OT: What are you reading?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Are you a reader? Perhaps you only read in school during the Book It program to snag vouchers for free pizza. Books, comics, magazines or whatever. What is on your reading list, Wings fans? There's a stack of 15 or so books read since COVID-19 broke. The used shops that I normally exchange my books are not taking in trade at this time. Hoping to visit John K. King when I return to Michigan for Christmas.

Currently working on My Turn by Johan Cruyff. Thus far a slightly above average sports auto bio. What I find curious is that his playing career is over less than halfway through the book and there is more pages about trying to obtain a coaching certification than the '74 World Cup in which he was part of a Dutch squad that changed the beautiful game forever and become the heroes of the tournament despite losing the final.

Next in line is Unsung Heroes of Rock 'n' Roll by Nick Tosches and a heavier and darker read with Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Currently re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Garcia-Marquez.
A classic and an enjoyable read by the master of magical realism.

The stories of H.P. Lovecraft, Gogol or Maupassant are often on hand when I want a short read and the poetry of Heine, Yeats, Rilke or Pound I keep at the ready when I have a few quiet minutes to kill.

I take my old first edition Kindle with me practically everywhere.
Great topic, hope this discussion takes off!

Reactions: firestarter

slimnipsu

Dec 12, 2019
E.A Poe, H.P Lovecraft, H.G Wells, Ray Bradbury, Robert Bloch etc. latest book I finished was The Outsider by Stephen King

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
about to begin a reread of the Malazan Book of the Fallen

I finished it up a few years ago, then read some scifi. Right now i'm finishing up the prequel series and I plan to head straight back into the main series afterward.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm reading the Malazan Empire books as well as a few others. I have Lidstrom's book on the TBR list.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Currently reading this thread.

Sorry, saw the opportunity and had to take it. Currently re-reading Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood". Then have a copy of Mott the Hoople to go after that. Kind of surprised at how hard it was to find a copy of Mott at a reasonable price. I know it was only released once and then the band naming themselves after it makes it more sought after but wasn't expecting it to be that hard to find still.

Reactions: Winger98

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Just finished the Game of Thrones series, working on a quick read in Brene Brown’s Daring Greatly, and then I’m back on the hunt.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
A1N7uGVh4-L.jpg

Winter is when I read the denser stuff. I like the lighter fare in summer. This guy scours old literary magazines (1880s-present) and curates collections around a theme (adventure, pulp, zombie, locked room, etc). Fun stuff.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The Baroque Cycle by Neil Stephenson.

I'm like 2/3 through the first book and still don't know what to think. It's hard to read. I've already gave up a couple times to read other things. But then at times I'll get into it and it's the most fascinating thing ever.

Historical fiction in the late 1600s. Isaac Newton is a character.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The End is Always Near by Dan Carlin. I'm obsessed with his Hardcore History podcast. The book is very good but not as enjoyable as his pod.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for making this thread. I’ve been trying to read more this summer and have really hit my groove. Currently reading The Game by Ken Dryden, which has been a great read. My two favorite reads this summer were Dune and The Alchemist. I plan on diving further into the Dune series eventually... Herbert is an amazing storyteller.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The End is Always Near by Dan Carlin. I'm obsessed with his Hardcore History podcast. The book is very good but not as enjoyable as his pod.
Wow. This is news to me. Hardcore History is a damn good podcast. I have listened to Prophets of Doom twice. My local library had a copy of The Tailor-King: The Rise and Fall of the Anabaptist Kingdom of Muenster by Anthony Arthur which was the primary source for the podcast. Great podcast, great book.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm reading Reaganland. Excellent overview of the Repubican party over the past 40 years and provides very good insight into how the party metastasized into what it is right now. Highly recommended!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Went on a tear at the start of the pandemic, had never tried Wheel of Time before and heard they were making a show and had it recommended it to me by friends a lot over the years.

I read the first 5 or 6 books in an extremely short time span, like probably way too fast, and got completely burned out as the plot of the series wavered and came to a near halt, think I stopped mid 7th book and haven't read anything since probably May or June now. :laugh:

I've since read that books ~6-10 or 11 are an ugly slog of not much progress, not sure if I'll ever go back at this point, but would be open to some encouragement if anyone here has finished the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad