Movies: What are the Biggest Oscar Snubs Ever?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally I feel Gump gets a bad rap. It went from overrated to underrated. It's not masterpiece or hallmark of cinematic achievement, but it succeeds at everything it sets out to achieve (though it doesn't strive for much) and it's a heartwarming tall tale with good acting performances.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Forest Gump is one of my favorite movies, when I had cable I always watched it when it was on.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
I am going to defend Dances With Wolves (and Costner winning over Scorcese to some degree).

I think it is easy for people who did not grow up in the time period to not understand how much impact Dances With Wolves had. Costner was the biggest movie star in the world, had thrown a tremendous amount of passion and detail into an epic production and shined a positive light on Native Americans that has rarely been experienced in movies before or since. It kicked off a small rebirth in westerns in Hollywood (the 80s had very few) and also triggered multiple projects focusing on Native Americans like Smoke Signals, Thunderheart, and Last of the Mohicans that likely would not have seen the light of day without it.

Also, Dances With Wolves is often overlooked simply because it is not replayed over and over on TV the way Goodfellas has simply because of its length. It is a terrible movie experience on TV because with commercials it like 5+ hours long. No one wants to commit half a day to watching a movie in that manner. Meanwhile, Goodfellas (like Shawshank) is a perfect TV movie because the story takes place over a long period of time as a series of short stories that lends itself perfectly to TV because the commercial breaks come at logical intervals and really do not break the flow of the film.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think Gladiator is the most overrated film of all time. It was made during the height of the "shaky camera during action scenes" error which is what made the Bourne film that came out in July so unappealing.

Wolf Of Wall Street couldn't win because in this era, the profanity and very negative portrayal of women would not fly. That movie comes out 20 years ago, maybe it had a chance.

I love Strange Days (1995) that Kathryn Bigelow directed. She could have easily won best director, Fiennes, Bassett, and Sizemore all could and should have got nominations for their roles.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think Gladiator is the most overrated film of all time. It was made during the height of the "shaky camera during action scenes" error which is what made the Bourne film that came out in July so unappealing.

Wolf Of Wall Street couldn't win because in this era, the profanity and very negative portrayal of women would not fly. That movie comes out 20 years ago, maybe it had a chance.

I love Strange Days (1995) that Kathryn Bigelow directed. She could have easily won best director, Fiennes, Bassett, and Sizemore all could and should have got nominations for their roles.

I just checked this because you had me doubting my sanity.

Gladiator does not use shaky cam.

I hate shaky cam (along with those horrible quick cuts the transporter movies and bourne popularized) more than anything, gladiator didn't do that.

edit: Okay so the final fight between joaquin pheonix and russell crowe makes very small use of shaky cam for about 2 seconds. Still, you pretty much dont see it outside of that.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There have been some pretty underwhelming acting performances that won oscars. Cuba Gooding Jr. In Jerry Maguire? In what world was he better than Norton in primal fear or Macy in Fargo?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2001: A Beautiful Mind over Moulin Rouge
2002: Chicago over Gangs of New York
2003: LorR:RotK over Mystic River (I get it... it's really for all the LotR but MR was a better solo movie)
2009: District 9 should have beaten Avator and The Hurt Locker
2014: Theory of Everything should of beaten Birdman

Actor:
2008: Sean Penn over Brad Pitt and Mickey Rourke
2011: Jean Dujardin over Gary Oldman
Supporting:
2004: Morgan Freeman over Jamie Foxx
2006: Alan Arkin over Djimon Hounsou
2011: Chris Plummer over Nick Nolte

That was the male and movie. However the biggest snub in my opinion is American History X not even being nominated. A far superior movie to Shakespeare in Love it should have been a slam dunk winner.

Hurt Locker was 100% the right choice. District 9 was good, but it didn't have the type of story the voters want, i.e the Hurt Locker.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I just checked this because you had me doubting my sanity.

Gladiator does not use shaky cam.

I hate shaky cam (along with those horrible quick cuts the transporter movies and bourne popularized) more than anything, gladiator didn't do that.

edit: Okay so the final fight between joaquin pheonix and russell crowe makes very small use of shaky cam for about 2 seconds. Still, you pretty much dont see it outside of that.

I haven't seen the movie since prob it's first run on cable because I despised it that much, but the scene with the lion I clearly remember having no clue what was going on. Almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Coppola not winning Best Director for the Godfather?

Shakespeare In Love winning Best Picture over American History X, Elizabeth, Life is Beautiful, The Thin Red Line, and Saving Private Ryan (just added to the Netflix instant que)?

The English Patient winning Best Picture over Fargo?

Pulp Fiction & The Shawshank Redemption losing to Forrest Gump for Best Picture?[/B]

I love Godfather, I get stuck watching it whenever it is on, but I wouldn't say it not winning best director and best supporting actor were snubs. When I think of a snub I think of instances where it's like what the hell? Caberet was a solid movie changing the way musicals were made and Joel Grey imo carried the movie more than anyone else and that's saying something considering Liza was perfect. If you hate musicals but had to watch one, that is the one I'd recommend.

The English Patient and Forrest Gump get bad raps. They were both solid movies, also not snubs. Sometimes, like in the case of 1972, some years are loaded and I'd hate to be a voter and not everyone can win.

I hated beyond hated Shakespeare in Love. The story was interesting, but it felt like it got lost and too wrapped up in itself. That said, I don't really remember the other movies so I'm unsure if it deserved anything, though I never felt Paltrow's performance was better than Blanchett.

Titanic was a fine movie, but I didn't think it deserved Best Picture. The recreation is something, but it's the same ol' couple from different side of the train tracks story. It also should've received points off for screwing over First Officer Murdoch. Seriously, Jack & Rose weren't real, Cameron could've created someone else who wasn't for that scene.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was always confused by Anthony Hopkins winning best actor in a lead role for Silence of the Lambs...when he is clearly not the lead actor

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Dances with Wolves is still the hardest one for me to swallow. It isn't a bad movie, but it's sort of generically epic in an old school way, but with a more modern POV. I completely understand it would be embraced in the moment.

Goodfellas, on the other hand, is an old story at its core too, but told in a much fresher, vibrant way. And it too put a bit of a different POV on a previously told tale (versus, say, the nostalgia of The Godfather). That was also known at that point of time. That isn't a revisionist take on Goodfellas. It's as alive and revered today as it ever was.

That's why this one sticks with me. I think other beloved "losers" like Pulp Fiction and LA Confidential have grown in stature whereas I think Goodfellas (and Raging Bull for that matter) came out of the gates with the statures both films still hold today.
The Social Network v. Kings Speech is another one that fits this IMO.

I think 3 factors weighed heavy in that vote:
1. Voters traditionally LOVE epic. I may be being a little reductive, but there seems to be a history of bigger = better in voting. And that's at the heart of a lot of these disagreements.

2. Voters historically have been averse to violence -- at least violence without a moral hook and certainly any film that could skews "edgy" or younger. This has lightened up in the past 20 years as the makeup of voters has changed.

3. Do not underrate the boost of having an actor directing. Academy voters LOVE rewarding actors who write or direct. Costner/Beatty/Gibson have the same combined best director Oscars as Scorsese/Coens/Soderbergh/PT Anderson/Kubrick/Malick/Altman/Hitchcock. 3-3.

I think if this same matchup had occurred a 6-7 years alter, Goodfellas might win.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Follow up thought on Pulp Fiction. It was absolutely a huge movie in the moment (and still is today). I just remember that year well since it was a very formative year in my movie education and Forest Gump was such a juggernaut it was hard to believe any other movie could compete (whether that's right or wrong).

Even then I believed Pulp Fiction was the better film, but it barely felt worth the argument at the time so I don't hold a lot of ire for that year's contest in retrospect. But oooof, Forest Gump does not age well.

Shawshank Redemption, however, is the definition of a late bloomer.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I feel like it's popular to **** on Forrest Gump and Shawshank now. Both crazy popular 1990s films that got great critical reviews. It's like post-hipsterism. It's OK if you don't like the movies, but don't try to tell other people they're bad. Taste and quality are two very different factors.

Not to be a contrarian, but I never got the departed. It was pretty good but it didn't blow my mind like it did for others. Loved Blood Diamond though.

I will say the academy does nominate a lot of crap biopics and other good movies are going to get snubbed as a result.

DiCaprio and Hounsou made what was a pretty damn flawed movie a pretty good one. DiCaprio just seems to have the midas touch when it comes to films.

Hurt Locker was 100% the right choice. District 9 was good, but it didn't have the type of story the voters want, i.e the Hurt Locker.

I don't think they'll ever allow a science fiction movie to win Best Picture.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I was always confused by Anthony Hopkins winning best actor in a lead role for Silence of the Lambs...when he is clearly not the lead actor

Well, technically he is the lead actor. It's not Ted Levine. Clarice Starling is the main character, but you do have a point. Hopkins doesn't have a ton of screen time overall.

It's like I didn't get how William H Macy was put in the Supporting Actor category for Fargo. He's clearly the lead, because the story revolves around his character.

Speaking of lack of screen time, how does Judi Dench win for 8 minutes if screen time in Shakespeare In Love?

DyerMaker66*

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad