What about the defense?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I have to ask, is the defense better? You know this team offensively is better, but what about defensively with Volchenkov and a healthy Rinne?

Is Volchenkov better than Bartley? It's hard not to be, that should answer the question. The last half of the season Bartley got more ice time than MDZ did. So the only other thing that is different besides bringing in Volchenkov is the young players now have more experience. I would say that would mean it is better, as you don't have

Rookie-Rookie
Rookie-Rookie

For the bottom 2 pairs.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I have to ask, is the defense better? You know this team offensively is better, but what about defensively with Volchenkov and a healthy Rinne?

Velchenkov > MDZ, defensively.

Second year Jones should be > rookie Jones if he paid attention to his off-season regimen.

Healthy Rinne >>>>> last year's goalie team.

So, yes, if Rinne stays healthy I think the team has definitely improved defensively.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK, let me rephrase that. Nashville last year had a -26 goal differential. How much of that can be recovered just from the improvements on defense?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I think they are counting on Velchenkov to be better than MDZ/Bartley along with the fact that Jones and Ekholm should be much improved as well. Josi also has some room to grow defensively and I think he already showed that last season as we got toward the end of the year. Ellis is another young guy who will probably play with Velckenkov which will help his game overall in that aspect.

Your concern for how we will be better than last season holds merit but I think we will be ok.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It's not a concern more of a 'HEY! Yeah you know the defense? Yeah the other side of the coin...It's getting better too.'

We have Volchenkov in ink on the Preds but there's 8 billion LHD in Milwaukee who could push for a spot.

Rinne will be healthy but does not have Mitch Korn.

All-in-All, I think this team could be better than we give credit for. Looking at the Conference records, last year all you needed was a positive goal differential to make the playoffs. That's 28 goals. Does this roster and new system fill that difference?

I say yes.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
With a new system, we really don't know.

Talent wise, we should be far better.

Rinne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hutton
Josi will imrove
Jones will improve
Ekholm will improve
Ellis really came on strong toward the end and I expect he'll be better.

Defensemen don't peak until around 28, so I expect all these guys to continue getting better. We have probably the most talented defense in the league. We just need experience.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I suspect we will give up only slightly fewer goals due to a more offensive system, but in that same vein we should score more goals as well.

There is a reason every thread you see someone is asking for one of our defensive guys ( even Ellis), Its young, but its talented. You figure another year of seasoning under their belts, Jones understanding what it takes, well I don't see it getting worse.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
With a new system, we really don't know.

Talent wise, we should be far better.

Rinne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hutton
Josi will imrove
Jones will improve
Ekholm will improve
Ellis really came on strong toward the end and I expect he'll be better.

Defensemen don't peak until around 28, so I expect all these guys to continue getting better. We have probably the most talented defense in the league. We just need experience.

Just to play devil's advocate:

Jones and Ekholm could sophomore slump
Klein > Volchenkov
Ellis's skating may be exposed in Lavi's system
Weber and Josi are coming off great years, could be hard to improve or repeat that.

But all in all, I'm more comfortable with this group than I have been with any Predator group in a while.

As far as goals against, well that is a team stat. IMO forwards have as much to do with that as the defense. I have absolutely no idea what to expect under a new coach.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just to play devil's advocate:

Jones and Ekholm could sophomore slump
Klein > Volchenkov
Ellis's skating may be exposed in Lavi's system
Weber and Josi are coming off great years, could be hard to improve or repeat that.

But all in all, I'm more comfortable with this group than I have been with any Predator group in a while.

As far as goals against, well that is a team stat. IMO forwards have as much to do with that as the defense. I have absolutely no idea what to expect under a new coach.

All of those things very well could happen, of course I'm still sitting thinking just what Weber's numbers would have been without Josi gone and his slow start. Unbelievable as it is, Weber actually has room to improve from last season.

I think if Josi stays healthy, he's at least as good as last year when he wasn't at the start.

Better Rinne, but worse defensively ( at least on paper) on the Forward front.

Eh I think we will be ok, but of course with this much youth, you never know. Although I think the Forward group managed to get older so who knows :laugh:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The D will be improved if nothing more than the year of experience of the young guys. My concern will be as offensive minded as Weber, Ellis are how other are they going to be burned pinching in. Which is something that Lavi promotes. There are some very talented forwards in the central and while Rinne is top 5 in the league he like any goalie is beatable at times. I expect Rinne to have 3 shutouts this season down from the 5 or 6 we are used to simply for the reason he will be left down defensivly more often due to the system.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Not overly impressed with Ekholm, but maybe he will grow on me. Really concerned about S&T for Jones so he has more stamina. Pretty clear he ran out of gas with about 1/3 of the season left.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Not overly impressed with Ekholm, but maybe he will grow on me. Really concerned about S&T for Jones so he has more stamina. Pretty clear he ran out of gas with about 1/3 of the season left.

Not that surprising he ran out of steam. Most Rookies tend to fall off towards the end of the season, especially if they are playing as much as he did most night. Before the season started I figured by the half way mark he would already be losing steam. Its a learning process most every hockey player has to adjust too ( especially one coming straight out of Juniors)

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Everyone saying the Preds will be worse defensively at the forward position are not taking into account the fact the Preds will be playing a puck possession game now under Lavy. The best defense is keeping the puck off the oppositon's sticks and onto your own. Hopefully dump and chase is mostly a thing of the past.
Also with a year's more experience, and a vet Dman on the 3rd pair and a healthy Rinne, the Preds' D has to be improved...no worries there.

Only thing I worry about on this team compared to last is the PK...

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Everyone saying the Preds will be worse defensively at the forward position are not taking into account the fact the Preds will be playing a puck possession game now under Lavy. The best defense is keeping the puck off the oppositon's sticks and onto your own. Hopefully dump and chase is mostly a thing of the past.
Also with a year's more experience, and a vet Dman on the 3rd pair and a healthy Rinne, the Preds' D has to be improved...no worries there.

Only thing I worry about on this team compared to last is the PK...

Laviolette plays a VERY aggressive PK. It will be quite a change from Trotz PK system. Contrary to popular belief, the Preds weren't very good on the PK under Trotz most years. I think that will improve under Lavy.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
One thing not overly discussed during last season's sadness involved Josi's long absence after Downey cheap-shotted him. Sure, not having Peks for such a long period, but seeing what YOS brought to the ice after his injury, there was a noticeable missing ingredient. With his improvement plus the experience the even younger players will bring, I look for the D to completely be the centerpiece of this team.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Laviolette plays a VERY aggressive PK. It will be quite a change from Trotz PK system. Contrary to popular belief, the Preds weren't very good on the PK under Trotz most years. I think that will improve under Lavy.

It was good when Peterson was here and I think Trotz not having Brent really hurt the team. That's just me though. It was like having two head coaches.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I hope they will be better at puck possession its going to be critical not only for the PK but other areas as well.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Little research giveaways from last season

giveaways NHL ranking
Borque 21 - 382
Clune 6 - 688
Cullen 40 - 140
Fish 38 - 161
Goose 20 - 409
Joke 30 - 250
Neal 22 - 362
Nystrom 16 - 479
Ribeye 46 - 92
Roy 20 - 400
Smith 49 - 78
Stalberg 23 - 332
Wilson 27 - 281
Bartley 7 - 678
Ekholm 33 - 215
Ellis 42 - 119
Jones 57 - 50
Josi 34 -198
Volchenkov 9 -638
Weber 50 - 74
Hutton 18 - 434
Rinne 18 - 445

These are total giveaways last year and the ranking is where they fall in the NHL in giveaways per 60 minutes play.

So yes puck possession is a issue they need to work on and as some have said it can be taught and I agree to a point. But it does indicate where they are and where they need to go. To put into perspective there will be 690 give or take a few players on opening day and while that number will increase the average per 60 minutes played will level the numbers out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I would be interested to know how many of Weber's were before Josi got back. Wonder if there was much difference? My guess is probably so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad