what are the Top 10 moments of Brendan Shanahan ice hockey career?

WWAD

Aug 20, 2009
#1 moment - being traded from the Hartford Whalers to the Detroit Red Wings. :laugh:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Honestly, I'm always going to remember Shanahan and the St. Louis signing, and how that changed two franchises' courses for the next decade. St. Louis signed Scott Stevens in 1990 as a free agent. Basically unheard of at the time, and surrendered 5 first round picks for him(the comp at the time for a FA signing). St. Louis were a point away from the President's Cup that year, and poised for even bigger things with Hull, Oates, Stevens et al. They sign Brendan Shanahan in the offseason to an already potent lineup, and look to be a juggernaut in the making.

Now, I can't recall off the top of my head, so those more familliar please fill these details in, but I believe because St. Louis didn't have any 1st round picks to give for a long time, the Devils demanded compensation in the form of a player. After a little back and forth, the Devils asked for Stevens, and the arbitrator agreed. We all know how it played out after that.

Now, none of this is Shanahan's fault, of course. I just always remember that whole episode whenever I think of Shanahan. Ron Caron seemed to be the only GM aggressively trying to improve his team, and that arbitrator's decision basically shot the whole thing down. Nobody was willing to sign anyone if it meant they could lose that kind of player.

thefifthsedin*

Honestly, I'm always going to remember Shanahan and the St. Louis signing, and how that changed two franchises' courses for the next decade. St. Louis signed Scott Stevens in 1990 as a free agent. Basically unheard of at the time, and surrendered 5 first round picks for him(the comp at the time for a FA signing). St. Louis were a point away from the President's Cup that year, and poised for even bigger things with Hull, Oates, Stevens et al. They sign Brendan Shanahan in the offseason to an already potent lineup, and look to be a juggernaut in the making.

Now, I can't recall off the top of my head, so those more familliar please fill these details in, but I believe because St. Louis didn't have any 1st round picks to give for a long time, the Devils demanded compensation in the form of a player. After a little back and forth, the Devils asked for Stevens, and the arbitrator agreed. We all know how it played out after that.

Now, none of this is Shanahan's fault, of course. I just always remember that whole episode whenever I think of Shanahan. Ron Caron seemed to be the only GM aggressively trying to improve his team, and that arbitrator's decision basically shot the whole thing down. Nobody was willing to sign anyone if it meant they could lose that kind of player.

vancouver initially asked for brendan shanahan as compensation for petr nedved ... the blues said no and offered craig janney ... vancouver said ok, but janney said no and st. louis offered jeff brown, bret hedican and nathan lafayette ... vancouver said ok we take whatever crap for nedved

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
About 21 seconds in

Funny thing is despite 650 career goals, three Cups and 21 years in the NHL this is the first thing I think of too. You know what, that isn't a bad thing either

But here are my top 10 no order:
1) The above brawl and Shanny as the new Red Wing who didn't experience what happened a year earlier asking no questions and standing up for his teammates
2) Scoring the OT goal for the sweep in '97 against Anaheim
3) notching the empty netter to seal the 2002 Cup win
4) Fighting Donald Brashear for picking on Jagr (both on Rangers then)
5) sliding along the ice blocking a shot that knocked him out of the 2001 playoffs vs. Kings
6) A Man's man, with a broken ankle with St. Louis and instead of lying on the ice hopped to the bench and jumped over it. Wow.
7) His goal in Game #2 of the 1996 World Cup vs. USA. Just sheer power of a shot.
8) During the lockout orchestrating some of the rule changes
9) Along with Yzerman, took a paycut to allow that stacked 2002 team to form
10) For some reason I remember the 2002 Olympics when he made a pick on Leclair just for a split second allowing Sakic to score the goal (even if the game was over then)

Off the ice, well is Craig Janney still bitter?

All kidding aside Shanny had a great career and should have his ticket punched for 2012 unless because of training camp won't be eligible for 2013, either way

Wetcoaster

On the Noon News Hour on BC Global TV they replayed an interview with Shanahan from 1995 where he points out to the interviewing reporter (Squire Barnes I believe) that his fly is down. The reporter thinks he is just "funning him" and keeps trying to do the interview until finally he realizes that Shanny is serious.:laugh:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

More than that ENG, people in Detroit tend to reminisce about his one against Colorado in Game 6 in 1997. A lot of people (wrongly, though retrospectively rightly) assumed the 2002 Cup was the Red Wings to lose, whereas after 1996, beating Colorado and returning to the dance was in quite a bit of doubt- and very much personal.

EDIT: Oh, and no "sax" on game day. :D

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I know it dosen't trump his red wing days but i'd like to put it in there.

1) Scored the OT goal in a 0-0 NJD vs NYR game(first time ever in the history of the 2 teams playing each other)
2) When he collided with knuble and got a concussion,while being taken out on a stretcher the garden crowd chanted "SHANNY! SHANNY!" even while concussed and on a stretched,shanahan raised his hand and gave a thumbs up to the crowd.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
On the Noon News Hour on BC Global TV they replayed an interview with Shanahan from 1995 where he points out to the interviewing reporter (Squire Barnes I believe) that his fly is down. The reporter thinks he is just "funning him" and keeps trying to do the interview until finally he realizes that Shanny is serious.:laugh:

Isn't Shanahan the one who did the interview stomping his feet, trying to mock those guys who do the interviews from on the stationary bike? I liked that one.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
Funny thing is despite 650 career goals, three Cups and 21 years in the NHL this is the first thing I think of too. You know what, that isn't a bad thing either

But here are my top 10 no order:
1) The above brawl and Shanny as the new Red Wing who didn't experience what happened a year earlier asking no questions and standing up for his teammates
2) Scoring the OT goal for the sweep in '97 against Anaheim
4) Fighting Donald Brashear for picking on Jagr (both on Rangers then)
5) sliding along the ice blocking a shot that knocked him out of the 2001 playoffs vs. Kings
6) A Man's man, with a broken ankle with St. Louis and instead of lying on the ice hopped to the bench and jumped over it. Wow.
7) His goal in Game #2 of the 1996 World Cup vs. USA. Just sheer power of a shot.
8) During the lockout orchestrating some of the rule changes
9) Along with Yzerman, took a paycut to allow that stacked 2002 team to form
10) For some reason I remember the 2002 Olympics when he made a pick on Leclair just for a split second allowing Sakic to score the goal (even if the game was over then)

Off the ice, well is Craig Janney still bitter?

All kidding aside Shanny had a great career and should have his ticket punched for 2012 unless because of training camp won't be eligible for 2013, either way

Was at that game. And if I ever get the chance to meet Shanny I'll be sure to thank him, that game was absolutely amazing. December 30, 2006 I believe was the date, 4-1 or 4-2 final. One of my better recent hockey memories.

thefifthsedin*

5:12 the commentator saying darren mccarthy is 'extremely complete as a hockey player' :amazed: :shakehead ... he is not even close to be close to be complete so how can he be 'extremely complete'? ... it's not even close, or funny ... even if it was a joke :shakehead

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
5:12 the commentator saying darren mccarthy is 'extremely complete as a hockey player' :amazed: :shakehead ... he is not even close to be close to be complete so how can he be 'extremely complete'? ... it's not even close, or funny ... even if it was a joke :shakehead

I don't know, heat of the moment I guess. He had 49 point that year, which I guess isn't bad for a grinder. But yeah it would be weird saying that considering he hadn't even scored his Cup winning goal against Philly yet..........

thefifthsedin*

I don't know, heat of the moment I guess. He had 49 point that year, which I guess isn't bad for a grinder. But yeah it would be weird saying that considering he hadn't even scored his Cup winning goal against Philly yet..........

yes, i can see it's a heat of the moment statement ... and 49 points [19 goals] isn't crappy for a grinder, but such things happen ... chris simon also scored 49 points one season [29 goals] and gino odjick scored 16 goals one season [playing with the guy that 'never passed the puck' ... ]

as for the brawl i think it's at least a little strange that peter forsberg couldn't take out little igor larionov ... forsberg was never a good fighter :shakehead

and lidström and kamensky standing there and hugging, 4:15, is also funny ... lidström being perhaps the nicest player ever

Tavaresmagicalplay*

yes, i can see it's a heat of the moment statement ... and 49 points [19 goals] isn't crappy for a grinder, but such things happen ... chris simon also scored 49 points one season [29 goals] and gino odjick scored 16 goals one season [playing with the guy that 'never passed the puck' ... ]

as for the brawl i think it's at least a little strange that peter forsberg couldn't take out little igor larionov ... forsberg was never a good fighter :shakehead

and lidström and kamensky standing there and hugging, 4:15, is also funny ... lidström being perhaps the nicest player ever
29 goals and 16 goals are pretty good seasons for those players I don't know what you're talking about. 19 goals is an excellent year for most 3rd liners. That's a legitimate statement. Depending on the year he might have even been on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad