, he's shut down and simply calls me an ******* again, (his concern for foul language apparently lapsed).

I've shared this story on here before but thanks for allowing me to vent again. And if one of you happens to be that guy, you are the biggest d-bag I've ever encountered.

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
1. Fans that yell "shoot" every damn minute of the game.

2. The guy behind me in 227 that kept yelling at JMFJ for being out of position, even though he was never out of position.

3. People bringing along friends that have never even watched hockey, therefore making them break down every single little detail and acting like they know everything about the game.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
The guy behind me that kept going on and on about how grand and patriotic the Boston Bruins were. Oh wait, that was when when my seats were in front of the press box and that was just Jack Edwards blathering on so loudly I had to listen to everything he said.

Glass bangers

Shoot yellers

Wedding proposers (though there was a guy at a Lake Erie Monsters game who got so nervous that he dropped the ring, and the cheer squad spent the next 10 minutes searching under seats trying to find it, that was at least slightly entertaining)

That guy a couple years ago in an Ohio State shirt declaring saying "Well maybe next year" after the Jackets lost the home opener.

The 2 hour drive for me to and from the arena.

The fact that I have to pay full price for a 3 year old that'll just sit on my lap and fall asleep 5 minutes into the 2nd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad