OT: What are you having for Christmas dinner this year?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Since there isn't much happening with the Flames right now because of you know...
I thought I would ask the all important seasonal question.... what's for dinner on Christmas day?

This year my wife and I thought we would do something different from the traditional turkey, stuffing, veggies and potatoes. So we thought.. what about a prime rib roast with Yorkshire pudding? So off to Costco we went to check out their prime rib roasts. Were we ever in for a surprise. A two rib roast cost $85! WTF?
So then we thought... lets take a look at steak and lobster. A NY striploin (not the best steak but certainly not the worst) costs about $30/kg and lobster tails cost $85 a kg.

Needless to say we left Costco empty handed and ended up going back the the old standby... turkey. Got a 4.5 kg fresh turkey (I find fresh is juicier than frozen) for $23.... So for Christmas dinner in the Rubi household it will be roast turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, turnip and brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, and lots of gravy.... and ending up with lots of leftovers as well as delicious turkey soup.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I've never been a big fan of turkey and I only eat it on Thanksgiving and Christmas because that's what friends and family make for dinner. After talking about it with them, it turns out they mostly make it because that's what everyone eats. It's vicious circle.

Each year my sisters make something and this year we're going with... enchiladas!

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm fortunate to get 3 days of celebrations over the holidays. This year, I will definitely be having turkey at one (maybe two) and then the third will likely be something different, not sure what yet.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Turkey, stuffing, mashed potato, sweet potato, curried rice, gravy, corn, carrots, cauliflower, buns, cranberry, beets, pickles, pickled onions, olives. All this for the meatetarians. My daughter-in-law and her Mum are vegetarians. I am not sure what wifey has in store for them, but I'm sure they will be full by the time they finish.

Edit: Wifey says no problem. Add in a bean salad and we're good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Spending it all alone. So probably some pizza.

Usually it's the whole show, but not in the cards this time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Spending it all alone. So probably some pizza.

Usually it's the whole show, but not in the cards this time.
Been there done that when I was younger and single.
I would order some KFC chicken with gravy, make some instant mashed potatoes, and microwave some veggies like corn for my Christmas dinner. Honestly... it wasn't too bad and it was a lot closer to having the tradition Chritmas turkey than pizza.

Oh... and don't forget to pick up some Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and a couple of liters of Egg Nog. Christmas really isn't Christmas without a few Rum & Nogs to celebrate the day.

Reactions: deleted user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad