WJC: What are Switzerland's chances to make the quarterfinals?

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Any good?

For me, I think they can get to the quarterfinals. The group in which they are put in is doable. They can get past Slovakia, Germany for sure and get an upset over either Finland or USA.

wouldn't count them out. Assuming Conz will bring his a-game he could steal one or two for the Swizz. And there's also Nino of course.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Id say 95%

They have the weaker group, USA should easily take it. Finland, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia round out the group. I'm pretty sure Switzerland will beat out Germany and/or Slovakia (maybe Finland too) if Conz stands on his head. Making it past the quarterfinals will depend on how the team gels and how hard/good they're playing.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Id say 95%

They have the weaker group, USA should easily take it. Finland, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia round out the group. I'm pretty sure Switzerland will beat out Germany and/or Slovakia (maybe Finland too) if Conz stands on his head. Making it past the quarterfinals will depend on how the team gels and how hard/good they're playing.

No i would not say easily when ever you beleave that your just asking for a upset.The states if they play like they can and deal with the presure they should finish first in there pool.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I think Switzerland will soon be the 2nd power in Europe behind Sweden at both the junior and men's stages. Heck they might even be there now.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
No i would not say easily when ever you beleave that your just asking for a upset.The states if they play like they can and deal with the presure they should finish first in there pool.

Given their talent, speed, experience and defending champs added to the fact they do have the weaker group they SHOULD easily take it. I'm sure odds makers will agree. If someone says they WILL easily take it then yes, they are asking for an upset. I am not a U.S fan, but I admit they are the team to beat this tournament.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
I think Switzerland will soon be the 2nd power in Europe behind Sweden at both the junior and men's stages. Heck they might even be there now.

Might be better than Slovakia at the junior stage, but still behind them at the men's stage. Definitely starting to make a case for the "Big 8" with these high draft picks lately.

Pyke*

Switzerland is unlikely to win their pool, but if they beat the Americans they'd have a shot at it.

They should comfortably finish in the top 3; Slovakia is notoriously weak at the U20 and Germany is unlikely to be able to match them. Finland can, and will be tough.

If Switzerland can finish 2nd and draw the Russians (who are likely going to end up 3rd in Pool B), I think Switzerland could make the semis.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Switzerland is unlikely to win their pool, but if they beat the Americans they'd have a shot at it.

They should comfortably finish in the top 3; Slovakia is notoriously weak at the U20 and Germany is unlikely to be able to match them. Finland can, and will be tough.

If Switzerland can finish 2nd and draw the Russians (who are likely going to end up 3rd in Pool B), I think Switzerland could make the semis.

Don't underestimate the Slovaks and Germans. they both got pretty solid rosters and some studs participating. it's definitely not a piece of cake for the swiss to beat them both.

if they want to reach the semis, they have to upset a big one in the quarters.

Imo, they got:

no chance against Sweden (always a bad match-up)

slim chances against CAN and RUS (beating RUS 2 times in a row?)

fair chance against CZE (that should play relegation round if just going by strengh on paper in Pool B...)

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

No they aren´t there now and won´t be there anytime soon.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Don't underestimate the Slovaks and Germans. they both got pretty solid rosters and some studs participating. it's definitely not a piece of cake for the swiss to beat them both.

if they want to reach the semis, they have to upset a big one in the quarters.

Imo, they got:

no chance against Sweden (always a bad match-up)

slim chances against CAN and RUS (beating RUS 2 times in a row?)

fair chance against CZE (that should play relegation round if just going by strengh on paper in Pool B...)

I would also like to add that even in cases when Germany has a weaker roster than Switzerland it is never a piece of cake for the Swiss to beat them, the games are always 1-2 goal games and sometimes the Swiss seem to struggle against the Germans at the junior level just as Slovakia struggles against Switzerland.

I would say that the chances of making it to the quarterfinals are about equal for all of Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland and very small things can make the difference between who will and who won´t make it, but it will be interesting for sure. Stealing a point or two from Finland by one of these teams might also play a role. We will see, but I think that this last few years should have taught us that noone is guaranteed to make the quarterfinals even a team like Finland yet alone a team of the level like Switzerland. Doesn´t mean they won´t make it though. For obvious reasons I hope they won´t though.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I would also like to add that even in cases when Germany has a weaker roster than Switzerland it is never a piece of cake for the Swiss to beat them, the games are always 1-2 goal games and sometimes the Swiss seem to struggle against the Germans at the junior level just as Slovakia struggles against Switzerland.

I would say that the chances of making it to the quarterfinals are about equal for all of Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland and very small things can make the difference between who will and who won´t make it, but it will be interesting for sure. Stealing a point or two from Finland by one of these teams might also play a role. We will see, but I think that this last few years should have taught us that noone is guaranteed to make the quarterfinals even a team like Finland yet alone a team of the level like Switzerland. Doesn´t mean they won´t make it though. For obvious reasons I hope they won´t though.

agree.

I stated before that the relegation round will be much more likely than the semis for the swiss. Top or Flop is really close.
the group constellation makes it, that at least one of SUI, GER, SVK will finish top 6. it makes it even harder to flee relegation for the other 2's, cause they will probably face one of RUS/CZE/SWE in the close out games. assuming they will beat Norway, it will be the pre-round results that decides relegation... a lot of pressure in this 3 head-to-head games.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
My feeling: this year swiss can play relegation' round or maybe go in the final game of the championship.

People says that slovakia and germany are very strong. But this swiss team is probably the best for 4 years, maybe the best j-team ever.

All depends from single matches: it depends of course from goalie and niederreiter-bartschi. but also from nla's players: the D solidity and important will be the feelings on american rinks of scorers couple Hofmann and Inti Pestoni.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad