What are the worst injuries guys have played through the playoffs with?

thegongshow

Oct 18, 2014
I know one year Mike Richards played through two torn labrums (how in the hell do you take slapper with that?). There's the other guy. (Name I forget) who infamously skated on a broken leg. Who else comes particularly to mind?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bergeron against Chicago in the Finals...I lost count of how many injuries he was playing with.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
"I think as a player, you appreciate that so much. Daymond Langkow, he broke his toe so bad. Big toe. It was shattered. They were freezing it every night. He is so tough. They stuck the needle in to freeze it. They finished freezing it and in order to get [the needle] in, they had to wiggle [the needle] around to get it through deep into his toe. They stuck it in and it hurt, you could see him getting in pain. He comes walking back in the room and is like, 'The freezing didn't work.' Sometimes it doesn't; in Arizona, the heat takes away the effectiveness of the painkiller. He went back in and they're like, 'No, it might just take some time.' They start feeling around and his sock was wet. They were like, 'What the heck?' They stuck it through his big toe, all the way through, and injected it into his sock."

-Shane Doan

Made me cringe pretty hard

Edit: Didn't see this was playoffs only.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Joe Thornton this year played through a torn ACL and MCL

This and Bergeron playing with a punctured lung

How the hell do they even get cleared to play? Can't imagine the stones it takes to play through that

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bergeron against Chicago in the Finals...I lost count of how many injuries he was playing with.

http://nesn.com/2013/07/patrice-ber...hrough-serious-injuries-in-stanley-cup-final/

"Bergeron played through a daunting list of injuries all the way through the Stanley Cup Final, as the center was dealing with a rib injury that included a cartilage tear, a punctured lung and a separated shoulder he suffered in Game 6 of the Cup Final. The injuries landed Bergeron in a Chicago hospital following Game 5, and he went to a Boston hospital after the Final concluded with the Bruins’ Game 6 loss. In typical Bergeron fashion, however, he downplayed the injuries and the sacrifices he made to play through them. Bergeron, who missed the team’s break-up day last week (because he was in the hospital), met weith the media Tuesday in the B’s dressing room at TD Garden."

Last edited:

Blueshirts 94

DJ ZBad
Jan 26, 2016
New York
I know one year Mike Richards played through two torn labrums (how in the hell do you take slapper with that?). There's the other guy. (Name I forget) who infamously skated on a broken leg. Who else comes particularly to mind?

Broken leg was Greg Campbell, 2013 ECF vs Pittsburgh.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Bobby Hull:

Here is a quote from SI On January 20, 1969 which tells us how much effort Bobby Hull put into the playoffs, I was around at the time and can vouch for the accuracy of this statement:

"So Hull continues to play with an injury that would sideline many hockey players. Bobby's current state, in fact, reminds one of the 1963 Stanley Cup playoffs, during which he played with a nose so severely smashed that the fracture extended into his skull. With the Hawks one game from elimination, Hull ignored the orders of his doctors, checked out of a Chicago hospital and flew by himself to Detroit. That night—with both eyes blackened, his nose encased in tape and blood draining into his throat—he played against the Red Wings. He scored three goals and an assist, but even that heroic effort was not enough to avert a 7-4 Chicago loss."

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Kovalchuk had some kind of painful back injury in 2012 and still played well, though clearly lost a step. He needed surgery in the offseason

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Daniel Alfredsson played with a blown ACL and a broken jaw, if I recall correctly, the year after the cup finals run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad