What are your favourite hockey books?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The Game - Dryden might be the most boring interview you'll ever see but the man can write a good hockey book and he did as we all know, even 25 years later people still love this book

When the Lights went out - This basically is about the brawl in the WJC in '87 between Canada and Russia. It's been out for a couple of years now, but I just read it recently and loved it! If there was a book that could make Pierre Turgeon look worse this is it

Gretzky to Lemieux the story of the 1987 Canada Cup - Just recently read it as well. Funny how they go in depth about the players on Team Canada and Russia as well. They don't hold back. I like how they talk about the Canadian players always having "meetings" at a Montreal strip club. Good read.

Lets Talk Hockey: 50 Wonderful debates - Kind of what the title reads, fairly new as well saw it on amazon. 50 different debates in the history of hockey are thoroughly discussed here with the author backing up everything he says. From the Bertuzzi/Moore incident to the Miracle on Ice, to the '72 Series and pretty much everything anyone has ever had a baroom debate about. Favourite chapter? "To fight or not to fight". Most controversial one? Cutting up guys that shouldnt be in the Hall of Fame

The Sweater - Yeah I know, maybe a kids book, but who cares. It takes you back to life in Montreal in the '40s.

Thunder and Lightning - Phil Esposito's autobiography. We all know Phil, he holds no punches and does the exact same in his book. How many friends he lost writing this book we'll never know. The best was when he's talking about a former teammate who cheated on his wife but won't mention his name because he's "still married to the same woman". You know, a curious wife just has to do a little bit of digging to find that out. How many former Bruins/Rangers players from the '70s would still be married to the same woman? I found that a little humorous

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad