What about Danniel Briere???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Am i the only one that thinks the Sabres have a ton of talent that don't get "NOTICED". This guy was amazing this year. Of course Gretzky would never know that judging from all of his picks for team canada. There's even a thread about this and Briere's name isn't even on it!
And for all those people who think Buffalo don't score much? Well here's a fact for you all. They came 9th in the league in Goals for this year. 9th out of 30 teams. I guess that 21 goals in 3 games helped a lot. But anyways who else thinks Briere is amazing and would help Team Canada out?

Brett38

Feb 25, 2004
As good as Briere is, I think he would be best suited for Team Canada 2. I don't think he could knock anyone out of this lineup. Primeau, Lecavalier are both ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe Nash as well.

Sorry!!!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
alright

I can understand that...BUT i think when people make lists of who was left off team canada he deserve to be on that list! He should be recognized thats all

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I like Daniel Briere, but he does not eclipse any of the forwards named to Team Canada, nor several of the players left off the list. There are some checking grit additions to the team, an area where Briere does not contribute as much as many, many other Canadian players. Examples of such players on the roster are Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Brendan Morrow, and Simon Gagne.

Nor does he fit providing veteran leadership, as do Lemieux and Yzerman.

So Briere would have to make the team on the basis of his strong suit, which is offensive creativity and scoring. Ahead of him in that capacity on the team are Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla, Ryan Smyth, Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton, Martin St. Louis, Shane Doan, Patrick Marleau, and Brad Richards.

Briere is a fine hockey player, but he is not as offensively dynamic as those forwards. He was considered for the team, and that is an honor in its own right. He was not ignored, simply judged less worthy than the players named, an opinion with which I happen to agree. I also happen to think that Nash, Lecavalier, and Primeau would be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He's not good enough..there's no other way to put it. He's one of those guys who are above average but nothing spectacular. He got a lot of attention at the world championships too.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't think it's because Briere isn't good enough, it's simply a numbers game. Canada is stacked at the center position, with guys like Lemieux, Richards, Marleau, Sakic, and Thornton all capable of playing the center ice position.

~Canucklehead~

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
canucklehead17 said:
I don't think it's because Briere isn't good enough, it's simply a numbers game. Canada is stacked at the center position, with guys like Lemieux, Richards, Marleau, Sakic, and Thornton all capable of playing the center ice position.

~Canucklehead~

No, I assure you it's because he's not good enough. ;) I like Briere a lot but let's face it, he's not in the league of guys like Thornton, Iginla, Sakic, Lemieux, Marleau, etc.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sting004 said:
No, I assure you it's because he's not good enough. ;) I like Briere a lot but let's face it, he's not in the league of guys like Thornton, Iginla, Sakic, Lemieux, Marleau, etc.

In a nutshell, that's what I was saying. Canada is loaded with skilled centers, and Briere is a bit farther town the depth list than guys like Thornton, Sakic, Lemieux and Marleau(Iginla isn't a center).

~Canucklehead~

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
canucklehead17 said:
In a nutshell, that's what I was saying. Canada is loaded with skilled centers, and Briere is a bit farther town the depth list than guys like Thornton, Sakic, Lemieux and Marleau(Iginla isn't a center).

~Canucklehead~

Yeah I wasn't mentioning just centers..although the majority were heh. Even so, he's not up to the same level as the wingers, either. The only case you could make is Briere over Gagne but then he'd have to play the wing...and who's really better at international play?

Whatever the case, I just don't think Briere should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad