Music: What Are You Listening To Part 5

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

coldplays-chris-martin-recreate-yellow-video-idles-1234968406

U.K. post-punks Idles enlisted Chris Martin — both the real one from now and the one from 24 years ago — to help them put together the video for their new song, “Grace.”

The clip is basically the same one Coldplay released all the way back in 2000 for their hit song, “Yellow,” with Martin walking along a dreary, empty beach in the rain. Only in the “Grace” clip is he mouthing along to the Idles song, a feat accomplished with a bit of AI deepfake technology.

The idea for the video came to Idles frontman Joe Talbot in a dream, and the band not only got Martin’s approval, but his assistance in making the clip a reality. Martin took the time to help train the AI and make sure his vocal “performance” in the video looked as real as possible.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Three compilations; Utopia — The Collection, The Very Best of the Doors and Best of Alan Parsons Project.

Unfortunately, this collection concentrates more on the later power pop/new wave than progressive side of Utopia. Still, it has a few of fairly rare examples of 1970s US prog. Todd Rundgren's solo album Initiation (1975) was very proggy too, so Todd was really embracing the genre around the mid-1970s.

There are some pretty good poppier songs too

I've never been crazy about the Doors but I began to feel ashamed not having any of their albums. I like these so called deep cuts

Yes, "Sirius" is overplayed nowadays, but I've always thought that it and "Eye in the Sky" is one of the best one-two punches on an album ever (wisely, it opens this compilation too)

Last edited:

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Three compilations; Utopia — The Collection, The Very Best of the Doors and Best of Alan Parsons Project.

Unfortunately, this collection concentrates more on the later power pop/new wave than progressive side of Utopia. Still, it has a few of fairly rare examples of 1970s US prog. Todd Rundgren's solo album Initiation (1975) was very proggy too, so Todd was really embracing the genre around the mid-1970s.

There are some pretty good poppier songs too

I've never been crazy about the Doors but I began to feel ashamed not having any of their albums. I like these so called deep cuts

Yes, "Sirius" is overplayed nowadays, but I've always thought that it and "Eye in the Sky" is one of the best one-two punches on an album ever (wisely, it opens this compilation too)

I enjoy The Doors because it's borderline counter-counter culture when it comes to the sound. Love how they have psycadelic songs that dares go into the dark aspect of the psycadelic sound instead of the bubblegum pop-sound of bands like The Byrds (i still like them too). But i prefer their more heavy rock & blues sound over the early stuff.

Reactions: Bahama Mama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad