Movies: What are the most universally loved movies of all time?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Temple Of Doom was my favorite movie as a kid, so I have nothing against Indiana Jones

But I tried to sit through Raiders Of The Lost Ark about 6 months ago, and I bailed about 30 minutes into it

It just wasn't very good
I get that. I liked them as a kid but I can't watch the first two anymore. Especially Temple of Doom is horrible and full of cringeworthy stereotypes.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Like many of Spielberg's films, Raiders has that great opening (putting it mildly), but the rest of it is forgettable.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched Citizen Kane of my own accord and to me it was a chore to get through. I could appreciate how revolutionary it was for its time, but in the end I couldn’t wait for it to be over. I personally wouldn’t watch it again but can understand why it’s a classic. On the flip side I loved the godfather 1 & 2, I didn’t mind 3 either, nowhere near the same caliber of movie but I thought it largely enjoyable enough.

Little off track and perhaps it’s a discussion for another thread, but sequels that would work better outside the franchise they were in. Die hard 4 sticks out to me in this regard, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, but to me it wasn’t a die hard movie.

It may sound odd but for years I used to love to get really stoned late at night and watch old black and white movies. The classics like On the Waterfront, Casablanca, Rapsody in Blue, Great Expectations, etc... But one movie I could not get through was Citizen Kane, I tried 3 or 4 times and just couldn't get into it, not sure why but never finished it. I have always heard how great a movie it is and I've liked other Orson Welles movies but for some reason just couldn't get into it.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think that moves out films like Citizen Kane or even the Godfather. There are many people who haven't seen those films, as even though they know they are considered classics, it's hard to motivate people to watch.

So many people have saw those films due though due to how long and how great they are. Way back when the Godfather came out on DVD, I worked at Amazon.com and when that came out they couldn't keep up with the demand, pallets and pallets and they just chewed through them.

I can certainly see the case of younger people not seeing the much older back and white movies. It's a shame too, On the Waterfront to me is the one of the greatest movies ever made but I wonder how many say under 40 would sit and watch a black and white movie today. So makes you wonder over the next 20-30 years how many people will around that have seen these classics.

One of the most impressive movies I ever saw was The Passion of Joan of Arc, a French silent film from 1928 with Maria Falconetti as the lead, Carl Theodor Dreyer Directed and Co-wrote. Not only is the movie impactful but it's also got one of the coolest stories to go with it, how the film was controversial due to France making Joan of Arc a Saint after the end of WWI and so someone broke into the studio and destroyed the film. It was thought to be lost when it showed up in the '80's in a closet of a mental institution in Norway with no one knowing how the heck it got there. To think how many people won't bother to see it since it's a silent film and in French or hear the great musical score Voices of Light by Richard Einhorn that goes so well with the movie.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park.

Spielberg in general did a a pretty great job making movies for everyone to like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad