What about removing Pettersson from Karlsson?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Is it only me or does Pettersson continually refuse to give the puck to EK when EK is open but rather pass it himself to forwards in bad positions or simply dump it in/out? Like he thinks he can be some kind of secondary playmaker option from the back end. Did y’all see when EK was giving him the puck, rushing up the ice for an obvious one-two, instead he chose to give it to a standing still Rust further up the ice (fortunately Rust was clever enough to tip pass it between his legs to Karlsson, as he saw what was going on, but EK had already lost momentum in his skating) and this happens all the time. I read in a pre season interview that Pettersson basically thought “it’s not only Karlsson who can/should join the rush”… If you’re the D partner to one of the greatest offensive Dmen off all time you don’t try to be the offensive weapon or playmaker when you get the puck, the #1 option should always be to find EK with the cross ice pass, if EK isn’t open then you choose another option. The few stints last night EK had with Letang instead it was like he could finally breath again, like the very knowledge of having a D partner with the hockey IQ of a rat out there makes him lose all confidence. Coincidentally it was when Pettersson was not on the ice when EK scored his goal. What to do about it? Playing Letang + Karlsson as a #1 offensive pairing and playing Pettersson + Graves as a pure shutdown pairing?

Opinions?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
The best possible D the Pens could run right now (assuming Letang isn't week to week or something) is:

Graves-Karlsson
Petts-Letang
Ludvig-(some RHD not named Chad Ruhwedel)

Graves & Letang are both prone to brain farts so it makes sense to separate them.

If Letang is hurt, there's going to be a lot of pain though. Especially when we see who the new #2 RD is.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Is it only me or does Pettersson continually refuse to give the puck to EK when EK is open but rather pass it himself to forwards in bad positions or simply dump it in/out? Like he thinks he can be some kind of secondary playmaker option from the back end. Did y’all see when EK was giving him the puck, rushing up the ice for an obvious one-two, instead he chose to give it to a standing still Rust further up the ice (fortunately Rust was clever enough to tip pass it between his legs to Karlsson, as he saw what was going on, but EK had already lost momentum in his skating) and this happens all the time. I read in a pre season interview that Pettersson basically thought “it’s not only Karlsson who can/should join the rush”… If you’re the D partner to one of the greatest offensive Dmen off all time you don’t try to be the offensive weapon or playmaker when you get the puck, the #1 option should always be to find EK with the cross ice pass, if EK isn’t open then you choose another option. The few stints last night EK had with Letang instead it was like he could finally breath again, like the very knowledge of having a D partner with the hockey IQ of a rat out there makes him lose all confidence. Coincidentally it was when Pettersson was not on the ice when EK scored his goal. What to do about it? Playing Letang + Karlsson as a #1 offensive pairing and playing Pettersson + Graves as a pure shutdown pairing?

Opinions?
it's better than forcing him the puck at every chance. Imo

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I hate when players defer to "better" players just because

Petts will move the puck if it seems a good idea

This is pretty low on the list of issues on the pens lol

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
it's better than forcing him the puck at every chance. Imo
Not if you wanna have a chance at scoring, no

I hate when players defer to "better" players just because

Petts will move the puck if it seems a good idea

This is pretty low on the list of issues on the pens lol
“Good idea”? Let the elite players provide the good ideas and good things will come.

Of all the issues we have, not sure that's even in the top 10.

I have been nothing but happy with the Pettersson-Karlsson pairing.
That’s because you don’t recognize the scoring chances that never happened because Karlsson never got the the chance to distribute the puck those shifts. Pay extra attention to this issue next game and I’m sure you’ll know what I mean.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
The best possible D the Pens could run right now (assuming Letang isn't week to week or something) is:

Graves-Karlsson
Petts-Letang

Graves & Letang are both prone to brain farts so it makes sense to separate them.

If Letang is hurt, there's going to be a lot of pain though. Especially when we see who the new #2 RD is.
This. Karlsson doesn’t need a secondary option for puck moving Dman on his pairing. He’s much better utilized if everything runs through him and he gets the puck touches to develop swagger and confidence. He needs a solid stay at home Dman for a partner who doesn’t try to be anything more than that and that’s all there is to it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1697763617550.png

We're outscoring the opponents 8-3 with these two top pairs. They are the last thing I'd touch right now.
We should be thrilled that the EK pair is not conceding so far, cuz that was a big concern going into this season.

There's other problems to address.

Of all the issues we have, not sure that's even in the top 10.

I have been nothing but happy with the Pettersson-Karlsson pairing.
As you should be. They are quadrupling the opposition in goals.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The top two lines and top two defensive pairings have been excellent. There is no need to change anything there.

Missed opportunities happen with every combination. You're looking for something that isn't there.

Reactions: Beau Knows

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Not if you wanna have a chance at scoring, no

“Good idea”? Let the elite players provide the good ideas and good things will come.

That’s because you don’t recognize the scoring chances that never happened because Karlsson never got the the chance to distribute the puck those shifts. Pay extra attention to this issue next game and I’m sure you’ll know what I mean.

Okay, so, look, we're all really proud of Little Erik, too, and want to see him have success on the ice.

But you don't need to defend your son this strongly, Karen.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The top pairings are fine. There's a million other problems I would want to solve.

Petts + Karlsson I wouldn't even consider a problem. Also it's important that Petts doesn't defer always as it keeps the other team on there toes. Even if Petts success rate is lower.

Think of it like 3 point shooting in the NBA.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It also should be well known Erik has deferred to Petts.

If Karlsson is gonna carry 100% of the time why even have a 2nd D-man? Let's dress 4 forwards at all times when Karlsson is on the ice.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Graves-Karlsson
Petts-Letang

I'd try POJ-Shea as a third pair and watch POJ look better when he isn't trying to figure out what a dipshit like Ruhwedel is doing, because POJ is the puck mover BUT Turdwedel thinks he is too which causes that pair to be a mess. POJ has the talent, Ruh is devoid of it. Shea plays simple and allows POJ to play his game naturally.

The fact that a brain trust of idiot coaches can't see it is really reassuring of the direction we've seen them head towards the last 6yrs, which is right down the sewage pipe.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
the other team will just sit back waiting for that forced pass. taking away any chance of scoring. and it would give them great chances to score on you.
101 points last season using that strategy suggests otherwise

It also should be well known Erik has deferred to Petts.

If Karlsson is gonna carry 100% of the time why even have a 2nd D-man? Let's dress 4 forwards at all times when Karlsson is on the ice.
Uh…? No… someone has to play defense. What kind of logic is this?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He has 4 points in 4 games. At last year's pace it would be 5 points in 4 games. Calm Down.
What kind of argument is that? Points come and points go, that fluctuates, it’s a fact that EK wasn’t comfortable in his offensive game vs Red Wings until he was moved away from Pettersson in the 3rd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad