Music: What Are You Listening To Part lV

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Really good shoegaze/alternative. Thought I'd struck gold with Diiv earlier this year but this album is better

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I know you've got a lot of good things happening up ahead
The past is gone, it's all been said
So here's to what the future brings
I know tomorrow you'll find better things

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I love Clapton and Badge is one of his best songs, but for me it also is a prime example of what I dislike about his solo live performances. For 9 out of 10 great artists I find there are live versions that are better and more powerful than the records but that isn't the case for him. His arrangements are always way too big (backup singers and all) and he loses the subtleties of the recorded songs in favor of longer solos. With Badge he speeds it up and does a long dramatic pause before the coda and make it bigger. The song itself is sad in some sense, but that gets lost in the wankage when played live. It's like every (solo) show he plays sounds like he is closing an awards show. .

I don't know, man. Here's another live version I found recently which I love with George Terry again with solo #1. (I think)

To me, seeing him live is all about 1:30-4:30 and then when Clapton drops back in at 5:35-to the end

He throws in a phrase that sounds right out of Strange Brew around 6:45.....seeing this live would be the highlight of any Clapton show to me.

It may be a sad song as written, but that can change. Eddie Vedder wrote "Alive" as an angry song, but he said the crowd reaction to it live turned it into song of inspiration and changed the meaning of the song to him.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I don't know, man. Here's another live version I found recently which I love with George Terry again with solo #1. (I think)

To me, seeing him live is all about 1:30-4:30 and then when Clapton drops back in at 5:35-to the end

He throws in a phrase that sounds right out of Strange Brew around 6:45.....seeing this live would be the highlight of any Clapton show to me.

It may be a sad song as written, but that can change. Eddie Vedder wrote "Alive" as an angry song, but he said the crowd reaction to it live turned it into song of inspiration and changed the meaning of the song to him.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I am a big fan, but for whatever reason I think he goes to the well way too often in concert when it comes to having a big (backup singers,percussion etc) sped-up guitar solo coda. He's got White Room, I Shot The Sheriff, Presence of the Lord, Let It Rain etc etc.

He is without a doubt one of the best lyrical players of all time, but the nuance of his phrasing and the dynamics of the show get lost when so much of the concert is shouted, buried in a wall of notes, and most songs get the same treatment. It would seem he thinks people just want to see a guitar exposition (which may be mostly true), but I think he undercuts his overall musicianship and sophistication in favor of that. When playing with Cream or Winwood though he seems to appreciate the picture as a whole though.

That said all said, taken individually the results can be spectacular

Last edited:
Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Never thought I'd say this, but Miley Cyrus' newest album. Has a rock feel to it. I've always enjoyed her rock covers so I figure I give it a try. Surprisingly good imo.

Reactions: peate

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
One of the breakthrough UK bands from last year, just listening to their album now. Good song, monotonous but memorable

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Never thought I'd say this, but Miley Cyrus' newest album. Has a rock feel to it. I've always enjoyed her rock covers so I figure I give it a try. Surprisingly good imo.
I've still got Midnight sky stuck in my head, it's been over a month now. Have seen all the video versions, around 6 or 7 , this is my favorite.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad