Line Combos: What about a reduced lineup?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I wonder if management should not consider a reduced lineup for next year in order to manage the cap.

18-19 players at all times
Max out cap with high-end talent used to a lot of ice time
Still leave some cap space for a high-end TDL player
Complement with lots of cheap waiver exempt players that move in and out of the lineup
Guys getting games off once in a while

The idea would be to get the most amount of talent and go back to a larger roster for the playoffs when there is no cap.

We would sacrifice the regular season to get the best playoff lineup.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I wonder if management should not consider a reduced lineup for next year in order to manage the cap.

18-19 players at all times
Max out cap with high-end talent used to a lot of ice time
Still leave some cap space for a high-end TDL player
Complement with lots of cheap waiver exempt players that move in and out of the lineup
Guys getting games off once in a while

The idea would be to get the most amount of talent and go back to a larger roster for the playoffs when there is no cap.

We would sacrifice the regular season to get the best playoff lineup.
With a 23 man roster there should be about $1.3m in capspace which will be enough to accrue plenty of capspace for a significant addition or two at the deadline, so there's no reason to go bare minimum.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
It's not the worst idea, until you miss the playoffs. Then it is the worst idea of all time.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
With a 23 man roster there should be about $1.3m in capspace which will be enough to accrue plenty of capspace for a significant addition or two at the deadline, so there's no reason to go bare minimum.
You did not get my point. You shave a few bottom 6 to get another top 6, for the whole season. It’s a cap concentration scheme.

Also I’m talking for the 2022-2023 season.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It's not the worst idea, until you miss the playoffs. Then it is the worst idea of all time.
I think we can cruise into the playoffs without our 4-5 worst players. We are probably going to bitch about them all year anyway.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Good depth is what wins, if they could actually use some ELC depth that’s one way to get cheaper but not totally sacrifice quality.

They don’t carry a 23 man roster as it is, they never have a healthy 8th D or 14th F on the roster. The only time it stacks up is if they have a few short term injuries.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Let’s gas out our top 18 so that we can pick up one guy for a mid season rental who may not even fit in with the team…..

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Let’s gas out our top 18 so that we can pick up one guy for a mid season rental who may not even fit in with the team…..

I’m talking full season not TDL.

It would obviously take guys that have stamina and are not injury prone.

Also maybe not the best thing for Bednar’s system but with another coach with a less stringent system I could see it.

Also as I said players would get nights off. Practices could also be relaxed a bit.

The plan would not be to win the presidents trophy, so some games we would be ok with going through the motions if things don’t go our way and we would win games on talent alone sometimes.

VGK were almost doing that because of cap issues. I absolutely think it’s something that a high talent team could be trying at some point. The season is meaningless.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad