What are Jaden and Brayden doing in the top 5?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I was looking at some stats on nhl.com and was shocked to see that Jaden Schwartz and Brayden Schenn are 4th and 5th in scoring right now with 30 Points each. I wasn't aware that they were doing so well since there hasn't really been a massive amount of threads on HF Boards about them yet. Have these guys taken a step forward this season, because I always thought they were mid card jobbers at best. I mean why would the flyers have traded Schenn for picks and prospects if they thought he could've been this good? And I always viewed Jayden Schwartz as a Jori Lehtera kind of player at best.

Is this a case of multiplying negative numbers or just a side effect of them playing with Tarasenko? I don't know, just seems unsustainable to me. Both Jaden and Brayden were 55 Point players last year but are on pace for over 100 Points this year. Both guys are also riding a career high shooting %. What do you guys think, are Jaden and Brayden for real this year, or are they just having a prolonged hot start to the season?

Reactions: thedustman

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Mulletman at it again.

Schwartz=Lehtera? No comment. Just showing it to as many people as possible. Pure fun.

I remember Schenn as the best player on the canadian WJC team. He is maturing and gets the chance on the 1st line with some actually skilled players. What's the surprise? If there is any, it is not really a big one.

Reactions: bukwas

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
after the trade i thought, why were the flyers in such a hurry to trade away a young 60 point player entering his prime

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Honestly I think they’re playing better than Stamkos, Kucherov and Gaudreau. It’s insane to think Schwartz only has 4 PPP and Schenn 8.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This thread is just proof that good players that deserve a lot of attention and recognition exist in markets other than Canada, on a cost or some Cinderella story.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
First of all, not everyone rushes to start a thread every time they have a thought. Further, it seems like a lot of fan bases within the Central aren't so quick to post threads pumping their own guys' tires on the main boards. You don't see a lot of Nashville, St Louis, Dallas, or Minnesota fans rushing to the main boards to tell the world about their guy having a great game or quarter season or whatever. One shouldn't rely on the amount of threads about a topic on these boards to keep them informed on the important storylines within the NHL.

Second, Jori Lehtera has never scored more than 44 points in his career. Schwartz has only scored fewer than that three times: the first two seasons of his NHL career, one of which was only 7 games, and then when he only played 33 games in 2015-2016. How in the hell is Schwartz viewed as a "Jori Lehtera at best"?

Third, it likely is unsustainable. They have had a great opening, but it would take the biggest Blues homers in the world (or, more likely, the biggest Schwartz and Schenn homers in the world, so their own family) to expect them to maintain this kind of pace. They could, sure, but it's very unlikely.

There was a thread a week ago or so about analyzing the five best top lines in the league right now, and that line was one of them being analyzed. There's a thread sort of about them right there.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
First of all, not everyone rushes to start a thread every time they have a thought. Further, it seems like a lot of fan bases within the Central aren't so quick to post threads pumping their own guys' tires on the main boards. You don't see a lot of Nashville, St Louis, Dallas, or Minnesota fans rushing to the main boards to tell the world about their guy having a great game or quarter season or whatever. One shouldn't rely on the amount of threads about a topic on these boards to keep them informed on the important storylines within the NHL.

Second, Jori Lehtera has never scored more than 44 points in his career. Schwartz has only scored fewer than that three times: the first two seasons of his NHL career, one of which was only 7 games, and then when he only played 33 games in 2015-2016. How in the hell is Schwartz viewed as a "Jori Lehtera at best"?

Third, it likely is unsustainable. They have had a great opening, but it would take the biggest Blues homers in the world (or, more likely, the biggest Schwartz and Schenn homers in the world, so their own family) to expect them to maintain this kind of pace. They could, sure, but it's very unlikely.

There was a thread a week ago or so about analyzing the five best top lines in the league right now, and that line was one of them being analyzed. There's a thread sort of about them right there.

Very well said on all counts.

I think both finish with career best years but incredibly unlikely they finish where they are in the scoring race. I think Schwartz’s shooting percentage is 8% higher than his career average and Schenn is up a tick or two as well.

The fact that they haven’t had much success on the PP could cushion the fall though as you would think that would turn around a bit as well.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Very well said on all counts.

I think both finish with career best years but incredibly unlikely they finish where they are in the scoring race. I think Schwartz’s shooting percentage is 8% higher than his career average and Schenn is up a tick or two as well.

The fact that they haven’t had much success on the PP could cushion the fall though as you would think that would turn around a bit as well.

The PP was one thing that made me think they will have a substantial drop-off. For whatever reason, they just can't get it done with the advantage.

The only Blues game I've been able to watch all season was the game last night, so I won't put too much stock in the eye test. They looked dangerous most of the time, but they have clearly had many games in which they played much better (and, again, they looked fine last night but couldn't get it done). That's why I go with the two points you made about why their production is likely to begin slowing down: shot percentage probably will begin to fall at some point, and the PP having such a rough time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Schwartz has been an excellent player for a while now.

Not surprising to see the HF mob be blind-sided by something like that.

Reactions: Lancer

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's only going to get worse 18 years from now. I just looked at a list of top 1000 most popular baby boy names and all of these were on there: Aaden, Aden, Aiden, Braden, Braeden, Braiden, Brayden, Caden, Caiden, Cayden, Haiden Hayden, Jaden, Jaiden, Jayden, Kaeden, Kaiden, Kayden, Raiden, Rayden, Zaiden, Zayden.

People are weird, man.

It's mostly Western Canada as far as Canada is concerned.

I have no idea what they put in the water out there but it is astounding the amount of atrocious names people come up with over there.

I work in HR and came accross a poor girl who's name is Goldie Rich. Where is she from? BC of course.

And then there is Krz Plummer who plays for the Vancouver Giants.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the blues are playing some beautifully dominant hockey this year.

the most impressive team i've seen so far.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
after the trade i thought, why were the flyers in such a hurry to trade away a young 60 point player entering his prime
Given that the Flyers have a boatload of young D in Ghost, Provorov, Hagg, Sanehim, Morin, and still waiting for one goalie, Stolarz, Sandstrom, Hart to emerge, I wasn't surprised that they made a move. Just a bit surprised that it was Schenn rather than Giroux who is 3 years older. Giroux is likely down to a year or two left in his prime when the D and G finally hit their prime. Giroux is 29 in 2017. If you guess that a drop in pay occurs around age 33, it would have seemed to make more sense to move him out over Schenn who is 26.

Felt Philly should keep Schenn and Courtier and move Simmonds, who is 29 and UFA in 2019, Giroux as mentioned, and/or Vorachek who is 28 now. Forwards develop quicker than D, so easier to break in 19/20 year old forwards vs. 19/20 year old D. Hagg is a rookie but was drafted back in 2013, so he's 22 for example. See if Simmonds comes into play at the TDL this season. Should be able to get a bundle for him.

Surprised that Schenn is doing so well. His pace seems unsustainable over the season. Figured he was a good 2C or could play LW on the 1st line if you needed some grit on that 1st line.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Number one Jaden in points and number one Brayden in points in NHL history on the same line? Remarkable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad