What are the odds of a "Fire Carlyle" chant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hopefully they do what they feel is right and not make decisions based on fan reaction.
Most fans don't really have a clue.

Are you suggesting that firing the coach, the GM, and trading away every player that has been here longer than 3 years for yet to be known 18 year olds is not a recipe for guaranteed future success?

How dare you? :sarcasm:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
"Hire Babcock" - should be the chant - has more vision than simply "fire the coach" every 3-4 years - boring - same old same old ya know?

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
We'll get rid of Carlyle then have this exact conversation again when the new coach has worn out his welcome.

I still think Carlyle is part of the problem, but I also agree the players are just sitting back enjoying their big fat contracts.

Althought look at how Pittsburgh got rid of Bylsma after only a couple of years even when the team was one of the best in the league. Tortorella did not even last a full season in Vancouver, then the same players he had improved after they replaced him. Also Anahiem improved after Carlyle was canned, even when he had the same core and a cup contending team.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There was anger and disgust amongst the fanbase last year.

And yet there I was, at the ACC last home game of last season against Winnipeg, with 2 minutes to go and the Leafs getting beat heavily by the Jets in a game that concluded their playoff fate, and instead of a "Fire Carlyle" chant there were a few people who tried to get a Go Leafs Go chant going.

If it didn't start at the end of last season's debacle with the anger amongst the fanbase, I doubt it's going to start.

It was the final nail in the coffin for Wilson though. If it somehow does start against Carlyle, you would imagine there's no way back for him.

If things go south against either the Caps or the Jackets, I really hope it does get an airing. It only takes a few brave folks at the ACC to get it started - the fanbase is a powder keg right now, just start it and let things spread

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
JVR-Kadri-Santo
Komarov-Bozak-Lupul
Kessel-Holland-Panik
Winnick-Smith-Clarkson

Even that looks shaky defensively,bozak-lupul is disaster, there's just too many lazy defensive players on the roster. Panik-holland maybe not enough to insulate kessel

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I think it's classless and hope we're above this.

This does nothing but make us look like a trash fan base.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Or a passionate fan base that has reached a boiling point of frustration and is finally demanding some accountability?

Worked pretty well in Vancouver last year.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
I still think Carlyle is part of the problem, but I also agree the players are just sitting back enjoying their big fat contracts.

Althought look at how Pittsburgh got rid of Bylsma after only a couple of years even when the team was one of the best in the league. Tortorella did not even last a full season in Vancouver, then the same players he had improved after they replaced him. Also Anahiem improved after Carlyle was canned, even when he had the same core and a cup contending team.

I thought the Ducks only won one Cup. They won a Cup with Carlyle so to improve upon that they would have to win multiple Cups. Have they won 3 Stanley Cups?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I highly doubt they would commit to another coach long term in season with so many question marks on the team. You likley see an intern in Spott or Hori. There is a lot of things we don't know right now, for example; the possession statistics. There is evidence that some of our core players had significantly higher possession stats under Wilson then Carlyle, and that Carlyle's old team had a reversal after his departure. How much of this is the system? The players? Another thing; team defense. Is it the system? Or do we really have the worst defenders in the league?

Carlyle should have never made it though the summer, and this likley see's Nonis get fired due to his inability to act. Now we have a lame duck coach and a ton of question marks. I say fire him now and see how the team preforms with a new direction on the bench, otherwise were bound to trade players that were struggling here due to Carlyle only to have major sucess away from Toronto (Aka Gardiner or Kessel).

Sorry, I should have clarified more. What I meant was fire Carlyle and promote Horachek or Spott as the interim. Then in the off season you no longer have to worry about Carlyle, you have seen what Horachek was able to (or not to) do with this group, and hopefully have a list full of candidates for the coaching job.

If Horachek does well with the group then great allow him to interview for the role as full-time head coach but also look into Dan Bylsma, Dean Blashill, Guy Boucher, etc. Dont just wait on Babcock as the only plan.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
how about a trade kessel chant? that's a lot better.

This.

Carlyle isn't the problem but TBH if Babcock chooses Toronto he's gone anyways.

Also, it's probably not a good idea for this fan base to boo another coach out of town, when someone as promising as Babcock is kicking the organization's tires.

Sometimes, it is a good idea to slap lipstick on a pig...

I further agree with Trade Kessel chants because I do not see Kessel as a compatible player with Babcock.

Even in the event we don't get Babcock, I think Shanahan has a vision that Kessel doesn't mesh with.

The only reason I think Kessel is still here is due to Shanahan biding time until he gets a crack at Babcock, and can let him test the Kessel waters before a decision is made to trade him (or whoever the next coach is, if it's Dale Hunter, same deal).

Carlyle/Nonis are dead-men walking.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

You might be right but ..

ACC fans cheered "Fire Wilson" and "Fire Burke" and both times got their wish in the past.

I think if the losing continues, even if it isn't Carlyle's fault we might hear the chants as fans voice their displeasure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You might be right but ..

ACC fans cheered "Fire Wilson" and "Fire Burke" and both times got their wish in the past.

I think if the losing continues, even if it isn't Carlyle's fault we might hear the chants as fans voice their displeasure.

I don't recall that ever happening.

I remember the "Give Domi the C" chants when fans were frustrated with Sundin. Fans aren't always the brightest.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
"We want Burkie" is the only acceptable chant.

Yeah, sure, bring back that foul mouthed windbag! :p:

He promised a tough team, and I quote "We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play." :(

Then, he goes out and trades far too much to acquire the softest, chicken **** player there ever was! :help:

I have very little respect for Brian Burke! :shakehead

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This.

Also, it's probably not a good idea for this fan base to boo another coach out of town, when someone as promising as Babcock is kicking the organization's tires.

I further agree with Trade Kessel chants because I do not see Kessel as a compatible player with Babcock.

Even in the event we don't get Babcock, I think Shanahan has a vision that Kessel doesn't mesh with.

The only reason I think Kessel is still here is due to Shanahan biding time until he gets a crack at Babcock, and can let him test the Kessel waters before a decision is made to trade him (or whoever the next coach is, if it's Dale Hunter, same deal).

Are you suggesting the the Toronto Maple Leafs should trade Phil Kessel based on the reasoning that you think he is not compatible with the coach of the Detroit Red Wings?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't recall that ever happening.

I remember the "Give Domi the C" chants when fans were frustrated with Sundin. Fans aren't always the brightest.

Leafs fans now chant 'Fire Burkie' - The Globe and Mail

Mar 20, 2012 - Four years, and it's still Brian Burke in your face. ... There were 'Fire Burkie' chants at the Air Canada Centre Tuesday night, as the Maple Leafs ...

Beyond 'Fire Burke': It's on Brian Burke to silence Maple ...

The fact that the chant — "Fire Burke" according to the Toronto Star, "Fire ... fans at the ACC targeted GM Brian Burke in the same way that they ...

& Wilson

GM Brian Burke: Maple Leafs fan chants led to Ron Wilson’s firing

On Tuesday night, Leafs fans chanted "FIRE WILSON! ... Wilson to be put through that again," Burke said the ACC crowd's anti-Wilson chants.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This.

Trading Kessel should have been his priority starting April 12, 2014.

He should have gotten a boatload of a return this past trade deadline, or entry draft, or the dog days of summer! He chose to try and trade for Josh Gorges, sign an aging Stéphane Robidas, and, hire a crew of inexperienced executives! And, don't give me the excuse that Nonis is in charge as the G.M., as we all know he's a lame duck G.M.

How about you get off your duff Shanahan, and IMPROVE the on-ice product! Your evaluating, analyzing, and reviewing, should be complete by now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad