Music: What Are You Listening To Part lV

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
there are dozens of live versions of this, maybe hundreds, but I can't imagine any better

The first solo by George Terry is first class, but Clapton's solo is just poetry.Literally brings tears to my eyes, I think I've listened to this version 2 dozen times this week.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
My wife an I celebrated our 10th. anniversary of meeting in Moscow...so we celebrated this weekend with a wine, song and dance.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
there are dozens of live versions of this, maybe hundreds, but I can't imagine any better

The first solo by George Terry is first class, but Clapton's solo is just poetry.Literally brings tears to my eyes, I think I've listened to this version 2 dozen times this week.

I love Clapton and Badge is one of his best songs, but for me it also is a prime example of what I dislike about his solo live performances. For 9 out of 10 great artists I find there are live versions that are better and more powerful than the records but that isn't the case for him. His arrangements are always way too big (backup singers and all) and he loses the subtleties of the recorded songs in favor of longer solos. With Badge he speeds it up and does a long dramatic pause before the coda and make it bigger. The song itself is sad in some sense, but that gets lost in the wankage when played live. It's like every (solo) show he plays sounds like he is closing an awards show.

It is interesting to me though that he seems notably different in groups and dials it back. The Winwood/Clapton at MSG album is great. I have to assume he must think that people come to see him for his guitar solos and not for the songs.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
From the comments :laugh:

"The singer looks like she’s reading the lyrics for the first time on cue cards and is really confused about what they mean. This song slaps btw"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad