Speculation: What are your expectations for this coming season?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
maybe that's a good thing. seems like everytime the whole world lines up and says how great we are and that ya might as well hand us the cup now we implode.

pens play a lot better if they are not expected to win and have to prove it.

I certainly think that we will be by far the most talented team to ever enter the playoffs as disrespected as we will be. By the opposing team, coach, fans, even our own fans. Teams will be wishing to play the Pens and will think of us as the Washington Generals against the Harlem Globetrotters. Maybe that is an advantage we can exploit.

'Hey Guys, our coach is a moron, we all know that. You all can go out and get drunk before the games against us. Why play sober? Have fun, you know it will be easy and you know that you want to. Why not see if you can dress a minor league goalie and a few minor league defensemen against us and still win. A real team would do it.'

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Unless Fleury gets upgraded this team is at best a 2nd round team.
If Vokoun cannot return and be himself they are in big big trouble.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
My expectations:

Excitin' EN AICH EL action!

Do you guys just ever feel like a sort of pure, naive love for hockey as a game and a spectacle? I do. I hope it never goes away.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
People are still ******** on Dupuis being in the top 6? Sheesh. I don't agree with Bylsma's lines, but I'm perfectly fine with Dupuis on a line with Crosby. If it were up to me, the top 6 would be like this:

Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
People are still ******** on Dupuis being in the top 6? Sheesh. I don't agree with Bylsma's lines, but I'm perfectly fine with Dupuis on a line with Crosby. If it were up to me, the top 6 would be like this:

Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

+1
I can get behind the idea of this top 6.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
My expectations:

Excitin' EN AICH EL action!

Do you guys just ever feel like a sort of pure, naive love for hockey as a game and a spectacle? I do. I hope it never goes away.
For hockey? Yes...

For the NHL? I love watching but they can really screw off after a 3rd lockout during my lifetime. What pro league does that 3 times in 20 years? As a fan what good did I see come of it? There are still $120 upper bowl seats and we have to pay $15 for water and a hot dog.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not a big fan of Dupuis in the top six in the playoffs.

When theres tighter checking, he doesn't have the smarts for a top six role. The wheels? Maybe, but not the smarts.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

When theres tighter checking, he doesn't have the smarts for a top six role. The wheels? Maybe, but not the smarts.

Based off what happened against Boston?

In that case Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, and Iginla didn't have the smarts for a top 6 role in the playoffs either.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Based off what happened against Boston?

In that case Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, and Iginla didn't have the smarts for a top 6 role in the playoffs either.

Those guys ALL have more natural offensive ability than Dupuis, and you need all the natural talent available when up against a defensive juggernaut in the playoffs.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Those guys ALL have more natural offensive ability than Dupuis, and you need all the natural talent available when up against a defensive juggernaut in the playoffs.

Dupuis wasn't any worse than Kunitz or Iginla in the playoffs last year, so I don't follow where you are coming from. And when you're facing a defensive juggernaut, it usually helps when your top-two centers don't try to stick-handle through four skaters on the other team.

I'm getting the sense some people just can't get over Dupuis not registering any points in the 2009 playoffs.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

If this is a reference to generating offense in the playoffs, smarts isn't what does that most of the time. Anymore, it's just a percentage game. Cross line>throw puck at goalie's feet>drive to the net hoping for tip or rebound or get traffic>shoot through traffic. Playoff scoring at even strength has evolved into a dice roll.

I don't see Crosby's lack of production against Boston as a result of Dupuis not being smart enough. I see it as a stylistic thing where skill players good enough to be singled out get nullified against good enough defensive teams, dedicated enough to do it.

He's not alone in this either. Toews didn't do jack in the last two rounds, Giroux couldn't cross any line without turning the puck over against Jersey, etc etc.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
If this is a reference to generating offense in the playoffs, smarts isn't what does that most of the time. Anymore, it's just a percentage game. Cross line>throw puck at goalie's feet>drive to the net hoping for tip or rebound or get traffic>shoot through traffic. Playoff scoring at even strength has evolved into a dice roll.

I don't see Crosby's lack of production against Boston as a result of Dupuis not being smart enough. I see it as a stylistic thing where skill players good enough to be singled out get nullified against good enough defensive teams, dedicated enough to do it.

He's not alone in this either. Toews didn't do jack in the last two rounds, Giroux couldn't cross any line without turning the puck over against Jersey, etc etc.
Crosby and his lines' failure to produce in the ECF was all on Sid. I understand that he felt it was affecting his vision, but he wasn't the same player when he took the shield off of his jaw. Boston went after his face from the get go )would you expect anything else in the ECF) and he was timid.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It isn't so much Dupuis being the problem, as it is DB refusing to break that line up when they are being stifled. I've brought this up a number of times as the biggest detriment to Crosby come playoff time.

It's as if DB thinks if they keep playing together they will somehow breakthrough eventually, but it has yet to really happen since this line has been together.

Whether KCD are in the locker room begging to stay together for political or legit reasons, it's on DB to make that change when his stars are struggling so badly.

Towes had an absolute meltdown in game four agt Detroit and was SO three games in a row. JQ had seen enough and put him with Sharp and Kane. He made some big plays after that and re-gained his focus. He wasn't dominant, but he did put up about a dozen points in the next 13 or 14 games, including making some huge plays for his team when they needed it.

Most importantly he was no longer a frustrated, undisciplined turnover machine who was taking stupid penalties. He became their leader again and that was a huge turning point.

Without that move I truly believe Detroit wins that series by game six and the Hawks wouldn't have celebrated their second cup in four years.

Ya I believe Crosby needs to be better when he is facing suffocating checking, but his coach is doing absolutely nothing to help him out of his funks. In fact, DB just makes it easier on these teams to shut down his stars with his stubborn decisions. We all know what is said about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It isn't so much Dupuis being the problem, as it is DB refusing to break that line up when they are being stifled. I've brought this up a number of times as the biggest detriment to Crosby come playoff time.

It's as if DB thinks if they keep playing together they will somehow breakthrough eventually, but it has yet to really happen since this line has been together.

Whether KCD are in the locker room begging to stay together for political or legit reasons, it's on DB to make that change when his stars are struggling so badly.

Towes had an absolute meltdown in game four agt Detroit and was SO three games in a row. JQ had seen enough and put him with Sharp and Kane. He made some big plays after that and re-gained his focus. He wasn't dominant, but he did put up about a dozen points in the next 13 or 14 games, including making some huge plays for his team when they needed it.

Most importantly he was no longer a frustrated, undisciplined turnover machine who was taking stupid penalties. He became their leader again and that was a huge turning point.

Without that move I truly believe Detroit wins that series by game six and the Hawks wouldn't have celebrated their second cup in four years.

Ya I believe Crosby needs to be better when he is facing suffocating checking, but his coach is doing absolutely nothing to help him out of his funks. In fact, DB just makes it easier on these teams to shut down his stars with his stubborn decisions. We all know what is said about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

There's no question Bylsma is stubborn in the face of failure. He's the guy who thinks the best way to get something heavy somewhere high is to just push harder with your legs instead of using a pulley and a rope, even if he has both pulleys and ropes at his disposal.

But skill being extremely stifled in the playoffs at even strength against good enough defensive teams...I think that's just the way it is now, assuming the stifling team has the personnel and the discipline to do it.

Juggling the lines a bit to change the composition and show a different look can't hurt, but against a team that played the way Boston did...to me, without rule changes and probably equipment changes, it's not going to be as effective going forward as the boring, ugly, Kings/Blues special of "throw it into traffic, go to the net and see what happens."

That is, unless your entire team can completely outskate them and win every battle, like the Penguins did to Grand Rapids on Wednesday. Or unless you manage to get out to an early lead in every game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's no question Bylsma is stubborn in the face of failure. He's the guy who thinks the best way to get something heavy somewhere high is to just push harder with your legs instead of using a pulley and a rope, even if he has both pulleys and ropes at his disposal.

But skill being extremely stifled in the playoffs at even strength against good enough defensive teams...I think that's just the way it is now, assuming the stifling team has the personnel and the discipline to do it.

Juggling the lines a bit to change the composition and show a different look can't hurt, but against a team that played the way Boston did...to me, without rule changes and probably equipment changes, it's not going to be as effective going forward as the boring, ugly, Kings/Blues special of "throw it into traffic, go to the net and see what happens."

That is, unless your entire team can completely outskate them and win every battle, like the Penguins did to Grand Rapids on Wednesday. Or unless you manage to get out to an early lead in every game.

There is no doubt it's harder than ever on star players to be consistently productive come playoff time against the elite defensive factories built to stop them. The defensive acumen of the league has been slanting this way for the last 18-19 yrs.

However, stars can and still do make a huge difference. The Wings were playing flawless defensive hockey in games 2-4. They looked every bit as stifling as Boston did agt the Pens, which is why Towes blew a gasket like I'd never seen him do. The obstruction and BS he was dealing with was ridiculous, but as you said that is how the league is now come playoff time.

Switching lines isn't an end all solution that is fool proof, but JQ had the presence of mind to realize his ship was going under unless he made a change to help Towes get back on track. Whereas DB figured he would let Crosby keep ramming his head agt a wall hoping the wall would finally break first.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
There is no doubt it's harder than ever on star players to be consistently productive come playoff time against the elite defensive factories built to stop them. The defensive acumen of the league has been slanting this way for the last 18-19 yrs.

However, stars can and still do make a huge difference. The Wings were playing flawless defensive hockey in games 2-4. They looked every bit as stifling as Boston did agt the Pens, which is why Towes blew a gasket like I'd never seen him do. The obstruction and BS he was dealing with was ridiculous, but as you said that is how the league is now come playoff time.

Switching lines isn't an end all solution that is fool proof, but JQ had the presence of mind to realize his ship was going under unless he made a change to help Towes get back on track. Whereas DB figured he would let Crosby keep ramming his head agt a wall hoping the wall would finally break first.

It really was BS what the referees let the Red Wings get away with against Toews. Specifically Zetterberg. He would just come off the bench and follow Toews around slashing and hooking him for 40 seconds, whether the puck was there or not.

ETA: Not to mention, they'd cut to intermission and the clowns at NBC would be complaining about Datsyuk getting a (rare) interference call for drilling Toews 60 feet away from the play.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The thing about CHI is that their non-stars could pick up the slack when they needed to. Just look at game one of the SCF. CHI wins 4-3 and Kane, Toews and Sharp go pointless.

If Sid and Geno go pointless, the Pens have almost no chance of beating a quality team in the POs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It really was BS what the referees let the Red Wings get away with against Toews. Specifically Zetterberg. He would just come off the bench and follow Toews around slashing and hooking him for 40 seconds, whether the puck was there or not.

ETA: Not to mention, they'd cut to intermission and the clowns at NBC would be complaining about Datsyuk getting a (rare) interference call for drilling Toews 60 feet away from the play.

Ya it was brutal as sin, but the Hawks winning was a huge positive for the Pens and Pens fans. The Hawks showed the league you don't need a bruising lineup that plays a boring, suffocating style. After pushing through the BS Det was getting away with, they took out the two stingiest teams in the league IMHO (LA and Bos).

The irony is they killed LA with the stretch pass, then abused Chara with their speed and skill (he was on for something crazy like 10 of the Hawks last 13 goals). The Hawks skill wore Chara down and the last time I saw him look that bad and clueless was agt Buf in the playoffs yrs back.

If Kane wasn't so douchey, I'd be an even bigger Hawks fan because they won with skill and discipline. They were entertaining and resilient, like real champions should be in this sport.

The thing about CHI is that their non-stars could pick up the slack when they needed to. Just look at game one of the SCF. CHI wins 4-3 and Kane, Toews and Sharp go pointless.

If Sid and Geno go pointless, the Pens have almost no chance of beating a quality team in the POs.

That's why we should all be rooting for JJ to click with Malkin and Neal and not worry about BB playing there. If JJ takes off on that line it brings the skill, playmaking and finishing touch we have all been hoping to see with Malkin for yrs.

BB is looking like one of the Pens most physical fwds, and his skill and defensive acumen will make the third line dangerous.

This way the Pens can finally roll three legit scoring lines for the first time since '08, really.

The fourth line, if it had Jeffrey, would at least have some skill and grit/speed with Vitale. But ya I know...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad