What are your most hearbreaking losses by Canada in the WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What are the most heartbreaking losses Canada had that hurt you the most at the WJC?

In no order here come some to mind:

1987 - Imagine beating your arch-rival enemies the Russians by two goals and being that close to the Gold Medal when a bench clearing brawl erupts. Let's face it Russia was out of contention that year and they were the first ones to clear their bench for whatever reason. Bert Templeton coaching the Canadian team that year had no choice but to empty his bench. heartbreaking since Canada lost in '86 to the Russians as well. Canada ends up being disqualified as well as Russia.

1999 - Canada was playing so well and Luongo looked like a man posessed. But they were playing one of the best Russian teams ever. I was so pumped when Bryan Allen tied the game with 6 minutes left. What a weak shot that was though. And Luongo made a beauty save off the faceoff with 30 seconds left in regulation. Russia took the play in OT and won in OT. I felt sorry for Luongo, he deserved it more than anyone. This was the start of Canada's unability to beat Russia which continued until 2005.

2002 - This one hurt badly too. Look at that roster Canada had. Spezza, Weiss, Nash, Bouwmeester, Hamhuis, Upshall, Kobasew, Boyes, Cammaleri, Stoll, Leclaire in net. Almost every player has played or plays in the NHL on that team, its amazing. But somehow a Russian team with Medvedev in net beats us. Here the killer he gets pulled in that game too. Canada had 2-0 and 3-1 leads. But Russia wins 5-4. How many goals went through Leclaires legs in that game like 4? I'm still mad about how the Russian backup goalie knocked the net off with about 2 or 3 seconds left. Its funny cause before he celebrates after the buzzer he looks over at the ref first as if to see if he's getting a penalty shot against him. That realy irks me.

2003 - Much like 1999 in Winnipeg I was hoping they would win this one for the fans in Halifax. Canada played perfect. The game against Finland pitted MA Fleury against Lehtonen. Fleury schooled him. But Canada ran into a very good Russian team, Ovechkin, Zherdev, Perezogin, Grigorenko, Polushin, Trubachev, and Fleury's two third period goals he allowed gave them a 3-2 win.

2004 - This loss to the USA in the gold medal game shouldnt all be pinned on Fleury. Yes he had shabby goaltending in that game, but Canada built a 3-1 lead going into the third and in the start of the third Ryan Getzlaf had a for sure goal and so did Crosby going in on a two on one. But neither one scored. Then the USA gets two and ties it and then Fleury banks the puck off Coburn and in. It made you wonder if we werent cursed at this tourny. What bugs me about this one is that in 2005 we never got to play the USA at all. It would have been sweet revenge. I mean no one and I mean no one in the History of the WJC team would ever have beaten the 2005 Canadian WOrld Junior team.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Does anyone have tape of that 1987 Russia/Canada game? I would love to see it!

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Obviously the hilarious 2004 team, when your goalie scored on himself! HA HA HA HA! (let's see if I get another s***** warning about THIS!)

All kidding aside, the US vs. Canada in 2004 was a great game against the 2 best teams in the tournament. I was actually in Canada watching that game, and got some strange looks when my wife and I started cheering after the Fleury debacle! I just said "It's my 40th birthday" (which it actually was!), and the Canucks left me alone. Not only that, they bought us a couple of beers!

I think if the US and Canada would have played in 2005 (in my hometown), it would have been a good game. Canada probably would have won, but who can say? That's why they play the games! The Canucks could have choked again, who's to say? OR they may have won 5-2. We'll never know. All I can say is it was a very fun tourney to attend, and it was a joy to see such future stars as Crosby, Suter, Ovekchin, Phneuf (sp?), Kessel, Stafford, etc.

BIg Phil, get over your "heartbreaking" losses in the WJC, already! It isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things!

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Probably in 2002 just because that team was so damn good, and then there was the whole net controversy at the end.

In 2004 it was really just damn frustrating because we had that game won and we literally lost it for ourselves.

Rather Gingerly 1*

The one in Halifax of course. I was at that tournament.

What ever happen to Tootoo? That was the highlight of his career

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Probably 1987, but unlike most Canadian hockey fans, I think Canada was also to blame for the incident and the IIHF had no other choice but to disqualify them. That was a disgrace.

Yes, Canada was goaded into the fight. Russia, already out of medal contention had nothing to lose. Canada was all but assured a Silver with their existing 4-2 lead over Russia and a good chance to win the Gold if they could win by, I believe, 1 more goal. In the 3rd, an incident between Pavel Kostichkin and Theoren Fleury erupted and the Russians were all too anxious to empty their bench and swarm the Canadian players who were on the ice. Canada had no choice but to send the bench. At times, there were 2 or 3 opposing players on 1 with some of the Russian players kicking.

CBC's Brian Williams made it seem like it was Canada's idea. He sh*t all over the Canadian players, calling it a "black mark" for Canadian hockey. They went to a commercial, and Williams, who obviously didn't understand the situation, was threatened by Cherry, that if he crapped on the kids again, Cherry was going to physically straighten him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad