What are people's thought on Mark Hunter being a GM of an NHL team.

Scarbarian*

What do some of you who have been familiar with Mark Hunter's history as a London Knight GM, and his past draft history, the type of players he likes to go after, what trait does he value the most in a player etc.

If someone with insightful knowledge can chime in, that would be appreciated.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
What I can tell you is that there probably isn't a harder worker that you will meet. If you look at his track record, you will find that he has graduated several undrafted, unheralded players into the pros.

He has an ability to translate the intangibles past the obvious talent variables when assessing a player. From a junior hockey perspective this has worked - I would have to believe that he would be able to translate that success quotient to the NHL. I think the biggest thing he will bring to the table is being able to identify players that have what it takes to win.

He obviously knows the business end of hockey from the junior ranks, remains to be seen if that translates to the NHL.

I have to believe that part of his success is due to him also being and owner and having the coach as a brother. My point is that he was able to do what he wanted and when for the most part - no board of directors or owners in the way. I bring this up because he had stints (Sarnia, coach - St. John's, coach) where he was no where near as successful as he has been in London. Can he repeat this while others may have their spoon in the soup?

In summary, if left to his own devices, I wouldn't bet against him being one of, if not the best GM in the NHL sometime in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad