Movies: What are the most universally loved movies of all time?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
To me, The Lord of the Rings franchise comes to mind. General audiences love it for the action set pieces and the adventure aspect, Tolkien/book fans love it for being a pretty true to form adaptation and the care and thought Jackson put into translating that world on screen, critics love it for all the technical aspects and the scope of it all, and the film industry recognized it with a ton of awards. I think it's one of the few movie franchises or movies in general that ticks all of the boxes.

It was not. Jackson himself said something like, "sure, it's not Lord of the Rings but I still think it's a pretty good movie". It got a fair amount of hate from die-hard Tolkien fans (like me), including Christopher Tolkien.

The Lord of the Rings (film series) - Wikipedia

As for some movies that I would say are universally popular:

Original Star Wars
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Casablanca
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Lawrence of Arabia

Plenty others

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The Dark Knight, maybe something like American Beauty? Pleasing for both the art house crowd and the masses is tough. Much of Disney animation would probably fit the bill, like nobody is hating on Mulan or Finding Nemo or anything, although I'm not sure I would ever need to watch them again.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Godfather and The Godfather Part II are fairly universally admired.

I'm a big fan of both, but they're far too violent for some people. Plus, the era in which they're set would be a turnoff for some as well

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The correct answer is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

No one dislikes this film.

Incorrect

I watched it for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago, and thought it was shit

I find Steve Martin annoying, not funny

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It was not. Jackson himself said something like, "sure, it's not Lord of the Rings but I still think it's a pretty good movie". It got a fair amount of hate from die-hard Tolkien fans (like me), including Christopher Tolkien.

The Lord of the Rings (film series) - Wikipedia

As for some movies that I would say are universally popular:

Original Star Wars
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Casablanca
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Lawrence of Arabia

Plenty others

Temple Of Doom was my favorite movie as a kid, so I have nothing against Indiana Jones

But I tried to sit through Raiders Of The Lost Ark about 6 months ago, and I bailed about 30 minutes into it

It just wasn't very good

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If you don't like either Back to the Future or The Princess Bride, then I don't know what to tell you.

I listed Back To The Future as my answer, but The Princess Bride is an excellent choice as well

I'd also include Mary Poppins in that tier

Honourable mention to Home Alone and The Goonies

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Temple Of Doom was my favorite movie as a kid, so I have nothing against Indiana Jones

But I tried to sit through Raiders Of The Lost Ark about 6 months ago, and I bailed about 30 minutes into it

It just wasn't very good

Wow, I dont understand that. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but what Spielberg crafted and what Ford brought was movie magic. The score, the acting, the directing, everything.

That proves that not everyone likes everything though. I read the shining and loved it, so I went back to watch Kubrick's movie and couldnt do it. It just wasnt the same. I turned it off and will return to it in a year or so as I recall liking it

But the book really is miles better.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Wow, I dont understand that. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but what Spielberg crafted and what Ford brought was movie magic. The score, the acting, the directing, everything.

That proves that not everyone likes everything though. I read the shining and loved it, so I went back to watch Kubrick's movie and couldnt do it. It just wasnt the same. I turned it off and will return to it in a year or so as I recall liking it

But the book really is miles better.

I don't see the magic

Cartoonish henchmen, cheesy sound effects, silly fight scenes

I see a film that doesn't know if it's for children or adults

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think that moves out films like Citizen Kane or even the Godfather. There are many people who haven't seen those films, as even though they know they are considered classics, it's hard to motivate people to watch.
I watched Citizen Kane of my own accord and to me it was a chore to get through. I could appreciate how revolutionary it was for its time, but in the end I couldn’t wait for it to be over. I personally wouldn’t watch it again but can understand why it’s a classic. On the flip side I loved the godfather 1 & 2, I didn’t mind 3 either, nowhere near the same caliber of movie but I thought it largely enjoyable enough.

Little off track and perhaps it’s a discussion for another thread, but sequels that would work better outside the franchise they were in. Die hard 4 sticks out to me in this regard, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, but to me it wasn’t a die hard movie.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I watched Citizen Kane of my own accord and to me it was a chore to get through. I could appreciate how revolutionary it was for its time, but in the end I couldn’t wait for it to be over. I personally wouldn’t watch it again but can understand why it’s a classic. On the flip side I loved the godfather 1 & 2, I didn’t mind 3 either, nowhere near the same caliber of movie but I thought it largely enjoyable enough.

Little off track and perhaps it’s a discussion for another thread, but sequels that would work better outside the franchise they were in. Die hard 4 sticks out to me in this regard, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, but to me it wasn’t a die hard movie.

This article details the development of each of the Die Hard films and why they all feel different from each other. They're usually conceived as a standalone movie, then adapted to become a die hard film.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.deno...66/the-strange-history-of-the-die-hard-movies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad