What are the arguments to have Gretzky or Lemieux at 4th?

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
I've seen a lot of people rank Lemieux at 4th, and even say he's closer to 5th than 3rd, and I've even seen some people rank Gretzky at 4th before. I guess I'm curious why, especially in Gretzky's case.

Don't get me wrong, there are legitimate reasons to rank any of the big 4 at #1, but I can't really see any reason to rank ALL the other big 4 above Wayne. Any argument that elevates one, usually also lowers another. What I mean is, if you're going to rank Howe above Wayne, it's usually because of either his longevity/consistency, or a combination of that and his two-way play. But if your rank longevity that highly, it's hard to then turn around and rank both Orr and Lemieux above Wayne, given the gap in longevity he holds over both of them. If we say Orr and Howe because of toughness and two-way play, it's hard to then argue Lemieux, who was usually considered worse than Gretzky defensively, and despite his size was constantly getting hurt and injured. Also, he wasn't really any tougher than Wayne; he wasn't a fighter and didn't really grind it out in the corners. He was a bigger, stronger guy who played like a small finesse player.

It's also hard to rate all these 3 above Wayne when we look at things like playoffs or international play. No matter what category you look at, Gretzky is usually no worse than 3rd, and often has a much stronger case for 1st than anyone else.

Lemieux is a little harder to get upset about, granted. IMO he's pretty clearly behind Gretzky. But to say he's closer to 5th is very strange to me. He was the greatest offensive player in history aside from Gretzky himself. If he didn't have the misfortune of having to compete directly against Gretzky for so much time, he'd probably be seen even more favorably. I sometimes feel he gets underrated just because we saw him in the same league as Gretzky, and it's pretty hard to justify ranking him above Wayne when they played at roughly the same time and Gretzky just achieved more.

But IMO he's pretty clearly above the rest as far as offense. While lacking the longevity of Gretzky or Howe, he's still above Orr. And unlike Gretzky, who was still very good later in his career but no longer the best, there are arguments that could be made for Lemieux still being the best player in the league later in his career. Again, I realize missed games hurts him here, but he's still clearly above Orr in this regard. Also, IMO his playoffs are at least as good as Orr's, and seem to rank above Howe's. His international play is better than any except Gretzky IMO, though obviously that's due to having more exposure and opportunity. Still, you can't really say that Lemieux should have been better in any of these tournaments - he was always good, and usually brilliant.

That all being said, I'm open to ranking Lemieux at 4th. But I don't really see how anyone can say he's closer to 5th than 3rd. Much of the differences between Orr, Howe, and Lemieux seem to come down to what people value.

I'm curious why others rank players the way they do though. Not to start fights or arguments, but simply because I'm probably unaware of analysis that others here have done between these players. I'm still very open to having my opinions shifted, especially in regard to Lemieux, I just haven't heard any compelling cases.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
In a nutshell :

Gretzky 4th : None. That would imply having Lemieux above him. International hockey is a bit irrelevant when comparing him to Orr and Howe due to lack of opportunity of those two.
Lemieux 4th : Prime inferior to Orr, do not compensate enough on longevity + Howe's best years are usually underrated due to low totals, as sometimes, 95 is more than 199, and does not compensate on overall play while he needs it. We might bring the Gretzky-less world to crank Lemieux's award, but he'd still be trailing Gordie Howe for Hart awards. Not to mention that, with Gretzky out, suddenly Lemieux's competition doesn't look as great (vs. Howe of course) as it could possibly be (in other words, it's not an argument for Lemieux anymore).

I do think there's a small case for Lemieux above both Howe and Orr if one values goalscoring very heavily AND thinks Phil Esposito is a Top-10 player of all-time or something (and those two, one with the other, isn't THAT far-fetched) AND does frankly not care much about two-way play and stuff like that. Just don't argue Crosby over Ovechkin, however.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I have Lemieux ahead of Gretzky as the best offensive player ever

In part because of his size advantage, I think he had more weapons in his arsenal than Gretzky had in his

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You can certainly make arguments for Howe and Orr. It's tough to compare D-Men (Orr) to forwards though. It's just never an apples to apples comparison with that.

Personally I've always thought of Wayne as the best player of all time while believing Mario was actually the most physically talented player to ever play. Mario just had awful luck with the cancer and other injuries. He could have done some crazy things statistically if he would have stayed healthy. I think he would have surpassed Wayne in career goals.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I have Lemieux ahead of Gretzky as the best offensive player ever

In part because of his size advantage, I think he had more weapons in his arsenal than Gretzky had in his

Well, first off, there aren't too many players that don't have a size advantage on Gretzky heh
Second, Kovalev and Nilsson had more "weapons in their arsenal" than Gretzky too but that certainly didn't make them better.

Gretzky was clearly the best offensively because of his brain, not because of any physical attributes.
Now granted Mario's brain was far above most but it was still well behind Gretzky's.

Mario might have made plays that no one short of Gretzky could have pulled off but Gretzky made plays that no one else, Mario included, could have pulled off.

Sure, Mario could and did stick handle through 2-3 players to get to the net.
Difference is Gretzky didn't have to. Watch game tape of a prime Gretzky, he already had guys beat before they were even within 10-15 feet of him.
It was like Gretz had this bubble around him and if he didn't want you in that bubble, you simply weren't in it.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I would love too see Orr and howes hardware if there prime and Gretzkys crossed. The fact lemieux has what he has DESPITE not only that but his injuries and sickness is why I will never put Orr or howe above him.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Top 5 players

Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Hasek
Crosby

There is no argument on this planet that gets Crosby into the top-5 or even the top-10 at this point.
There's some 43 year old dude playing for Florida right now that might have something to say about that for starters not to mention a couple of guys named Howe and Hull, a certain french goalie that wore #33 or two other fella's named Bourque and Lidstrom.

I'd put Gretzky 4th before I'd put Crosby in the top-5

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Gretzky was clearly the best offensively because of his brain, not because of any physical attributes.
Now granted Mario's brain was far above most but it was still well behind Gretzky's.

Mario might have made plays that no one short of Gretzky could have pulled off but Gretzky made plays that no one else, Mario included, could have pulled off.

I disagree

I don't think Lemieux's hockey IQ is "well behind" anyone's - including Getzky's

Nor do I think there are things Gretzky could do that Mario could not, and in fact, I would argue the opposite. There isn't anything Gretzky could do on the ice that Mario couldn't, whereas there are things Lemieux could do that Gretzky couldn't

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I disagree

I don't think Lemieux's hockey IQ is "well behind" anyone's - including Getzky's

What I said was that Mario's hockey IQ was ONLY well behind Gretzky's.

Nor do I think there are things Gretzky could do that Mario could not, and in fact, I would argue the opposite. There isn't anything Gretzky could do on the ice that Mario couldn't, whereas there are things Lemieux could do that Gretzky couldn't

And I think you need to watch more Gretzky footage.
There were times Gretzky already had a team beat before he even crossed the Blueline and wouldn't have to stick handle through anybody.

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
In a nutshell :

Gretzky 4th : None. That would imply having Lemieux above him. International hockey is a bit irrelevant when comparing him to Orr and Howe due to lack of opportunity of those two.
Lemieux 4th : Prime inferior to Orr, do not compensate enough on longevity + Howe's best years are usually underrated due to low totals, as sometimes, 95 is more than 199, and does not compensate on overall play while he needs it. We might bring the Gretzky-less world to crank Lemieux's award, but he'd still be trailing Gordie Howe for Hart awards. Not to mention that, with Gretzky out, suddenly Lemieux's competition doesn't look as great (vs. Howe of course) as it could possibly be (in other words, it's not an argument for Lemieux anymore).

I do think there's a small case for Lemieux above both Howe and Orr if one values goalscoring very heavily AND thinks Phil Esposito is a Top-10 player of all-time or something (and those two, one with the other, isn't THAT far-fetched) AND does frankly not care much about two-way play and stuff like that. Just don't argue Crosby over Ovechkin, however.

If we're just talking point production, Lemieux with injuries probably has a similar prime to Howe. In terms of dominance, for each there is one high-end Gretzky-esque season (52-53 for Howe, 88-89 for Lemieux), three lower-end Gretzky-esque seasons (50-51, 51-52, and 53-54 for Howe; 87-88, 92-93, and 95-96 for Lemieux), and a couple of weaker Art Ross wins. If we're talking about pure offensive ability, one might give Lemieux the nod over Howe due to injuries and cancer hindering Lemieux. As for Orr, it depends on how much leeway one is willing to give for positional considerations.

Of course, if one puts very heavy weighting on the playoffs, one might come to a completely different "Big Four". Top-5 points per game finishes for qualifying post-seasons.

Gretzky: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4

Beliveau: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5

Howe: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 5, 5

Richard: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

Lafleur: 1, 1, 1, 3, 4

Esposito: 1, 1, 1, 2

Lemieux: 1, 1, 2, 2

Orr: 1, 1, 2, 3

Hull: 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Top-5 goals per game finishes for qualifying post-seasons:

Richard: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 4

Beliveau: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3

Gretzky: 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 5, 5

Lafleur: 1, 1, 4, 5, 5

Howe: 1, 1, 2, 3

Hull: 1, 1, 2, 5

Lemieux: 1, 2, 4, 5

Esposito: 1, 2, 2

Orr: 2, 3

If one doesn't like separating goals from points, then their playoff big five would probably be Howe, Richard, Beliveau, Gretzky, and Roy in chronological order. If one puts heavy emphasis on goals, their playoff big four would probably be Richard, Beliveau, Gretzky, and Roy in chronological order. With heavy playoff-goal weighting, the actual order would have to be Richard and Beliveau ahead of Gretzky. With Roy having an additional Conn Smythe over Gretzky, he might be ahead too... leaving Gretzky at #4.

Massive contortions FTW... ;)

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I disagree

Well, I mean, Gretzky could put up 200 points.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
I disagree

Mario couldn't put up 163 assists in a season. Not even in his wildest dreams....no matter the team or era.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Who has ever ranked Gretzky 4th?!

Gretzky/Orr
Howe
Lemieux

While certainly not a majority opinion, I've seen different posters in this section rank him there. However, this wasn't an attempt to mock them, but rather just to understand their reasoning, since to me I find it hard to understand.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I think you could claim them all above Gretzky if you truly believe Lemieux was more talented than him, including brain(Although decisively worse, that his physical tools made up for it). I think there legitimately is more reason to have doubts about 66 than 99, and the butterfly effect is an established term for a reason.
And for some consistency in the argument if someone so demands, the claim is also that Howe and Orr was more talented including that dreaded crown Gretzky wore above his shoulders.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
maybe they drank a lot of beer on Christmas ? :laugh:

It would take a lot more than beer to come to that conclusion lol.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that Orr and Howe are ranked ahead of Gretzky. So Gretzky vs Lemieux. Gretzky peaked higher, but let's say it's a wash. Gretzky destroys Lemieux in prime, longevity, playoffs, peer domination. There is literally no argument for Lemieux over Gretzky unless if every fantasy is twisted in Lemieux's favour and Gretzky isn't given the same benefit (health, keeping his paces for whole seasons, etc). Lemieux is the 2nd best offensive player imo, but Gretzky just had a bit more. Not a huge gap, but clear.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The way to rank Gretzky at 4th is to take the perspective that strictly-offensive superstars are not as valuable as all-around superstars.By virtue of being a weaker manifestation of the same profile, Lemieux must be ranked below 4th if Gretzky is 4th.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad